1. Joined
    15 Jan '04
    Moves
    05 May '06 21:59
    I enjoy playing chess for the fun of playing (and because im competitive! 🙂). Impression I get from what people on this site is that some players use chess machines to beat opponents. Is this actually true? if so, what is the point? why waste your time? or am i missing a chance to improve my game?
  2. Joined
    15 Aug '05
    Moves
    05 May '06 22:14

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

3. Edmonton, Alberta
    Moves
    05 May '06 22:26
    Originally posted by davidtravelling
    I enjoy playing chess for the fun of playing (and because im competitive! 🙂). Impression I get from what people on this site is that some players use chess machines to beat opponents. Is this actually true? if so, what is the point? why waste your time? or am i missing a chance to improve my game?
    It's true for any site. There are always cheaters. I'm glad this site has consequences if someone gets caught cheating. Some sites don't do anything to cheater and don't try to catch them.
  4. Joined
    21 Jan '06
    Moves
    06 May '06 00:19
    Originally posted by Sicilian Smaug
    Are your suspicions based solely on the fact you lose games? Someone would have to be a bit of a waster to use an engine to beat a 1200s player.
    Not if the engine user was an 800s or a 1000s player trying to boost his rating.
  5. Standard memberDraxus
    Mr. Bombastic
    Ogden, Ut
    Moves
    06 May '06 05:30
    I've suspected the same thing from some players. Of course, I could just be losing, I always consider that.

I got suspicious one time when I lost three or four games in a row to a player with a rating of about 800. Recently I've played against another 800 rated player who was busting out some seriously strong moves. When I mentioned to him that I was suspicious he started playing extremelly different, throwing pieces away and such.

Perhaps I just suck 🙂
  6. Joined
    15 Jan '04
    Moves
    06 May '06 09:37
    Are your suspicions based solely on the fact you lose games? Someone would have to be a bit of a waster to use an engine to beat a 1200s player.
    No, i realise that i lose a lot of games because im not good enough (and make stupid moves) but from reading people's profiles sometimes they talk about chesstheory, opening moves from books and how they dont like playing against people who use computers.

Ive never done any of those and have completely self taught(although i could do with learning some opening moves so im not immediately at a disadvantage). I was wondering what the point was of using a computer to assist you with your moves, or whether, in fact, it is a very good way to improve your game as it shows you where you are going wrong.
  7. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    06 May '06 09:441 edit
    No. No one ever, ever, cheats. At anything.

I wonder what kind of rating my cell phone could get on RHP?
  8. Joined
    15 Aug '05
    Moves
    06 May '06 10:152 edits

9. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Quarantined World
    Moves
    06 May '06 10:23
    Using chess books is fine in correspondance chess, as is the use of opening databases that may take you 10+ moves into a game. When people talk of being against those who use computers, they are referring to the use of programs, for example Fritz. Some unscrupulous persons have used these to make all or a large number of their middle and end game moves. This leads to a ban from the site if found out.
    The use of engines is allowed on some sites and by the ICCF, but not here.
  10. Joined
    15 Aug '05
    Moves
    06 May '06 10:29

11. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Quarantined World
    Moves
    06 May '06 11:05
    Ok, I didnt know that. So would a beginner be able to use a program to make every one of his moves and then claim a high rating from it? Would they have to announce that is what they are doing? ANd if so, what would happen to them if found they were secretly using one?
    That's my understanding based on the discussion in the thread on whether OTB or CC masters are cleverer (http://www.redhotpawn.com/board/showthread.php?threadid=42484). I don't know the details of the rules, but I think on sites where they are allowed the assumption is that they'll be used.

The downside to allowing engines is, as you've observed, that you'll get a lot of players where the moves are generated soley by the machine. I think that it could be quite interesting to play a few games with engine assists for both players, but on the whole I prefer the situation we have here where it's clearly against the rules.
  12. Edmonton, Alberta
    Moves
    06 May '06 20:44
    Ok, I didnt know that. So would a beginner be able to use a program to make every one of his moves and then claim a high rating from it? Would they have to announce that is what they are doing? ANd if so, what would happen to them if found they were secretly using one?
    From what I know for those sites anything goes.

Books, databases, engines etc... The only thing you can't do is ask someone else for advice. So if you know a master or some other strong player you can't ask them for advice. But you do have you own personal master in your chess program which you can use.
  13. Joined
    29 Jul '01
    Moves
    06 May '06 23:24
    I have never seen a good man. I have a lock on the doors to the house too keep people out. There is a key to the ignition of the car. Why not a push button to start the car? If they will steal your car and rob your house then why would they be honest at playing a game? People are dishonest. They will cheat at anything they do. Some people are just more dishonest then others. Some people are a little more honest and are fair and just in most of the things they do. Yes some players in here will cheat to win.
  14. Joined
    15 Aug '05
    Moves
    06 May '06 23:36

15. Joined
    21 Sep '05
    Moves
    06 May '06 23:55
    That's why the bench outside Tesco's is chained and screwed to the ground.
    Yeah, but unfortunately I was half way down the road with it before I realised...

;-)

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree