1. Joined
    30 Sep '06
    Moves
    27 Oct '07 21:13
    "The Scotch Game (Batsford Chess Opening Guides) (Paperback)
    by Peter Wells".

I ask because this book costs $145 on Amazon which seems a lot compared to most opening books including those I have. Also there are others on the scotch opening which aren´t so expensive. I would apreciate if someone new the reason for this, is this perhaps a much better book than others?

Thanks in advance.
  2. Donation!~TONY~!
    1...c5!
    Your Kingside
    Moves
    27 Oct '07 21:23
    It's out of print, and also a very highly recommended book on the Scotch, so it goes for a lot of money. Joe Gallagher's "Winning with the King's Gambit" goes for a lot as well.
  3. Account suspended
    Moves
    27 Oct '07 21:382 edits
    Originally posted by Stephan Derrick
    by Peter Wells".

I ask because this book costs $145 on Amazon which seems a lot compared to most opening books including those I have. Also there are others on the scotch opening which aren´t so expensive. I would apreciate if someone new the reason for this, is this perhaps a much better book than others?

Thanks in advance.
    well "how karpov wins" is 65 on amazon while being 10 on another site. so be sure to check other sites.
  4. Joined
    19 Nov '05
    Moves
    27 Oct '07 22:41
    Not intimately, but we've met.
  5. Richmond Hill
    Moves
    28 Oct '07 01:11
    The Scotch Game is just that good.
  6. Joined
    09 Aug '01
    Moves
    28 Oct '07 02:22
    Originally posted by Stephan Derrick
    by Peter Wells".

Thanks in advance.
    not a classic.
    not worth the price.
  7. Joined
    07 Nov '04
    Moves
    28 Oct '07 09:59
    Originally posted by tonytiger41
    not a classic.
    not worth the price.
    I agree. That's a ludicrous price for an out-of-date book on an opening. Even the best openings books rapidly become out of date as theory evolves and changes. Gallagher's book on the King's Gambit mentioned above is an example. Inspirational when it first came out, much of the analysis in it is now dated and no longer valid.
  8. Joined
    15 Aug '05
    Moves
    28 Oct '07 11:26

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

9. Joined
    30 Sep '06
    Moves
    28 Oct '07 13:34
    Thanks for the answers. The thing is that this particular book is the far best reviewed of the books on the Scotch I have excamined. For example the books by Lane and Emms don´t get nearly as good a review.

I also think it´s to harsh to say the book is out of date, I mean it´s only around 10 years old and I´m sure that at least 90% of it is still usable and being an around elo 2000 player I´m sure it´s very useful for me.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree