1. Standard memberKorch
    Chess Warrior
    Riga
    Moves
    19 Aug '07 07:53
    Originally posted by kenan
    I would like to learn couple things from your handling of the hypermodern openings.

I sent you a PM.
    I`ve send you challenge.
  2. Standard memberchessisvanity
    THE BISHOP GOD
    Account suspended
    Moves
    19 Aug '07 07:58
    i play NLA!!!! reti sucks.....NLA RULES!!!
  3. Standard memberLekZ
    Why am I here?
    Moves
    19 Aug '07 08:12
    Originally posted by chessisvanity
    reti sucks.....enough said. sorry LekZ......
    I'm sorry if I don't value the opinion about my preferred opening by someone shouting in another thread: "THE CRAB, THE CRAB" 😉
  4. Standard memberchessisvanity
    THE BISHOP GOD
    Account suspended
    Moves
    19 Aug '07 08:18
    LMAO.....its late...LekZ...you know me......the crab thing was a joke........
  5. Standard memberLekZ
    Why am I here?
    Moves
    19 Aug '07 08:21
    Originally posted by chessisvanity
    LMAO.....its late...LekZ...you know me......the crab thing was a joke........
    It's late? Not here 😉 I just got out of bed, having breakfast 😉

But let's play a game, I play "THE CRAB", you play whatever you like... Let's see the outcome? 😉
  6. Standard memberchessisvanity
    THE BISHOP GOD
    Account suspended
    Moves
    19 Aug '07 08:23
    PFFFT BRING IT FOOL.....YOU CHALLENGE ME,.....(did ya see our forums lately?...i posted a game there) lmao
  7. Joined
    25 Jul '07
    Moves
    28 Aug '07 01:463 edits
    Originally posted by Kunsoo
    How do you avoid a cramped position as white when black plays d4? That is without transposing the game into a queen pawn opening?
    "The Ideas Behind the Chess Openings" by Reuben Fine has this to say about the Advance Variation:

"2 ... d4 cramps White and sets up a Benoni Counter Gambit with colours reversed. Careless play by White leads to an overwhelming position for his opponent; on the other hand Black's centre may collapse or prove terribly weak...

2 ... d4 is the normal reply for White against the Benoni Counter Gamibt (which White is playing here with colours reversed and a move in hand), so strong there that it constitutes a thorough refutation. Yet here it is somewhat dubious because of a new factor: the extra move makes it uncertain whether Black can maintain his powerful wedge at d4 under favourable circumstances or not.

Again, if Black is allowed to reinforce his d-pawn he will secure an overwhelming position. E.g., 3 b4 f6 4 Bb2 e5 5 a3 c5 6 bxc5 Bxc5 7 d3? Nc6 8 Nbd2 f5! 9 g3 Nf6 10 Bg2 0-0 11 0-0 Qe8 with terrific pressure.

We see why it is essential for White to hammer at the Black d-pawn early or secure compensation in some other way. For this reason both e3 and b4 must come in. It so happens that 3 e3 is best: then a normal line would run 3 ... c5 4 exd4 (again 4 b4 f6 5 bxc5 e5 is good for Black) cxd4 5 g3 Nc6 6 Bg2 g6 7 d3 Bg7 8 0-0 e5 9 Re1 f6 10 b4! (it is still strong; otherwise Black could consolidate his centre), 10 ... Nxb4 (otherwise White's pressure becomes too strong on the queenside) 11 Qa4+ Nc6 12 Nxd4 Qxd4 13 Bxc6+ Bd7 with equality. It should be noted that White's compensation for Black's strong centre consisted of pressure against the queenside, for which his KB is ideally situated. The attempt to hold d4 with a piece does not work out too well: if 3 ... Nc6 on 3 e3 4 exd4 Nxd4 5 Nxd4 Qxd4 6 Nc3 Bg4 7 Qa4+ c6 8 d3 and White's queen must soon retreat."

This is a great little book, by the way. Admittedly, section on the Reti is relatively short, as the book mostly deals with d- and e-pawn openings. But I can still highly recommend it, as it really delivers on what its title promises and gives you the ideas behind these openings, not just reams of variations.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree