Does anybody play the Reti?

Does anybody play the Reti?

Only Chess

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Moves
14 Aug 07

How do you avoid a cramped position as white when black plays d4? That is without transposing the game into a queen pawn opening?

Already mated

Omaha, Nebraska, USA

Moves
14 Aug 07

Originally posted by Kunsoo
How do you avoid a cramped position as white when black plays d4? That is without transposing the game into a queen pawn opening?
how about letting me know if you find out

s

Moves
14 Aug 07
1 edit

That's the Advance Variation, and it can be trouble for White. Here's some advice on dealing with it:

http://greenpointchess.org/2007/07/26/an-interesting-idea-in-the-reti-advance-variation/

I personally like to meet it with e3.

A

Moves
14 Aug 07
1 edit

2. e4! (Accelerated Budapest cant be that bad.)

n
The Ever Living

Third Earth

Moves
14 Aug 07

Check out some of LekZ games!

Moves
14 Aug 07

Okay, I'll do that. Thanx!

I saw one variation that looked like a reverse Benko gambit, but that's not really what I have in mind when I open with Reti.

I've used the opening ever since that famous game where Reti beat Capablanca with it. But I obviously need to study up a bit more.

Moves
14 Aug 07

Ever since reading that game that is. I wasn't born before 1924.

g

Moves
14 Aug 07

The game with an early d4 by Black often becomes a Benoni-reversed. After 1 Nf3 d5 2 c4 d4, I like 3 b4!?

z

Moves
14 Aug 07

I believe Weyerstrass and galaxyShield also employ it ocassionally.

Moves
14 Aug 07

Originally posted by gaychessplayer
The game with an early d4 by Black often becomes a Benoni-reversed. After 1 Nf3 d5 2 c4 d4, I like 3 b4!?
Yeah, I looked at those lines. They didn't impress me. Seems like black not only has equality, but more space.

L
Why am I here?

Moves
16 Aug 07
2 edits

Originally posted by najdorfslayer
Check out some of LekZ games!
*reporting*

I frequently use the Réti, it's almost a signature white opening for me. I was writing quite the elaborate response last night, but my computer decided to do a spontaneous reboot 😠 I searched through my games to find some advance variations and prepared the links, this time you'll have to use the search yourself, or provide me with better pc-cooling (since I suspect that to be the source of the reboot). If only the gamesexplorer got updated 😉

So I'll condense my response to:
1. Nf3, d5 2. c4, d4 3. e3 is sound, but I like to develop along Réti lines, a quick castle (g3, Bg2, 0-0) and prepare the pawn push (e4). I even had succes with Nb1-d2-e4. Personally I don't feel 2 ..., d4 makes my position cramped, just be quick, your opponent has to defend d4 and that is some valuable tempo. The bishop on g2 is looking straigth through the pawn wall, the black squared bishop is free to roam kingside, just put pressure on your opponent.

The link provided by synesis portrays a good example of the pawn push. Oh, and never fear the rim for your knight(s) in the Réti! 😉

Moves
19 Aug 07

thanks! I'll check it out.

c
THE BISHOP GOD

BOSTON

Moves
19 Aug 07

reti sucks.....enough said. sorry LekZ......

K
Chess Warrior

Riga

Moves
19 Aug 07

Originally posted by chessisvanity
reti sucks.....enough said. sorry LekZ......
Players who misunderstands hypermodern openings sucks much more.

k

Moves
19 Aug 07

Originally posted by Korch
Players who misunderstands hypermodern openings sucks much more.
I would like to learn couple things from your handling of the hypermodern openings.

I sent you a PM.