1. The Great North
    Moves
    16 Feb '06 00:13
    This isnt about a game in progress, so don't get your panties in a knot. I am just asking if anyone has any hints on endgame stratagies. I am going to a tournament in a few days and I need some advise. I aint new to the game so dont treat me like a baby.
    All hints welcome.
  2. Edmonton, Alberta
    Moves
    16 Feb '06 00:20
    Originally posted by AlpineXazax
    This isnt about a game in progress, so don't get your panties in a knot. I am just asking if anyone has any hints on endgame stratagies. I am going to a tournament in a few days and I need some advise. I aint new to the game so dont treat me like a baby.
    All hints welcome.
    Hints for endgames? Very vague question.

I'll give you the usual which you already know probably. I'm not sure what kind of feedback you were expecting??

Read and endgame book.
    If your up material, trade into a winning endgame.
    Be careful about opposition in endgames.
    Don't stalemate them.
    Don't get stuck with a knight and bishop and king vs a lone king unless you can checkmate them.

Beat them in the opening/middlegame and avoid the endgame altogether.
  3. The Great North
    Moves
    16 Feb '06 00:25
    Originally posted by RahimK
    Hints for endgames? Very vague question.

I'll give you the usual which you already know probably. I'm not sure what kind of feedback you were expecting??

Read and endgame book.
    If your up material, trade into a winning endgame.
    Be careful about opposition in endgames.
    Don't stalemate them.
    Don't get stuck with a knight and bishop and king vs a lone ...[text shortened]... can checkmate them.

Beat them in the opening/middlegame and avoid the endgame altogether.
    Heh, I knew most of that. Dont plan to read a book in a few days and im looking for ways to make a draw when i am down peices. Also, how to mate people when i am up peices.
  4. Edmonton, Alberta
    Moves
    16 Feb '06 01:21
    Heh, I knew most of that. Dont plan to read a book in a few days and im looking for ways to make a draw when i am down peices. Also, how to mate people when i am up peices.
    Draw can't help you with. Gotta read a book for that an even then it's very rare to force one.

Mates I can help you with:

http://www.princeton.edu/~jedwards/cif/intro.html
  5. Joined
    15 Oct '04
    Moves
    16 Feb '06 01:51
    All hints welcome.
    I have roman dzindzicashvili's comprehensive chess endgame course on .wmv files, i can send those to you if you want.
  6. Edmonton, Alberta
    Moves
    16 Feb '06 03:27
    Originally posted by Gambitzoid
    I have roman dzindzicashvili's comprehensive chess endgame course on .wmv files, i can send those to you if you want.
    You got any openings ones which he recommend something for white after 1.e4 for the different systems?
  7. Seattle
    Moves
    16 Feb '06 05:17
    Rules of Endgame
    By: The Endgame master
    AKA: C guy1 (j/k)
    -it is drawn position if...
    King vs King
    King vs bishop and King
    King vs Knight and King
    King vs Knight and Bishop and King
    King vs 2 Knights and King
    Rook and King vs Rook and King--usually
    King vs side pawn, King, and bishop on opposit color of square the pawn will be promoted on--unless if the solo king is far away from promotion square--

These are just drawn basic endgame postions...
    FYI--King vs 2 Bishops and King is do able, just very very hard
  8. Joined
    28 Sep '05
    Moves
    16 Feb '06 13:101 edit
    All hints welcome.
    Make sure you know when King + 1 pawn is a win and when its a draw, same goes for K + rook pawn + bishop. Remember that outside passed pawns are there as a distraction and when ahead trade down to a pawn endgame, pieces off - pawns on.
    Good luck
  9. Joined
    28 Sep '05
    Moves
    16 Feb '06 13:132 edits
    Originally posted by c guy1
    Rules of Endgame
    By: The Endgame master
    AKA: C guy1 (j/k)
    -it is drawn position if...
    King vs King
    King vs bishop and King
    King vs Knight and King
    King vs Knight and Bishop and King
    King vs 2 Knights and King
    Rook and King vs Rook and King--usually
    King vs side pawn, King, and bishop on opposit color of square the pawn will be promoted on--unless i ...[text shortened]... drawn basic endgame postions...
    FYI--King vs 2 Bishops and King is do able, just very very hard
    Hang on, K+N+B v K is a win, K+B+B v K is a win, too, neither very hard when you know the ideas.
  10. 127.0.0.1
    Moves
    16 Feb '06 16:50
    Endgames are greate because they are pure calculation. There is nothing else to em. Learn to calclate 9-10 moves out and you will be fine =)
  11. Standard memberBowmann
    Non-Subscriber
    RHP IQ
    Moves
    16 Feb '06 16:57
    Does anyone have any advise?
    Yes.

Learn to spell.
  12. Standard memberWulebgr
    Angler
    River City
    Moves
    16 Feb '06 18:13
    Originally posted by Bowmann
    Yes.

Learn to spell.
    hau wil dis hilfe mir schach?
  13. Standard memberArrakis
    D_U_N_E
    Account suspended
    Moves
    16 Feb '06 22:29
    Here's some Basic rules to increase your drawing chances. Obviously, every position must be evaluated for it's tactical and positional possibilities... but these rules will help you in the long run.

* When down on material EXCHANGE PAWNS! Cause a minor piece and king on the board cannot mate against you.

* Likewise, if you are down on pawns try to keep from exchanging pieces.

* Keep opposite colored bishops for the endgame. If you have a bishop against opposite colored bishop it usually takes a 2 pawn advantage to win.

* Rooks belong BEHIND passed pawns! Remember that.

* Knights are more valuable than rooks in a closed pawn structure.

* The bishop pair will kick butt in OPEN positions. Hence, do not make pawn exchanges to open the game if your opponent has the bishop pair.

arrakis
  14. The Great North
    Moves
    16 Feb '06 22:54
    Originally posted by arrakis
    Here's some Basic rules to increase your drawing chances. Obviously, every position must be evaluated for it's tactical and positional possibilities... but these rules will help you in the long run.

* When down on material EXCHANGE PAWNS! Cause a minor piece and king on the board cannot mate against you.

* Likewise, if you are down on pawns try to kee ...[text shortened]... , do not make pawn exchanges to open the game if your opponent has the bishop pair.

arrakis
    This is kinda the stuff im looking for. I have no idea how to spell "advise" propourly so dont bug me about that, and Gambitzoid, i'd be happy to take that file.
  15. Joined
    29 Jul '01
    Moves
    16 Feb '06 23:261 edit
    If you have ChessMaster review some of Josh's games. Maybe his game reviews will help you in that tournament.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree