1. Standard memberKorch
    Chess Warrior
    Riga
    Moves
    29 Aug '07 04:342 edits
    Originally posted by Shinidoki
    what I meant was, white must prove he has compensation --- "win" was the wrong word to use.

the point is, If fritz and I can only play it out to a draw then the gambit must be of "reasonable soundness"
    Statement "If fritz and I can only play it out to a draw then the gambit must be of "reasonable soundness" is real BS.

If black cant exploit their extra pawn it means that white have compensation enough and that gambit is sound enough to be played.
  2. Standard memberwargamer66
    Steve B.
    Salt Lake City
    Moves
    29 Aug '07 06:08
    Originally posted by Korch
    Statement [b]"If fritz and I can only play it out to a draw then the gambit must be of "reasonable soundness" is real BS.

If black cant exploit their extra pawn it means that white have compensation enough and that gambit is sound enough to be played.[/b]
    As I read it, playing to a draw implies that white has compensation and is playable, which led to him saying it was reasonably sound.

Korch, your style of rude forum bullying is getting pretty old. From now on I won't be bothering with any threads you are involved in.
  3. Standard memberKorch
    Chess Warrior
    Riga
    Moves
    29 Aug '07 06:22
    Originally posted by wargamer66
    As I read it, playing to a draw implies that white has compensation and is playable, which led to him saying it was reasonably sound.

Korch, your style of rude forum bullying is getting pretty old. From now on I won't be bothering with any threads you are involved in.
    "As I read it, playing to a draw implies that white has compensation and is playable, which led to him saying it was reasonably sound."

Right you are - seems like I did not wake up yet. My excuses to Shinidoki - I`m taking back my words about BS.

"Korch, your style of rude forum bullying is getting pretty old. From now on I won't be bothering with any threads you are involved in."

I dont care about it.
  4. Joined
    22 Aug '05
    Moves
    29 Aug '07 09:041 edit

"Korch, your style of rude forum bullying is getting pretty old. From now on I won't be bothering with any threads you are involved in."

I dont care about it.
    More of the usual arrogance from Kroch. 🙁
  5. Standard memberDragon Fire
    Lord of all beasts
    searching for truth
    Moves
    29 Aug '07 10:38
    Originally posted by Dr Strangelove
    I disagree. Korch is a strong chess player who, unlike many other strong players, appears happy to contribute constructively to the forums.

We might not always agree with him (such is the nature of any debate) but his reasoning is reasonable and sound.

In my opinion Korch is prepared to give any opening a chance and quite prepared to change his mind. I remember earlier threads where Korch suggested the Grob was unsound and perhaps unplayable so I played him a game which to date is the only Grob I have lost as white. Subsequent to that game Korch has played a number of Grobs as white, very successfully and now concedes that the Grob is indeed playable as white and cannot just be dismissed as a "Mickey Mouse" opening. In fact the lack of large numbers of games on any DB makes it a potent weapon in CC as you can rapidly get out of the book (which I have managed in playable lines as early as move 2). It is not as popular as 1. e4 or 1. d4 just as 2. d4 is not the most popular response to 1. e4 .. c5 and 2. f4 is not the favorite response to 1. e4 .. e5 but not being popular and being unsound are not the same thing.
  6. Joined
    21 Feb '06
    Moves
    29 Aug '07 15:08
    "As I read it, playing to a draw implies that white has compensation and is playable, which led to him saying it was reasonably sound."

Right you are - seems like I did not wake up yet. My excuses to Shinidoki - I`m taking back my words about BS.

I dont care about it.
    accepted 🙂
  7. Joined
    13 Apr '06
    Moves
    31 Aug '07 06:05
    Originally posted by Dr Strangelove
    Agreed. Korch arguments are self-serving - ignore the opinions of weak players and also ignore the opinions of GMs when they contradict yours (Korch's).
  8. Standard memberKorch
    Chess Warrior
    Riga
    Moves
    31 Aug '07 06:14
    Originally posted by z00t
    Agreed. Korch arguments are self-serving - ignore the opinions of weak players and also ignore the opinions of GMs when they contradict yours (Korch's).
    Show me particular example which proves your statement.

P.S. I dont feel guilty that you can refute none of "Mikey mouse openings", with particular lines.
  9. Joined
    15 Jun '06
    Moves
    25 Nov '07 04:00
    Originally posted by MoneyMaker7
    I agree with z00t. I mean we can all agree that the first tempo as white is almost irrelevant in games, and that all games should, technically, be drawn, since having the first move is like drawing first in a card game, it's not decisive.

So then, in the Morra Gambit, you automatically sacrifice a pawn, a central pawn. For what, if not just another ex ...[text shortened]... scores a surprising 68% for white. Maybe we should all be playing that.
    GAMBITS ARE NOT JUST FOR TEMPI!!!
  10. Joined
    19 Nov '05
    Moves
    25 Nov '07 06:26
    Originally posted by Dragon Fire
    [b]The contents of a series of PMs on z00ts claim the Morra Gambit is a mikey mouse opening.

DF > Then why did I win Game 3676033 against a player rated above 2000?

z00t > Because your opponent does not know how to play against the Smith Morra. I was playing it against a player now removed for 3(a) and black should not allow what ...[text shortened]... shed source to back your claims up?

Do I really need to comment further on this c***?[/b]
    Why are you publishing Private Messages? Did he agree with this?
  11. Standard memberDragon Fire
    Lord of all beasts
    searching for truth
    Moves
    25 Nov '07 20:36
    Originally posted by exigentsky
    Why are you publishing Private Messages? Did he agree with this?
    You don't know the history of z00t so are not in a position to comment, unless of course you are him!

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree