Don't move the pawns dang it

Don't move the pawns dang it

Only Chess

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Moves
21 Jan 12

Originally posted by st40
I was following a database until you went out of it with Nd1
12 full moves... some would call that cheating.

h

Moves
21 Jan 12

Should of played f3 after black played bg7 in the opening. I may be a lesser fish, just saying.

s

Moves
21 Jan 12

Originally posted by Trev33
pardon Trev?

E
Anansi

Woodshed

Moves
21 Jan 12

Originally posted by hintjul
Should of played f3 after black played bg7 in the opening. I may be a lesser fish, just saying.
Yes - I hear you both, that Qd2 is not the way

E
Anansi

Woodshed

Moves
21 Jan 12

Easy there now...

This is within the TOS, and the tradition of CC chess. Published human analysis, the latest chess mag whatever. Radio matches same thing.

t

Moves
21 Jan 12

I think trev was being cheeky.

Moves
22 Jan 12

Originally posted by Exuma
Easy there now...

This is within the TOS, and the tradition of CC chess. Published human analysis, the latest chess mag whatever. Radio matches same thing.
It might be within the TOS but it's hardly what you want to be playing against... it's basically plagiarism.

Any one who uses databases to make their moves should have a * beside their rating... i don't want to play them.

t

Moves
22 Jan 12

It might be within the TOS but it's hardly what you want to be playing against... it's basically plagiarism.

Any one who uses databases to make their moves should have a * beside their rating... i don't want to play them.
I remember most of my database anyway... LOL.

P

The Ghost Bishop

Moves
22 Jan 12

Originally posted by tomtom232
I remember most of my database anyway... LOL.
I haven't used DB's... but I don't think it loses much. If I did use a DB I'd just get stuck in positions I haven't studied. Without it, I feel pretty comfortable most of the time.

There might be a few positions I'll check into it - English Symmetrical is one. I can't really think of anything else where I need more DB work. It may be valuable for newer players though... or if you recorded your own games and checked where you're weakest?

Q

t

Moves
22 Jan 12

Originally posted by PhySiQ
I haven't used DB's... but I don't think it loses much. If I did use a DB I'd just get stuck in positions I haven't studied. Without it, I feel pretty comfortable most of the time.

There might be a few positions I'll check into it - English Symmetrical is one. I can't really think of anything else where I need more DB work. It may be valuable for newe ...[text shortened]... ers though... or if you recorded your own games and checked where you're weakest?

Q
I generally don't use them anymore but I have become so familiar with most of the ideas in the openings I use that I could play them many moves deep or I can leave "book" early knowing that my idea fits if I have a hunch that my opponent doesn't know what to do.

t

Moves
22 Jan 12
1 edit

Originally posted by tomtom232
I generally don't use them anymore but I have become so familiar with most of the ideas in the openings I use that I could play them many moves deep or I can leave "book" early knowing that my idea fits if I have a hunch that my opponent doesn't know what to do.
For instance.

This game my opponent leaves book at move 8 (I didn't even know we were still in book at that point) but the ideas still flow until I start to get in time trouble... I still try to use constructive ideas and they work out but only because my opponent blundered.

E
Anansi

Woodshed

Moves
22 Jan 12

This is interesting, and I admit I have felt this on occasion, more than 10 moves into some game, not playing chess but copying. Opening books lead to this also. On the other hand, all the openings I play are copied from someone at some point, learning chess is learning ideas from someone else no? How many moves is too many to copy?

m

In attack

Moves
22 Jan 12
1 edit

Originally posted by Exuma
This is interesting, and I admit I have felt this on occasion, more than 10 moves into some game, not playing chess but copying.
I copy the dragon all the time, and there have been 10 move sequences in this opening that I have regularly followed. I would never have been able to come up with the dragon on my own, so is it plagiarism now I use it? 😉

E
Anansi

Woodshed

Moves
22 Jan 12

Originally posted by morgski
I copy the dragon all the time, and there have been 10 move sequences in this opening that I have regularly followed. I would never have been able to come up with the dragon on my own, so is it plagiarism now I use it? 😉
The dragon is a draw - if you copy the moves you will see 😉