During OTB Play

During OTB Play

Only Chess

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

c

Russ's Pocket

Moves
19 Nov 09
1 edit

Lets say you have a candidate move, and you pick up piece x and before you place it down you spot a tactical flaw in your analysis. Can you keep piece x in your hand while re-calculating? Can you go out for a smoke? If when you're outside smoking you drop/set it down or what ever loose touch with it, is your move illegal? Can you replace piece x with a piece from a different set as long as its the same rank? Like for instance you make a Q move but pull a Q from your pocket that is huge.

h

Moves
19 Nov 09
1 edit

Just put it back on the original square. You'll still need to move that piece though, but if you're sneaky enough you might want to try your luck at moving another one 😛

I rather like your idea about taking the picked-up piece with you until you've decided on the move, but it's rather confusing for your opponent if there is a piece missing

B
King-Flicker

Leeds, UK.

Moves
19 Nov 09

If you touch the piece, that piece must be moved - however if you have not released the piece you do not have to place it on the square you intended when you moved it, and you may return the piece to it’s original square while you reconsider. Not sure about going for a smoke at such a critical juncture though! - I’m on rollies and it’s pretty hard to make one with a Queen in you’re hand 😉

a

Moves
19 Nov 09

Originally posted by heinzkat
Just put it back on the original square. You'll still need to move that piece though, but if you're sneaky enough you might want to try your luck at moving another one 😛

I rather like your idea about taking the picked-up piece with you until you've decided on the move, but it's rather confusing for your opponent if there is a piece missing
I'm not an OTB player, but I thought you could say " j'adoube"..... I think it means that you were just adjusting the piece..... and not be required to move it. I don't know if you have to say it before touching it. Or maybe that is considered to be cheating.

B
King-Flicker

Leeds, UK.

Moves
19 Nov 09
1 edit

Originally posted by acb123
I'm not an OTB player, but I thought you could say " j'adoube"..... I think it means that you were just adjusting the piece..... and not be required to move it. I don't know if you have to say it before touching it. Or maybe that is considered to be cheating.
You can do that, but you’re only meant to touch it lightly with you’re finger tips to adjust it - if you’ve physically picked it up off of the square, it would be pretty obvious you intended to move it and so going “j'adoube” would more or less be considered cheating, and I’m sure would cause a huge argument.

Best just not to pick up a piece at all unless you are 100% sure of the move or in time trouble 🙄

pp

Moves
20 Nov 09

Originally posted by cheshirecatstevens
Lets say you have a candidate move, and you pick up piece x and before you place it down you spot a tactical flaw in your analysis. Can you keep piece x in your hand while re-calculating? Can you go out for a smoke? If when you're outside smoking you drop/set it down or what ever loose touch with it, is your move illegal? Can you replace piece x ...[text shortened]... the same rank? Like for instance you make a Q move but pull a Q from your pocket that is huge.
not exactly what you're looking for, but here in Blitz WC carlsen moves a piece, lets go of it, and before hitting the clock moves it again. I didn't understand what happened next but my guess is that the arbiter didn't approve the second move and carlsen resigned because of that. this is pure speculation of course. does anyone recognize who's the other player? maybe we can figure out what happened from the score.

c

Russ's Pocket

Moves
20 Nov 09

Originally posted by philidor position
not exactly what you're looking for, but here in Blitz WC carlsen moves a piece, lets go of it, and before hitting the clock moves it again. I didn't understand what happened next but my guess is that the arbiter didn't approve the second move and carlsen resigned because of that. this is pure speculation of course. does anyone recognize who's the ...[text shortened]... can figure out what happened from the score.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n5QnEfVfKxw
mouse slip!

h

Moves
20 Nov 09

Originally posted by philidor position
not exactly what you're looking for, but here in Blitz WC carlsen moves a piece, lets go of it, and before hitting the clock moves it again. I didn't understand what happened next but my guess is that the arbiter didn't approve the second move and carlsen resigned because of that. this is pure speculation of course. does anyone recognize who's the ...[text shortened]... can figure out what happened from the score.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n5QnEfVfKxw
I remember this - but do not know more of the game. Immediately the analogy with a Kasparov - Polgar game was made...

pp

Moves
20 Nov 09
1 edit

Immediately the analogy with a Kasparov - Polgar game was made...
I hope carlsen doesn't learn too much of Kasparov's manners and limits himself to his work ethic and that laptop.

h

Moves
20 Nov 09

Wait, this is a new clip, wasn't there a Carlsen piece-let-go before? I remember now he referred to it as "mainly due to being clumsy" and it probably was at the Amber tournament...

h

Moves
20 Nov 09

Copy/paste

“Magnus moved his rook to a3 and discovered immediately the blunder (due to Rg3+). He mind was so occupied by registering the blunder and instinctively correcting it that he did not really notice whether he had released his rook at a3 or not. Aronian immediately took exception to the corrected move and the arbiter was involved. Magnus was somewhat surprised when the arbiter said that the video footage clearly showed that Magnus had released the rook on a3 before moving it to c1. He has not seen the video but of course he accepted the ruling of the arbiter, and duly resigned. 0-1. After the game Magnus has emphasised that he did not intentionally try to cheat and he has apologised to Aronian for any disagreement he may have felt during the episode.”

http://www.chessvibes.com/reports/amber-2008-round-4-leko-beats-anand/

IC

Moves
20 Nov 09

Originally posted by acb123
You are supposed to say j'adoube before touching the piece.

It is best to sit on your hands, they can be your worst enemy in OTB play.

h

Moves
20 Nov 09

The difference is that Kasparov got away with it against Polgar

http://www.chessgames.com/perl/chessgame?gid=1070704

IC

Moves
20 Nov 09

The difference is that Kasparov got away with it against Polgar

http://www.chessgames.com/perl/chessgame?gid=1070704
I remember that. Made Kasparov look bad didn't it?

rc

Moves
20 Nov 09
1 edit

i remember watching the cctv footage of the Fischer/Spassky match, Iceland 1972, when i think it was Spassky was reflecting at the board trying to determine where to put a piece, he had it in hand and was rolling it through his fingers, without letting go of it. also there is interesting moment from Fischer/Tal game where Tal places pawn on c6 signalling Caro Khan move, which had plagued Fisher, before moving it forward to c5. Is this type of toying with the pieces allowed as long as you do not let go of it.. i noticed when playing some persons, that they put their finger on top of the piece after placing it and double check, just to make sure, and only when they are satisfied, realise it!