Early drawn game. Fair to competition?

Early drawn game. Fair to competition?

Only Chess

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
22 Mar 10

Originally posted by orion25
The only real disadvantage of letting the lower rated player pass is that the lower rated player only has to win one of the games in order to pass, also this rule encourages lower rated players to enter the most drawish possible lines, which is kind of boring (not to say unfair - 2/3 of the possible results favour the lower rated player). I think I'd prefer the rules as they are now, it simply isn't worth the trouble.
No, it's not worth the trouble to get rid of an unethical practice to those who have little respect for the game or their fellow players.

As already stated, I personally prefer "coin flip" which has none of these "difficulties" (which are overstated and none compare to the problem of having players arrange among themselves to both advance).

Chess Librarian

The Stacks

Moves
23 Mar 10

Originally posted by no1marauder
If the shoe fits, wear it. Your claim was grossly untrue.
Lying is an accusation of intent to deceive, which is a very different claim that one which dusputes someone's graps of the facts.

I'm fine with your claim differing from mine ( I have directed or co-directed over 100 events for the USCF, and played in over 200 OTB tournaments, so I am pretty comfortable about what I have seen, but I won't pretend that my observations are the final word on the subject), but a willful claim of bad intent is, I believe, more than you can reasonably surmise from my posts.

To accuse someone of lying because they disagree with your view of the facts is inflammatory, and detracts from whatever otherwise excellent points you may want to make.

Paul

Chess Librarian

The Stacks

Moves
23 Mar 10

If the game is drawn the lowest graded player wins.
I have often felt I had a moral victory if I drew a higher rated player! 😀

Moves
23 Mar 10

I'm surprised that there is any debate at all in this thread. What these two players did is blatantly unethical and unfair to the other participants in the tournament who are doing their best to play out their games and advance the right way.

Both players owe all the other players in that tournament an apology and a public apology here on these forums for basically conducting themselves like dirtbags. If you had any ethics and any balls you'd stop making excuses and do this now and save the people here and the owners of RHP the trouble of having to modify the rules in order to deal with people that should know better.

Also, I find it ironic that one of them has the name "chessisagame". Well if it is just a damn game then why don't you play it rather than trying to rig a tournament in your favor?!

c

Moves
23 Mar 10

you wont be getting anything from me, internet chess and otb chess are 2 completely different animals. Anyone who has spent anytime doing both, know that. We arent playing for money, prizes or anything else. So, its not your losing anything. You are upset cause 2 players felt it was in their (not yours) best interest to draw. Tough luck.

R

The Smoke

Moves
23 Mar 10
4 edits

Originally posted by chessisagame
We arent playing for money, prizes or anything else...best interest to draw. Tough luck.
exactamento... no prize money..don't you contradict yourself? why 'rig' the games if all you can get in case of a win is your avatar displayed on the tourney page, and it's not like there are just a handful tourneys on RHP and you both desperately needed to win. It does surprise me how selective people can be when it comes to ethical matters... I cheated on my wife 'cause there are no rules forbidding that, tough luck on her.. why not instead just say: ahh, Redmike again, tough luck, a tough opponent to handle..but bring it on.. two different animals? is that like saying that cyberspace bullying is ok, but a 'real life' one is mean? what does the medium/environment have to do with one's personal ethics?

c

Moves
23 Mar 10

who says its rigging? Shouldnt I want to beat a stronger player right away? To be honest, I want to play new players or players i have not faced before. Not some one I have played 20x.

a

Moves
23 Mar 10

Originally posted by chessisagame
who says its rigging? Shouldnt I want to beat a stronger player right away? To be honest, I want to play new players or players i have not faced before. Not some one I have played 20x.
Look at the tournament entrants list. If there are people entered that you would rather not play, for whatever reason, don't put yourself into the tournament.

R
Godless Commie

Glasgow

Moves
23 Mar 10

Anybody would think we were all members of some ancient Samuri warrior code, with all this rubbish about ethics and respect for the opponent.

This is an internet chess site. It really isn't that important.

A couple of players didn't feel like playing out their games and agreed quick draws. Get over it.

a

Moves
23 Mar 10

Originally posted by Redmike
Anybody would think we were all members of some ancient Samuri warrior code, with all this rubbish about ethics and respect for the opponent.

A couple of players didn't feel like playing out their games and agreed quick draws. Get over it.
Most of us have a personal code of ethics and respect that we try to adhere to in all aspects of our lives. You obviously don't concern yourself with such things.

F

Moves
23 Mar 10

Originally posted by greenpawn34
Hi Fabs.

A lot of 'if's and buts' in your last post.

If you are losing, if you can salvage a draw, but you can throw games....

You forget that your opponent too has games to throw to remain the lowest
graded player and the clock is ticking.

How low is one prepared to go in shedding grading points to win one
tournament that does not even has ...[text shortened]... ld then be calling the players who had 0% match ups cheats. 🙂

Site Ideas here I come....
Ifs and buts... Perhaps...

Why change rules that works. I pointed out when the new rule doesn't work. But it would work the most of the times, because I don't think that people will use the loopholes very much. People are mostly moral.

So we say about using the rating systm too. Yet it is used by sandbaggers to gain advantages. This has produced extra rules about to hinder the sandbaggers, but still they are there, rating floors and such.

So the new rule will work, yes, I don't deny that, but a few will exploit it.

We have good rules now. Why change them? Do the majority of us that they are so bad so they need changes? I don't think so.

I say that Russ is doing a fine job. Let him have the time to do necessary upgrades, not to fiddle with changes of rules that works.

That's my opinion. No ifs, no buts.

p
Highlander

SEAsia

Moves
23 Mar 10

You got to admit the currant rules are a bit stupid.

Though by the reactions from some posters you would think that an agreed draw involved a baby sacrifice or something:-)

p
Highlander

SEAsia

Moves
23 Mar 10
2 edits

Originally posted by FabianFnas
Ifs and buts... Perhaps...

Why change rules that works. I pointed out when the new rule doesn't work. But it would work the most of the times, because I don't think that people will use the loopholes very much. People are mostly moral.

So we say about using the rating systm too. Yet it is used by sandbaggers to gain advantages. This has produced ext des, not to fiddle with changes of rules that works.

That's my opinion. No ifs, no buts.
I think you missed the bit about it being the ratings used at the start of the tourn to decide a drawn match.

I do not believe anyone would say that the currant rules are better than that proposed.

Moves
23 Mar 10

So you think simple, common sense consideration for other players in the tournament is rubbish? Nobody here thinks this is a huge deal on the level of a Samurai Warrrior code, baby sacrifice, or world peace or anything like that. What it is is simply two players on RHP acting like dirtbags and not having the balls and common courtesy to apologize for it.

It's not that hard. Man up.

rc

Moves
23 Mar 10

i am a ninja 🙂