1. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    19 Mar '10 16:33
    Originally posted by adramforall
    Maybe in the case of a tie they should value the pieces left, in all games and the player who has the highest total advances.
    Does that mean that a stalemate winner is the one with most pieces left too? No regards of who is in stalemate?
  2. SubscriberPaul Leggett
    Chess Librarian
    The Stacks
    Moves
    19 Mar '10 16:35
    Originally posted by chessisagame
    Okay. Since Im mentioned in the game, there was an agreement to draw early. I felt its unfortunate that 2 of the top 3 players in the tourney should meet in the first round. Having beaten Redmike several times in the past, I felt I'd rather face someone different, and have him advance as well. Its fair to both players, its not against the rules (as of yet).
    What exactly is meant by "an agreement to draw early"? Do you mean before the round started" or simply that after a few moves, both of you decided to draw?

Paul
  3. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    19 Mar '10 17:281 edit
    Okay. Since Im mentioned in the game, there was an agreement to draw early. I felt its unfortunate that 2 of the top 3 players in the tourney should meet in the first round. Having beaten Redmike several times in the past, I felt I'd rather face someone different, and have him advance as well. Its fair to both players, its not against the rules (as of yet).
    If you did that in an OTB tournament, you'd be tossed. Surely someone with a "2000 or so" USCF rating would know that. Your reasons for deliberately not playing your best are beneath contempt.
  4. Standard memberpeacedog
    Highlander
    SEAsia
    Moves
    19 Mar '10 17:32
    The main problem with these KO tourns seems to be that they are not seeded.

This random thing means its a lottery who progresses through the early rounds. If they were seeded, then this sort of thing wouldn't happen.
  5. Joined
    02 Jan '07
    Moves
    19 Mar '10 17:40
    The arguement against seeded tourneys is the weaker players would always get the tougher competion and thus very little incentive to play tourneys that werent banded.

You have the right to disagree thats fine, but lets be clear here. Nothing I did or Redmike did is against the current rules.
  6. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    19 Mar '10 17:41
    Originally posted by peacedog
    The main problem with these KO tourns seems to be that they are not seeded.

This random thing means its a lottery who progresses through the early rounds. If they were seeded, then this sort of thing wouldn't happen.
    Who cares if they're seeded or not? It's a violation of chess ethics to do what these people are doing. "I don't like who I got to play, so I'll just make sure I advance without having to really play".
  7. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    19 Mar '10 17:42
    The arguement against seeded tourneys is the weaker players would always get the tougher competion and thus very little incentive to play tourneys that werent banded.

You have the right to disagree thats fine, but lets be clear here. Nothing I did or Redmike did is against the current rules.
    No one said it was. We did say that it was poor sportsmanship and a violation of chess ethics. Surely an Expert OTB player would know this.
  8. Joined
    02 Jan '07
    Moves
    19 Mar '10 17:43
    Number 1, this isnt a OTB competion, so no one is getting "tossed". I dont care what you think about what i did. Sure, you have the right to dislike it, and thats fine.
  9. Joined
    24 Aug '07
    Moves
    19 Mar '10 17:471 edit
    Originally posted by Renars
    I can very well see you, Paul, being a politician 😉

as you may have noticed it reads 'fair' in the title (rather than 'illegal'😉 and 'fair' is subjective...and people are just expressing their opinions (it's you (self)-demonising yourself, imho). I think the whole point boils down to the concept of 'draw' in chess, those of us seeing these examples as ra ers that they are 'fishy'😉...

* yes, it is perfectly legal here on RHP site.
    (it's you (self)-demonising yourself, imho).

Actually, it was Marauder in the first thread that passed judgement and said I had no scruples.

In the other post, you also said the word "tremendous" (pressure) was bad usage of the word. You don't actually know the worry that went through my mind when I had a draw and the other guy didn't. You didn't actually experience it for yourself.

Rather than hang on every word I say, try looking at this unbiased.

Edit: Do you see the post where I twisted and reinterpreted everything you said? No, I didn't think so. Please stop trying to reinterpret my posts !!!
  10. Standard memberpeacedog
    Highlander
    SEAsia
    Moves
    19 Mar '10 17:57
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    Who cares if they're seeded or not? It's a violation of chess ethics to do what these people are doing. "I don't like who I got to play, so I'll just make sure I advance without having to really play".
    Well I care.

If it was a world championship cycle with RHP rules and Carlson and Topalov were paired in the first round!

What would you and the world think of that?
  11. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    19 Mar '10 17:59
    Number 1, this isnt a OTB competion, so no one is getting "tossed". I dont care what you think about what i did. Sure, you have the right to dislike it, and thats fine.
    Chess ethics are not restricted to OTB competition.

It's high time the Site Admins fixed this problem.
  12. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    19 Mar '10 18:00
    Originally posted by peacedog
    Well I care.

If it was a world championship cycle with RHP rules and Carlson and Topalov were paired in the first round!

What would you and the world think of that?
    What would the chess world think if they agreed to two six move draws because the rules were so stupid that they allowed both to advance if they did so?
  13. SubscriberPaul Leggett
    Chess Librarian
    The Stacks
    Moves
    19 Mar '10 18:03

This is from the FIDE website:

Article 12: The conduct of the players

The players shall take no action that will bring the game of chess into disrepute.

If the draw occurred during the normal course of play, and each player independently decided at a draw was in their best interest, that is one thing. However, if the draws were mutually agreed upon before the game started, and the moves were a facade, then I believe it was a violation of 12.1., as collusion to alter the result of a competition is certainly unethical and disreputable to the game.

I should make clear here that I don't know which was the case. And it would certainly be correct to say that we are not playing in FIDE-sanctioned events.
  14. Standard memberpeacedog
    Highlander
    SEAsia
    Moves
    19 Mar '10 18:07
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    What would the chess world think if they agreed to two six move draws because the rules were so stupid that they allowed both to advance if they did so?
    Indeed. That is what I meant:-)
  15. Joined
    02 Jan '07
    Moves
    19 Mar '10 18:37
    I could say it was in the best interests of both of us to accept the draw and move on to the next round.

The only ethics in internet chess is no cheating, otherwise pretty much anything goes. No one cheated, both players advanced, tough luck on everyone else.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree