Early drawn game. Fair to competition?

Early drawn game. Fair to competition?

Only Chess

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

c

Moves
19 Mar 10

Paul, it was during the game the draw was decided upon, not before.

P
Mystic Meg

tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4

Moves
19 Mar 10

Originally posted by chessisagame
Prove it.

Chess Librarian

The Stacks

Moves
19 Mar 10

That works for me! Thanks for clearing up the original message.

Chess Librarian

The Stacks

Moves
19 Mar 10

Originally posted by Phlabibit
Prove it.
I think this is unreasonable, since there is no way to prove a negative (proving that something didn't happen). There has to be an element of trust when we interact like this, and I give everyone else the same presumption of innocence I would want for myself.

Draws agreed upon during a game are a part of the game, even when said draw occurs on another board and is detrimental to us.

Lord knows I've seen plenty of potential prize $$$ disappear before my eyes at the last round of an OTB tournament because I was a half point out, and I needed someone to lose on a higher board, but they drew instead because it was logical and in their best interest to do so.

Paul

p
Highlander

SEAsia

Moves
19 Mar 10

You agreeing a draw is strange given that you are 300 points above him.

Even your story does not compute with me.

Given a match vs someone 300 below me, I'd guess 90% chance I'd win.

Play the game man!

P
Mystic Meg

tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4

Moves
19 Mar 10

Originally posted by Paul Leggett
I think this is unreasonable, since there is no way to prove a negative (proving that something didn't happen). There has to be an element of trust when we interact like this, and I give everyone else the same presumption of innocence I would want for myself.

Draws agreed upon during a game are a part of the game, even when said draw occurs on ano ...[text shortened]... ard, but they drew instead because it was logical and in their best interest to do so.

Paul
How interested in this topic would you be if 2 lower rated players did the same? What if they each convinced their opponents the next round 'agreed' that next round they would draw after 6 moves and now 4 draws caused low rated players to advance to the third round?

Sure none might win, but now the tourney takes even longer with the few extra games that must be played to beat off these low rated players who for some UNKNOWN reason decided on a draw in less than 10 moves?

It can't be proven one way or the other if it was decided before the game, but the draw position in the 2 games shown doesn't look any more like a draw position than the start position of any chess game.

You're happy with the 'explanation' you got, I'm not so much willing to believe it or accept it, though I know there is no way to prove it one way or the other. Just saying is all.

P-

c

Moves
19 Mar 10

check the message logs, or admin can do it

c

Moves
19 Mar 10

Peace dog,

Redmike has beaten me in the past. I'd just rather play him down the road rather in the first round.

p
Highlander

SEAsia

Moves
19 Mar 10

Peace dog,

Redmike has beaten me in the past. I'd just rather play him down the road rather in the first round.
So are you happy with the currant rules?

I'm not.

P
Mystic Meg

tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4

Moves
19 Mar 10

check the message logs, or admin can do it
Who's to say it wasn't an email sent? I send emails to users here at RHP if I fear admins might not like what I want to say.

It can't be proven or unproven either way. That is irrelevant.

In other games there are 'unwritten rules'. Baseball is an example. If someone is pitching a no-hitter, you just don't bunt to try and get on base. It can only be enforced by that players peers on both sides. Player decides he's going to bunt, the player who 'broke the unwritten rule' is going to hear about it.

This early draw agreement is there for all to see. Perhaps you don't care, that's fine. Just understand we do. You can say it's perfectly fine, and that's perfectly fine. Just don't expect many of us to agree with your view.

It's like the guy who sandbags down to 1300 from 1800+ so he can have a tourney victory. It's well within the rules, but that tourney victory is a black mark on the profile in my mind when a player drops down just to say they won a tourney.

P-

c

Moves
19 Mar 10

I'd provide my login passwords to admin if they wanted to check if an email was sent. Plus admin can always check their logs. Shouldnt be that hard to do.

p
Highlander

SEAsia

Moves
19 Mar 10
1 edit

I'd provide my login passwords to admin if they wanted to check if an email was sent. Plus admin can always check their logs. Shouldnt be that hard to do.
I think you, and others, are taking things to personal.

So what should the rule changes be, if any?

c

Moves
19 Mar 10

Im not sure there can or will be any changes to the draw rule by admin.

h

Moves
19 Mar 10

So what I'm beginning to conclude is that the early draw situation is only a 'real' problem in the duel format. So perhaps a few ideas:

1.) Consider it allowable (though perhaps frowned upon) to draw early but make it known to those who enter duels that this is commonplace. Perhaps this decreases the number of people interested in entering duels, but they aren't surprised when it happens.
2.) Ban this practice and site admins can monitor for it, and/or check situations if there is suspicion.

Honestly, I personally, would not have a problem either way. Like I said, I don't like the practice but understand the position of the players involved. I just feel it would be better if such practices were more transparent, perhaps listed in the FAQ section.

c

Moves
19 Mar 10

In banded duels it wouldnt be an issue either since everyone (save a sandbagger) would be at the same level reasonably.