1. Standard memberflexmore
    Quack Quack Quack !
    Chesstralia
    Moves
    11 Jan '06 11:06
    "eat the most powerful piece first'

these words were the words of wisdom given to me (by a player rated 150 points higher than tebb) a decade ago ...

they referred to wild tactical situations ...

what do you think of them?

i like them ... but of course they are not ALWAYS true.
  2. Joined
    17 Jun '05
    Moves
    11 Jan '06 11:18
    Originally posted by flexmore

these words were the words of wisdom given to me (by a player rated 150 points higher than tebb) a decade ago ...

I like to get rid of there queen if I can keeping mine. Who doesn't?

I guess there are times when you can't, a lot of rules are not "ALWAYS true"
  3. Joined
    13 Oct '04
    Moves
    11 Jan '06 11:421 edit
    I don’t think rules will be of much help in wild tactical situations.
  4. Milton Keynes, UK
    Moves
    11 Jan '06 12:472 edits
    Yep, eating the most powerful piece first would not work here (white to move).

5. Joined
    22 Aug '05
    Moves
    11 Jan '06 13:55
    Originally posted by lausey

[fen]q3r2k/5ppp/8/8/4Q3/8/8/4R1K1 w - - 0 1[/fen]
    Not exactly wild. Or tactical, eh?
  6. Milton Keynes, UK
    Moves
    11 Jan '06 13:56
    Originally posted by Dr Strangelove
    Not exactly wild. Or tactical, eh?
    Nope, but an effective demonstration.
  7. London
    Moves
    11 Jan '06 14:02

[fen]q3r2k/5ppp/8/8/4Q3/8/8/4R1K1 w - - 0 1[/fen]
    I like the way you moved the king across one square after you realised that you would have to take the most powerful piece or lose your queen (as white) 😛
  8. Milton Keynes, UK
    Moves
    11 Jan '06 14:07
    Originally posted by Freddie2006
    I like the way you moved the king across one square after you realised that you would have to take the most powerful piece or lose your queen (as white) 😛
    Yep, well spotted. 😀
  9. Edmonton, Alberta
    Moves
    11 Jan '06 19:03
    The saying isn't always true. Example:

You can sac a rook for a knight sometimes and then say when he rook takes back, you can pin to his king/queen with a bishop and keep piling on it and eventually win it for free, hence winning a whole knight for nothing. I've never used this before, so close though, but i've seen GM's use several times.
  10. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    Insanity at Masada
    tinyurl.com/mw7txe34
    Moves
    11 Jan '06 19:56

Interesting advice. I have no idea if it's useful or not, but I'll try to remember it next time I need to think about a potential combination.
  11. 127.0.0.1
    Moves
    11 Jan '06 19:58
    All rules were made to be broken.

Or put another way,

There is an exception to every rule, especially in chess.
  12. Joined
    14 Oct '01
    Moves
    11 Jan '06 21:411 edit
    I think it's not good advice...often you may want to give a check first or do something else which is more forcing than just taking the powerful piece.

It's just this type of rigid thinking that can make it hard to spot combinations or make you commit "assumption" errors when calculating lines (e.g. you are locked into thinking "i do this and he must then do that)

The more I see good players making great combinations the more I realize you have to free you mind!!! no rigid rules or simple guidelines such as this
  13. Milton Keynes, UK
    Moves
    11 Jan '06 21:51
    I suppose it is just advice for absolute beginners to get to know the game. As they get more experienced, they begin to know when to break the "rules".
  14. Edmonton, Alberta
    Moves
    11 Jan '06 22:30
    I suppose it is just advice for absolute beginners to get to know the game. As they get more experienced, they begin to know when to break the "rules".
    Yup for begginers. You have an option of taking several hanging pieces. Take the queen first, then rook, then pieces etc..

There was a puzzle like that in Yasser Seirwan tactics book. You could have tooken everything of blacks except the king. Most kids went for the rook because the queen one was harder to find for kids but it was there. And he said wait and find the best move, you can win a queen instead of just a rook.
  15. Big D
    Moves
    13 Jan '06 19:51

"Eat the most powerful piece first." Hmmm. Forget this tired bromide. The whole key to chess or any game of skill is to: Gang up on'em and smush'em!

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree