1. Joined
    23 Jan '09
    Moves
    02 Apr '09 10:03
    Originally posted by Diet Coke
    Does your new (future) grading for 2009 take into account games played in 2007/2008 and before (beyond using your new grading as your benchmark grading)?

BTW, this is my grading reference. 259430E
    I think it is interesting that in this new rating shake up they have gone back to the old formula for converting ECF to FIDE.

http://grading.bcfservices.org.uk/newgrades.php

Unfortunately this page doesn't really say what happens if you have spent the vital season out but presumably they can derive a grade from your results against your opponents "new" ratings this season. They state that the new rating was calculated over four years so some past results probably will count.
  2. Standard memberDiet Coke
    Forum Vampire
    Sidmouth, Uk
    Moves
    25 Apr '09 12:48
    I used the formula from the ECF page below

Adult New Grade = 0.79 x Old Grade + 44

This gives me an estimated new grade of 117 breaking 100 without playing a game. 😳

I then used this new grade to calculate my grading performance for this season (using the new grades of my opponents) which puts me at a nosebleed inducing 151.😕

Interestingly (or not) my old grade would be 128.
  3. e4
    Moves
    25 Apr '09 13:38
    When are you guys going to get together and demand you have the
    same rating system as the rest of the planet?

A grade of 151 means nothing to us.

Do we add a '0' so your OTB grade is 1510?

Or are you wating for the Planet to change to your system.

C'mon join us,
    Hold you heads up high and walk in the sunshine happy
    in the knowledge you have an ELO grade.

(ps does the formula ECF x 8 + 600 = Elo still hold under the 'new' system?)
  4. Standard memberDiet Coke
    Forum Vampire
    Sidmouth, Uk
    Moves
    25 Apr '09 13:49
    The day after hell freezes over, which is one day before we start driving on the right.😛

Yeah, that conversion still holds and the FIDE conversion will be that to as well.

Meh, ELO grades mean nothing to me.
  5. Standard memberDiet Coke
    Forum Vampire
    Sidmouth, Uk
    Moves
    11 Aug '09 21:59
    New grades out today.

Personally I'm up 49 to 141.

Anyone else?
  6. Standard memberJonathanB of London
    Curb Your Enthusiasm
    London
    Moves
    11 Aug '09 22:16
    New grades out today.

Personally I'm up 49 to 141.

Anyone else?
    Up to a new personal best ... 166

was 135 last year which was estimate equivalent of 150ish under the new system.

So ... 10% my improvement but mostly the ratings adjustment. If they'd tweaked it a bit more I might have got an IM title!
  7. Standard memberJonathanB of London
    Curb Your Enthusiasm
    London
    Moves
    11 Aug '09 22:181 edit
    Originally posted by greenpawn34

(ps does the formula ECF x 8 + 600 = Elo still hold under the 'new' system?)
    the ecf
    http://grading.bcfservices.org.uk/help.php#elo

says that the conversion formula you cite is to work out a 'national' elo.

the FIDE elo is ECF * 8 + 650.

I've no idea what the difference is but since the FIDE elo works out bigger I'll take that one thank you very much. Mine's 1978 btw.

Anything interesting happen that year?
  8. Standard memberDiet Coke
    Forum Vampire
    Sidmouth, Uk
    Moves
    11 Aug '09 22:28
    Originally posted by JonathanB of London
    Up to a new personal best ... 166

was 135 last year which was estimate equivalent of 150ish under the new system.

So ... 10% my improvement but mostly the ratings adjustment. If they'd tweaked it a bit more I might have got an IM title!
    Congrats!😀

Are you eager to prove your fancy new grade?

Or worried you gonna be shelling out a ton of points?
  9. e4
    Moves
    11 Aug '09 23:35
    The English grading system is all shot to hell.

it appears loads of players have higher grades than what they should have.

If I'm reading it right all the junior players grades hava had a
    massive leap - some getting and extra 40 points just for being 17.
    (that's about 200 FIDE points).

When they start to lose games they will spread their false grades
    around like the pox

It will take about 5 years before it settles down.

Everyone is having a right moan about on here.

http://www.ecforum.org.uk/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=115&start=105
  10. Standard memberJonathanB of London
    Curb Your Enthusiasm
    London
    Moves
    12 Aug '09 08:06
    Originally posted by greenpawn34

Everyone is having a right moan about on here.

http://www.ecforum.org.uk/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=115&start=105
    In the middle of that thread is a story about a guy who came back to chess after 10 years off. He scored 9.5 out of his 10 games against middle ranked club oppposition and is now ranked in the top 50 in the country!

I played him on board 5 of a 2nd division London League match. I got comprehensively stuffed but you don't normally get top 50 players in those sort of games.
  11. Standard memberJonathanB of London
    Curb Your Enthusiasm
    London
    Moves
    12 Aug '09 08:08
    Congrats!😀

Are you eager to prove your fancy new grade?

Or worried you gonna be shelling out a ton of points?
    I reckon I would have gone up to about 150 old money anyway. Since everybody else now seems to be overgraded too I hope to be able to maintain my present level.

We'll see.

There will be some important implications for a lot of tournaments and club teams though. I'm now not eligible for a few grade limited events. Multiply that across the country and there could be a lot of quiet tournaments this year.
  12. Standard memberDiet Coke
    Forum Vampire
    Sidmouth, Uk
    Moves
    12 Aug '09 08:39
    Originally posted by JonathanB of London
    I reckon I would have gone up to about 150 old money anyway. Since everybody else now seems to be overgraded too I hope to be able to maintain my present level.

We'll see.

There will be some important implications for a lot of tournaments and club teams though. I'm now not eligible for a few grade limited events. Multiply that across the country and there could be a lot of quiet tournaments this year.
    In other tournaments we won't have half the players in the bottom section.😀

Personally, if the grading boundaries stay the same as seems to be indicated, I'll be playing in at least one Open Tourney this year.

And Devon U150s will be calling any day now.😀
  13. Standard memberatticus2
    Frustrate the Bad
    Liverpool
    Moves
    12 Aug '09 11:26
    Originally posted by Fat Lady
    I was trying to work out how many English / British players from RHP are above 200 as I consider that to be the level where the really good players start.

I could only find one; though one player on this site who isn't even in the top fifty here went up from 182 to 196, which suggests he had a fantastic season.

My ambition is to reach 200, though I know in my heart it's beyond my reach. Perhaps 174 would be more realistic.
    I know one player in here, Northern Lad, who has been 200+ for years with an Elo of 2300. On the new list, he drops just below 200, mainly because of inactivity. Another, David Tebb lies just below 200 OTB and has done for a long time. One might suppose a mark-up on OTB grades for CC-style chess, especially where the OTB is played mainly in the semi-rapid local leagues. But for me anyway, NL & DT act as a benchmark in here. Both are better OTB than I am these days; both are younger too! So I regard my RHP grade as 'ahead of myself', even allowing for my past CC experience.

On this basis though, where I find a player's OTB grade (if known) diverges significantly from their RHP grade, my nostrils start twitching. Put bluntly: no one, absolutely no one, can have an OTB Elo of, say, 1900, and an RHP rating of 2200+.

As for Fat Lady reaching 200, my best wishes. I reached it for a year or so (205) many years back, from a 'natural' grade at the time of 190-ish. It was hard to reach then; and harder to hold without more effort than I was willing to give. But, depending on FL's age, if the 'natural' adult grade is 170-ish, then alas, 200 will remain out of reach forever - the climb is too steep.

On the general issue of players, 200+ (ECF) or 2200-2250+ (Elo), they are indeed a class apart. They understand more; their judgement is far better; and if they hold their grade over time, it is not by accident. There are very few such players in here, I think.
  14. Standard memberJonathanB of London
    Curb Your Enthusiasm
    London
    Moves
    12 Aug '09 11:58
    Originally posted by atticus2

On this basis though, where I find a player's OTB grade (if known) diverges significantly from their RHP grade, my nostrils start twitching. Put bluntly: no one, absolutely no one, can have an OTB Elo of, say, 1900, and an RHP rating of 2200+.
    I think I would agree with this.

A while back I was asking about average strength opposition when I noticed for some of the top players the figures are very low.

I occurred to me that one way to get a very high rating here is to bash up 100s of players a long way below your strenght. the odd accident taken into consideration, the point or two you'd get each game would eventually add up.

OTB, it seems to me, players don't tend to play a lot of games against people graded a lot more or a lot less than them.

That's one reason why OTB rating and RHP rating might diverge - but that said, fundamentally I don't think it should be so different that a 1900 elo could become a 2200+ RHP.

As ever, the most simple explanation for examples of that phenomenon is very likely to be the corret one.
  15. Standard membervatiquette
    Light Square Bishop
    Pawn Shop
    Moves
    12 Aug '09 12:46
    I don't know if this is helpful buy my OTB grade is (old: 68) new 98.

I think OTB is a different game since the game is not fragmented and ideas from other games you are playing are not there to influence you.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree