1. Standard memberhunterknox
    Hopeless romantic
    The sticks
    Moves
    22 Jul '08 12:46
    Originally posted by Mahout
    ....you start of with 70 by default.
    So I'd have been 28 points better off if I hadn't showed up? Imagine how good I'd be if I'd never seen a chessboard!
  2. Standard memberJonathanB of London
    Curb Your Enthusiasm
    London
    Moves
    22 Jul '08 16:05
    Originally posted by hunterknox
    So I'd have been 28 points better off if I hadn't showed up? Imagine how good I'd be if I'd never seen a chessboard!
    As Ulf Andersson is reputed to have said ... if you don't play you don't lose rating points
  3. Joined
    18 Jun '08
    Moves
    22 Jul '08 17:23
    Originally posted by Mahout
    I guess I need to play more rated games next season as despite over 3 years of study and all the time spent on RHP - my grade is still two points lower than when I started: - 68....you start of with 70 by default.
    i'm fairly sure that isn't true. you start off with whatever your performance is in your inaugural season
  4. London
    Moves
    22 Jul '08 19:08
    Originally posted by loaf86
    i'm fairly sure that isn't true. you start off with whatever your performance is in your inaugural season
    Well they started me off with 70...as I recall...I joined at the end of a season, played one game against a 150 and lost, then played a complete season mostly against 100 - 125 players, lost most but not all of the 7/8 games...which left me with 68 points...I must have got them from somewhere...but I don't know for sure how it's done so I'll put the question to someone on Thursday.
  5. Standard memberDragon Fire
    Lord of all beasts
    searching for truth
    Moves
    23 Jul '08 07:29
    The 1st year I got into the rating list I came in at about 150 from 6 games, all won but I don't know about the strength of my opponents, probably about 120.

Then the club I joined disappeared and I didn't play for a few years and since I came back its been all downhill (until 2 years ago) but I think my rating somehow reset itself with my new club as my 150 rating seemed to disappear.
  6. Joined
    21 Feb '06
    Moves
    23 Jul '08 09:011 edit
    My understanding about initial grades was that the local grading officer decided on a suitable grade for new players, perhaps after consultation with people who know or have played against the new player.

It is important to get this right as otherwise this player's grade can adversely affect others' in the next few seasons. If he is estimated too low then the people he beats will go down too much and if he is estimated too high then there will be grading inflation as his grading points are stripped away and distributed amongst those who beat him.
  7. I pity the fool!
    Moves
    23 Jul '08 15:23
    Damn it!! I dropped to 149, that is quite annoying - there was always a bit of a nice ring to grades over 150.

Still, at least I can enter lower rated tournaments for a year.
  8. Joined
    21 Feb '06
    Moves
    23 Jul '08 15:35
    I was trying to work out how many English / British (the list includes many non-English players) players from RHP are above 200 as I consider that to be the level where the really good players start.

I could only find one; though one player on this site who isn't even in the top fifty here went up from 182 to 196, which suggests he had a fantastic season.

My ambition is to reach 200, though I know in my heart it's beyond my reach. Perhaps 174 would be more realistic.
  9. Joined
    14 Jul '06
    Moves
    23 Jul '08 15:57
    Originally posted by Fat Lady
    I was trying to work out how many English / British (the list includes many non-English players) players from RHP are above 200 as I consider that to be the level where the really good players start...
    Dude, that's FM level.
    😛
  10. Standard memberHurricaneConway125
    SUPREMO OF SOMERSET
    SOMERSET
    Moves
    29 Aug '08 08:01
    My understanding about initial grades was that the local grading officer decided on a suitable grade for new players, perhaps after consultation with people who know or have played against the new player.

It is important to get this right as otherwise this player's grade can adversely affect others' in the next few seasons. If he is estimated too low the ...[text shortened]... inflation as his grading points are stripped away and distributed amongst those who beat him.
    Down in somerset where i have just played my first season i was given no kind of provisional rating, i just played all my games as ungraded and achieved a decent enough 105 rating.
    http://grading.bcfservices.org.uk/getref.php?ref=274043G
    there is my grading's online confirmation if you didnt believe me 😀
  11. Standard memberDragon Fire
    Lord of all beasts
    searching for truth
    Moves
    29 Aug '08 08:182 edits
    Originally posted by Squelchbelch
    Dude, that's FM level.
    😛
    ECF200 (FIDE 2250) is seriously good and anyone in that region is probably already an FM and has a good chance of making IM standard (2400). We only have a single player in our [OTB - real life] club at that level (Fat Lady actually knows him) who also happens to be the best player in the whole Portsmoth league.

His skill and method of thinking are in a different league to the rest of us mere mortals. He even destroyed my Grob and you know what a fantastic opening that is.
  12. Joined
    21 Feb '06
    Moves
    29 Aug '08 09:50
    Originally posted by Dragon Fire
    ECF200 (FIDE 2250) is seriously good and anyone in that region is probably already an FM and has a good chance of making IM standard (2400). We only have a single player in our [OTB - real life] club at that level (Fat Lady actually knows him) who also happens to be the best player in the whole Portsmoth league.

His skill and method of thinking are in ...[text shortened]... est of us mere mortals. He even destroyed my Grob and you know what a fantastic opening that is.
    Tony Corkett (for it is he) is a very talented player. I left Fareham Chess Club to go to University just as he joined, but I used to play him in blitz during the holidays. I always had the feeling he was going easy on me so that I wouldn't stop playing him! I don't know if I ever managed to beat him. If I did get a halfway decent position in a game, I would find that I was a minute or two down on the clock and he'd stir up enough complications to win on time.

Here's an amusing game by Tony in which his opponent's queen gets trapped despite having fifteen legal moves!

13. Standard memberDragon Fire
    Lord of all beasts
    searching for truth
    Moves
    29 Aug '08 09:59
    Tony Corkett (for it is he) is a very talented player. I left Fareham Chess Club to go to University just as he joined, but I used to play him in blitz during the holidays. I always had the feeling he was going easy on me so that I wouldn't stop playing him! I don't know if I ever managed to beat him. If I did get a halfway decent position in a game, I woul ...[text shortened]... Nc6 16. cxd5 Qxd5
    17. O-O Nxd4 18. Qc4 Be6 19. b3 Qe5 0-1
    [/pgn]
    Qb4.

He might save the queen at the price of losing the game although I suspect after a few more moves the Q will have to go.

This destruction of opposition is typical of Tony although I am pleased to say I did out last his opponent in this particular game the few times I have played him.

For some time I have been trying to get Tony to join this site as I have regularly seen him out smart an engine with deep strategical lines (even Tony knows that he cannot beat an engine at tactics) but he was vitrually accused of cheating before even coming on board when I carelessly mentioned his ability to outsmart an engine in the forums.
  14. Joined
    15 Jun '06
    Moves
    29 Aug '08 10:07
    Tony Corkett (for it is he) is a very talented player. I left Fareham Chess Club to go to University just as he joined, but I used to play him in blitz during the holidays. I always had the feeling he was going easy on me so that I wouldn't stop playing him! I don't know if I ever managed to beat him. If I did get a halfway decent position in a game, I woul ...[text shortened]... Nc6 16. cxd5 Qxd5
    17. O-O Nxd4 18. Qc4 Be6 19. b3 Qe5 0-1
    [/pgn]
    I think moves 11 and 19 are what put white in deep doo doo.
  15. Standard memberDiet Coke
    Forum Vampire
    Sidmouth, Uk
    Moves
    01 Apr '09 19:17
    Does your new (future) grading for 2009 take into account games played in 2007/2008 and before (beyond using your new grading as your benchmark grading)?

BTW, this is my grading reference. 259430E

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree