EggHeads

EggHeads

Only Chess

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

T

Moves
26 Oct 06
2 edits

T

Moves
26 Oct 06

T

Moves
26 Oct 06

Originally posted by Sicilian Smaug
173 BCF to 208 BCF( Spotted a name on there that I've met with that grade who is IM), maybe I'm wrong but that doesn't seem a huge gap which is why 170s equating to 2100s FIDE rating seems correct. On the lower end of the scale is where I think the old conversion formula was even more inaccurate, there are many strong players on this site with RHP rat ...[text shortened]... 1800(150) which seems very poor especially for the 100, 1750(100)-2000(150) gets my vote.
If there are players on this site with a BCF otb grade of 100, yet they are rated on RHP somewhere around 2000, then you have to wonder how they can achieve their online success
🙂

my best otb grade (so far!!) was in the 170s by the way

S

Moves
26 Oct 06
1 edit

Originally posted by Sicilian Smaug
I didn't see Adams on the list. Not sure why he's omitted. Thought we was first or second.
Adams is #9 on FIDE world ranking list.
Short is #28

http://www.fide.com/ratings/top.phtml?list=men

T

Moves
26 Oct 06

Originally posted by Squelchbelch
Adams is #9 on FIDE world ranking list.
Short is #28

http://www.fide.com/ratings/top.phtml?list=men
Does he have to compete in some UK events to appear on the BCF list?

T

Moves
26 Oct 06

T

Moves
26 Oct 06

FL

Moves
26 Oct 06

Are you sure? I can't imagine a 120 BCF player managing to achieve 2000 on this site.

I've played a great many players graded between 140 and 150 in the last year, and in general they are very weak in one area or another. Some of them are very good at tactics - I always think tactics is the "great equaliser", where a club player can sometimes match a Grandmaster.

I know several players around 200, and the average International Master will just eat them for breakfast.

Moves
26 Oct 06

Unlike blitz (I know some 140s who bounce around 2400 2600 blitz on playchess!) I do think the higher the OTB rating the better they will be here or in correspondence chess in general. Maybe the difference that makes some correspondence players stronger than they are OTB is the efficent use of databases/analysis board function although I doubt this would see a + of more than 200 points over the same rated club player who didnt use them in the best way.

Moves
26 Oct 06
1 edit

Btw I was rated 120 (provisional) last year, 149 this and aiming for 170ish next. I tend to play past 149 one of the problems with ECF grades is that they are only updated yearly. Id like to see an ELO grading system implimented which is updated every 4 months or so.

FL

Moves
26 Oct 06

Originally posted by Bedlam
Btw I was rated 120 (provisional) last year, 149 this and aiming for 170ish next. I tend to play past 149 one of the problems with ECF grades is that they are only updated yearly. Id like to see an ELO grading system implimented which is updated every 4 months or so.
When I was growing up in Hampshire, Terry Hollington and Pat McAvoy used to keep a database of grades for the Hampshire Juniors and publish it about every three months. It was really useful and quite accurate as well. It was great fun watching your grade go up after a good tournament. I used to try and keep my grade within 100 points of Peter Wells!

Junior grades in Britain mean almost nothing now. Not only are they out of date, but so few juniors have a grade that the ones who do are based on very few games.

For example, I coach a ten-year girl with a grade of 2. I imagine her grade should be somewhere in the region of 60 to 80, but she's probably only played half a dozen graded players.

FL

Moves
26 Oct 06

Originally posted by Turfmoor
If there are players on this site with a BCF otb grade of 100, yet they are rated on RHP somewhere around 2000, then they are ALMOST certainly cheating
🙂

my best otb grade (so far!!) was in the 170s by the way
I thought you were looking for coaching from Dragonfire a few days ago? If you've been in the 170s you certainly don't need the sort of coaching that he was offering. Unless, of course, you meant 170 ELO.

Moves
26 Oct 06
1 edit

Originally posted by Fat Lady
When I was growing up in Hampshire, Terry Hollington and Pat McAvoy used to keep a database of grades for the Hampshire Juniors and publish it about every three months. It was really useful and quite accurate as well. It was great fun watching your grade go up after a good tournament. I used to try and keep my grade within 100 points of Peter Wells!

Juni ...[text shortened]... omewhere in the region of 60 to 80, but she's probably only played half a dozen graded players.
Iv taken to keeping trade of my grade game by game. So I have an indication of how well im doing and if I need to put in more work to reach my goals. One of the trouble with the ecf is that its an average grade taking into account last seasons games if you dont have enough this season making a lot of players grades quite inaccurate. On playchess iv played 103, 60 or 90 min games since 29th August. Its almost impossible to do this OTB. These games along with study and analysis tend to have a good effect on my ability but my ECF rating will still be stuck as it is now for all this year dispite any improvements I make because of training. Very annoying.

Indeed almost all childrens grades are jokes, they also tend to improve much much more in a year than any adult.

SS

Moves
26 Oct 06
1 edit

SS

Moves
26 Oct 06
1 edit