1. Joined
    26 Oct '06
    Moves
    04 May '07 22:47
    From a game I played recently. I was staring at this for 20 full minutes (might not be a long time for some, but it was for me!) trying to figure out the quickest way to checkmate. In the end, I'm glad I did because I almost made a huge blunder. Wondering what you guys think the right move here is, and how you would continue play. (If it's too easy or you don't care, please spare everyone from the weird snoring smileys. just ignore me) Also, without any serious mistakes by black, what is the quickest way to mate?

White to play.
  2. washington
    Moves
    04 May '07 22:55
    h3
  3. 127.0.0.1
    Moves
    04 May '07 23:18
    I presume you almost fell for Rxc5+, KxR, d7+, Kxc4, d8=Q?, Rb1#
  4. Joined
    21 Feb '06
    Moves
    04 May '07 23:30
    I prefer Rb5 over h3

RxR? axb5+.....easy win.
  5. Joined
    26 Oct '06
    Moves
    04 May '07 23:38
    Originally posted by Shinidoki
    I prefer Rb5 over h3

RxR? axb5+.....easy win.
    My first idea was Ra6+ but that sucks. I noticed black's mate chance about...now. Then I was about to go Rb5, had the piece moved and everything, but didn't submit. I assumed my opponent would move his rook to the g file and I wasn't sure I could defend it.

I then thought about getting fancy with Rc5, as zebano mentioned, but I would have been too preoccupied the whole time with avoiding mate, rather than delivering it. I chose h3, but now I feel like a wimp. Also, I have a tendency to "cluster" my pieces, especially towards the end, into strange conformations that are neat but unproductive and easily busted. I thought Rb5 would have gotten me back into one of those, where I'd end up losing my promotion chances.

Blah, now I'm overanalyzing. I need a beer. have a good weekend everyone!
  6. Joined
    14 Jul '06
    Moves
    04 May '07 23:44
    I'd play Rb5 without a doubt.
  7. Standard memberwormwood
    If Theres Hell Below
    We're All Gonna Go!
    Moves
    05 May '07 00:431 edit
    Originally posted by Shinidoki
    I prefer Rb5 over h3

RxR? axb5+.....easy win.
    black won't exchange but move Rg8 instead, then you'll probably end up pushing h2-h3 anyway, but the f4-f3 will create more problems. that's a tempo wasted on Rb5. so it's easier to push h3 first, as the Rb1+ is completely harmless.

both win of course, but the first rule of killing mr. james bond is always cut the counterplay first. that's what mr. blofeld never understood.
  8. washington
    Moves
    05 May '07 02:08
    thats my thought. in yasser seirwans winning chess strategies he says this " elimenate all threats when you have a won endgame" meaning make it impossible to mate you if you mess up. you have enough pieces to win so why bother trying to do too much and maybe getting into a worse position or even messing up and giving your opponent a won endgame that you should have won.
  9. Joined
    26 Oct '06
    Moves
    05 May '07 02:55
    Originally posted by wormwood
    black won't exchange but move Rg8 instead, then you'll probably end up pushing h2-h3 anyway, but the f4-f3 will create more problems. that's a tempo wasted on Rb5. so it's easier to push h3 first, as the Rb1+ is completely harmless.

both win of course, but the first rule of killing mr. james bond is always cut the counterplay first. that's what mr. blofeld never understood.
    nicely said, love the bond reference. thanks.
  10. Standard memberhammster21
    Endgamer
    Wisconsin
    Moves
    05 May '07 03:39
    Rb5 does the most for white, it cuts out blacks possible counter play and takes control of the open file, h3 allows black to penetrate into the white camp and cause problems. After Rb5 and black moves his rook away, then play h3, forcing black to absolute passivity as he can't penetrate and can't stop the impeding doom.
  11. Joined
    21 Sep '05
    Moves
    05 May '07 13:541 edit
    Originally posted by wormwood
    That's true and should definitely be kept in mind. But at the same time, White has overwhelming superiority and has no need to be too passive. Instead of playing h3 and putting the king on h2 where it does nothing, I prefer Kf1 with the idea Ke2-Kf3.

Watch your opponent's counterplay, but don't stifle your own too easily. Kf1 also threatens Ra7 with the idea of d7.
  12. Under Cover
    Moves
    05 May '07 14:35
    I also prefer 1.Rb5 to start things off. It follows the simple rule of preventing counter play, but also invites black to make the serious blunder of exchanging off his last piece. Black would probably respond with 1...Rg8 as everyone has said, but then 2. f3 (I like this much better than 2.h3 because the white King is not committed to the corner anymore) and if black tries 2...h3 then 3. Rb2 and black is completely out of threats...
  13. washington
    Moves
    05 May '07 14:38
    h3 does threaten Rxc5 doesn't it? its not really passive
  14. Under Cover
    Moves
    05 May '07 14:431 edit
    Originally posted by kmac27
    h3 does threaten Rxc5 doesn't it? its not really passive
    You are right. Even if Black tries 1..Rb1+ 2.Kh2 Rd1, then 3.Rxc5+ still works because 3...KxR 4. d7+ (discovered check by the bishop) means that Blacks Rook is going to drop and the game is over. Nice job.
  15. back in business
    Moves
    05 May '07 14:59
    I dont see the point here. Rxc5+ wins trivially. Almost all moves win.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree