Moves
    02 Oct '11 09:471 edit
    He is right
  5. Houston, Texas
    Moves
    02 Oct '11 11:24
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    its suicide!
    Nice post. Enjoyed the problem. I wouldn't call a draw a suicide. But the path to stalemate is interesting and active.
  6. Account suspended
    Moves
    02 Oct '11 15:02
    Originally posted by moon1969
    Nice post. Enjoyed the problem. I wouldn't call a draw a suicide. But the path to stalemate is interesting and active.
    thanks, its really unusual to see a self imposed stalemate to save the game, i just
    thought it was kind of like the King committing suicide, throwing himself on his own
    sword so to speak.
  7. SubscriberPaul Leggett
    Chess Librarian
    The Stacks
    Moves
    02 Oct '11 17:21
    [fen]8/1p6/1P1p4/1K1p4/P2P4/4B1pp/1P6/5k2 w - - 0 1[/fen]

white to play, find the best move.
    Metaphorically, I see this as calling in the troops and pulling up the castle gate in the face of superior forces. A draw in a match usually means you live to fight another day.

A great problem- anything that makes me think "out of the box" and encourages a fresh approach to my thinking makes me better. It should, at least!
  8. Account suspended
    Moves
    02 Oct '11 20:31
    Originally posted by Paul Leggett
    Metaphorically, I see this as calling in the troops and pulling up the castle gate in the face of superior forces. A draw in a match usually means you live to fight another day.

A great problem- anything that makes me think "out of the box" and encourages a fresh approach to my thinking makes me better. It should, at least!
    yeah, the thing is to realise that those pawns cannot be stopped, moves like a5 are just too slow. Metaphor is excellent, yeah , pulling up the castle gates, I dont know if i have finally overcome my antipathy towards the endgame but I am finding out that its razor sharp, one tempo can be the difference between winning and losing.
  9. Joined
    15 Jun '06
    Moves
    02 Oct '11 20:35
    yeah, the thing is to realise that those pawns cannot be stopped, moves like a5 are just too slow. Metaphor is excellent, yeah , pulling up the castle gates, I dont know if i have finally overcome my antipathy towards the endgame but I am finding out that its razor sharp, one tempo can be the difference between winning and losing.
    You just have to make sure it is a quality tempo.
  10. Account suspended
    Moves
    02 Oct '11 21:03
    Originally posted by tomtom232
    You just have to make sure it is a quality tempo.
    triangulation my man, triangulation 🙂
  11. Standard memberExuma
    Anansi
    Woodshed
    Moves
    03 Oct '11 03:44
    Nice one! Thanks
  12. The Ghost Bishop
    Moves
    13 Oct '11 05:45
    HO! Great work Mr. Carrobie! That is a delightful little devil indeed! It very much reminds me of a position I worked on years ago (we must not say how many!) A very great puzzle I might add once you have finished with harming yourself! I very much wish I knew how to post your diagrams. Perhaps I need to do some reading to help me through it. Anyway I've found it for you, a feat that is quite remarkable I must say. I hope you don't turn your nose to the style (it once was all we had!). I won't give you any more hints in your search on this puzzle than this alone: This puzzle also deals with stalemate albeit by defense from it!

White to play and WIN!
    White: KKR6, RK2, QR4, QN2, QN3, QN6, Q6 Black: KQR5, RQ4, QR3, QN5

Thanks again for that wonderful puzzle Mr. Carrobie! It is very appreciated!

Q
  13. Account suspended
    Moves
    13 Oct '11 09:061 edit
    Originally posted by PhySiQ
    HO! Great work Mr. Carrobie! That is a delightful little devil indeed! It very much reminds me of a position I worked on years ago (we must not say how many!) A very great puzzle I might add once you have finished with harming yourself! I very much wish I knew how to post your diagrams. Perhaps I need to do some reading to help me through it. Anyway I'v R3, QN5

Thanks again for that wonderful puzzle Mr. Carrobie! It is very appreciated!

Q
    Hi, PhySiQ it was nothing to do with me, i merely came across it and found it interesting
    like you. I have tried to recreate your diagram, although I am not sure whether I
    have succeed. It would be better if it were in algebraic notation. Let me know if i have
    made any mistakes and ll try to fix them.

14. The Ghost Bishop
    Moves
    13 Oct '11 09:501 edit
    Hi, PhySiQ it was nothing to do with me, i merely came across it and found it interesting
    like you. I have tried to recreate your diagram, although I am not sure whether I
    have succeed. It would be better if it were in algebraic notation. Let me know if i have
    made any mistakes and ll try to fix them.

[fen]8/6Q1/q2P3K/3r4/kq6/6Q1/4R1Q1/8 w - - 0 1[/fen]
    Ah I see Master Carrobie. Well it was a good find of yours! There are much to many queens on that board - the original had none! I can certainly translate.
    White: Kh6, Re2, a4, b2, b3, b6, d6
    Black: Ka5, Rd5, a6, b4
    Thanks for making the handy board diagram. Thanks double for being willing to do it again! You are certainly a helpful lad.

Q
  15. Joined
    08 Apr '09
    Moves
    13 Oct '11 09:561 edit
    Originally posted by PhySiQ
    Ah I see Master Carrobie. Well it was a good find of yours! There are much to many queens on that board - the original had none! I can certainly translate.

White: Kh6, Re2, a4, b2, b3, b6, d6 Black: Ka5, Rd5, a6, b4

Thanks for making the handy board diagram. Thanks double for being willing to do it again! You are certainly a helpful lad.

Q

Is this what you meant?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree