1. Joined
    18 Jan '06
    Moves
    18 Aug '06 20:36
    Are egtb's allowed on redhotpawn? Technically they are similar to opening books and databses, so they should be allowed, right?
  2. Joined
    15 Aug '05
    Moves
    18 Aug '06 20:42

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

3. Joined
    18 Jan '06
    Moves
    18 Aug '06 20:47
    Originally posted by Sicilian Smaug
    They arn't allowed, they arn't taken directly from already played games are they?
    No I guess not, but they ARE a type of database, and redhotpawn doesn't specify the databse has to be taken from preplayed games does it?
  4. Joined
    18 Jan '06
    Moves
    18 Aug '06 20:47
    (b) You will not use chess engines, chess software, chess computers or consult any third party to assist you in any game. Chess books and databases can be consulted during play

No it doesn't appear too.
  5. Edmonton, Alberta
    Moves
    18 Aug '06 20:49
    Originally posted by LanndonKane
    No I guess not, but they ARE a type of database, and redhotpawn doesn't specify the databse has to be taken from preplayed games does it?
    Not allowed!~ That is like asking a computer, which move should I play. It's the same thing isn't it? You asking a computer what to play or using an endgame tablebase which uses a chess computer to tell you what to play.
  6. Joined
    18 Jan '06
    Moves
    18 Aug '06 20:50
    Originally posted by RahimK
    Not allowed!~ That is like asking a computer, which move should I play. It's the same thing isn't it? You asking a computer what to play or using an endgame tablebase which uses a chess computer to tell you what to play.
    Please explain how consulting a database, albeit a highly presicise one, is like consulting a computer?
  7. Joined
    15 Jun '06
    Moves
    18 Aug '06 20:55
    Please explain how consulting a database, albeit a highly presicise one, is like consulting a computer?
    If you don't get caught the only people that will care are the ones that you beat in the endgame.
  8. Joined
    18 Jan '06
    Moves
    18 Aug '06 20:56
    Originally posted by tomtom232
    If you don't get caught the only people that will care are the ones that you beat in the endgame.
    Yes of course, but im not a jack@$$ so I want to find out if what I plan to do is legal or not
  9. Joined
    15 Jun '06
    Moves
    18 Aug '06 20:58
    Yes of course, but im not a jack@$$ so I want to find out if what I plan to do is legal or not
    Well you ask a question and then you answered it yourself so it sound like you want it to be legal no matter what anyone says.
  10. Joined
    18 Jan '06
    Moves
    18 Aug '06 21:011 edit
    Well you ask a question and then you answered it yourself so it sound like you want it to be legal no matter what anyone says.
    No I didn't answer it myself, I merely decreased the options and limited the answer. If you would like me to list them I would gladly do so, but they can all be read by viewing the thread from the beggining.
  11. Joined
    15 Jun '06
    Moves
    18 Aug '06 21:05
    No I didn't answer it myself, I merely decreased the options and limited the answer. If you would like me to list them I would gladly do so, but they can all be read by viewing the thread from the beggining.
    I personaly wouldn't want to use them because the reason I play chess is to enjoy the triumph when I choose the right move and not some database.
  12. Joined
    18 Jan '06
    Moves
    18 Aug '06 21:082 edits
    I personaly wouldn't want to use them because the reason I play chess is to enjoy the triumph when I choose the right move and not some database.
    Yes very true indeed. Doesn't quite answer my question though, but I suppose I won't get an answer because not enough has been specified in the Terms of Service on the subject. So I shall commence using egtb's until I get an adequate response.

Besides, we are playing cor. chess. If I wanted chess without all these little bonuses i'd play otb.
  13. Joined
    15 Jun '06
    Moves
    18 Aug '06 21:11
    Yes very true indeed. Doesn't quite answer my question though, but I suppose I won't get an answer because not enough has been specified in the Terms of Service on the subject. So I shall commence using egtb's until I get an adequate response.

Besides, we are playing cor. chess. If I wanted chess without all these little bonuses i'd play otb.
    Then that settles it.
  14. Joined
    18 Jan '06
    Moves
    18 Aug '06 21:14
    Then that settles it.
    Right, if i were a mod i'd close the post......now.
  15. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    18 Aug '06 21:15
    An endgame tablebase contains exhaustive, computer-generated analysis of positions. It's actually worse than just switching on an engine, because it will generate guaranteed correct moves no matter what your opponent plays.

The difference between a tablebase and a book is that you must understand the book to use its knowledge, whereas with a tablebase, you go completely on autopilot and just play every move it says without any thinking at all.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree