Ending game exchanging

Ending game exchanging

Only Chess

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

L

Moves
18 Apr 06

Originally posted by Essex 3
Just a point . A major piece is a Queen or Rook, because you only need one with a King to force mate against a lone King. Bishops and Knights are minor pieces because you must have two, and even then if they are both Knights it can't be forced against a lone King, but sometimes can if the inferior side also has a Pawn. Pieces can retreat if necessary; as opp ...[text shortened]... Pawns which cannot, but which as compensation can be promoted if they reach their eighth rank.
Interesting, I never knew that.

l
Man of Steel

rushing to and fro

Moves
18 Apr 06

Originally posted by LanndonKane
Is it acceptable to trade one of your oppnents pawns for a major piece, say a knight, in the endgame?
Of course. It all depends on the situation. In this game I exchanged my queen for a knight, intending to follow it up by exchanging my rook for a pawn! I could afford this rather steep price, as it left me with the only remaining pawn which would promote.

Game 1700115

Warning: this game is a blunderfest of the highest order. 😳

C

EDMONTON ALBERTA

Moves
18 Apr 06

I am playing a game right now where I am about to drop a rook in order to promote my pawn to a queen... so I'd say it can be worth it.