1. Account suspended
    Moves
    16 Oct '07 01:54
    Originally posted by rubberjaw30
    unrated, heck
    I see no harm period as long as both players agree to the terms.
    we'd just have to make a system where both players check a box saying that they agree...
    that avoids the: Russ, I never said he could use an engine, and 100% of his moves matched my comp.s during analysis. or other forms of lying.

off topic: at the bottom of the screen, where It says Important: Posts on this board may be subject... .
    what is flaming?
    u ever take welding in highschool?
  2. Account suspended
    Moves
    16 Oct '07 01:55
    Originally posted by ih8sens
    u ever take welding in highschool?
    no, I was more of a nerd...
    math and science and the like.
    not much in the workshops...
  3. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Moves
    16 Oct '07 01:56
    Originally posted by rubberjaw30
    unrated, heck
    I see no harm period as long as both players agree to the terms.
    we'd just have to make a system where both players check a box saying that they agree...
    that avoids the: Russ, I never said he could use an engine, and 100% of his moves matched my comp.s during analysis. or other forms of lying.

off topic: at the bottom of the screen, where It says Important: Posts on this board may be subject... .
    what is flaming?
    I don't see the harm either, and said as much. Just passing on what Russ has said.

There is no need for a check box, Russ doesn't want it at all on RHP regardless of agreement. I think he feels there are enough places online if you want to use your engines for any purpose.

I can't say it's a bad idea... I kind of like the zero tolerance mode.

P-
  4. Standard memberNAGYUR
    NagyUr
    New York
    Moves
    16 Oct '07 21:25
    excuse me if Im missing something...but why do you need to include another party who then relies on an engine...just play against a computer yourself!
  5. Account suspended
    Moves
    16 Oct '07 21:31
    Originally posted by NAGYUR
    excuse me if Im missing something...but why do you need to include another party who then relies on an engine...just play against a computer yourself!
    my (once hoped for) opponent does not believe I am actually strong enough to beat an engine, calling the games I post on here hoaxes... I figured If i played one through him I could settle that.

Frankly I'm not worried about it anymore, I have nothing to prove and I don't really feel like defending myself.
  6. Joined
    04 Jul '07
    Moves
    16 Oct '07 21:39
    my (once hoped for) opponent does not believe I am actually strong enough to beat an engine, calling the games I post on here hoaxes... I figured If i played one through him I could settle that.

Frankly I'm not worried about it anymore, I have nothing to prove and I don't really feel like defending myself.
    Actually what I said was what you are claiming to be Crafty must have been some kind of bogus version. I'm not saying you were being dishonest, because I think you believed you were playing the real thing, but there was at least one move that it played that no current engine would possibly play.

If you could really beat Crafty on any kind of regular basis (say, more than 1 out of 10 games or something like that), your rating on here would be a lot higher than it is.

If I did play you with Crafty, you would almost certainly lose and it wouldn't prove anything unless we played a very protracted series of games.

In any case, if you want to play a more "official" game against an engine you can just use ICC or FICS, where there are plenty of engines logged in with official ratings and the games are public record.

In fact, I just watched GM de Firmian play several games against Rybka on ICC a couple weeks ago, losing almost every time. But maybe you're better than him!
  7. Account suspended
    Moves
    16 Oct '07 21:441 edit
    Originally posted by incandenza
    Actually what I said was what you are claiming to be Crafty must have been some kind of bogus version. I'm not saying you were being dishonest, because I think you believed you were playing the real thing, but there was at least one move that it played that no current engine would possibly play.

If you could really beat Crafty on any kind of regular b bka on ICC a couple weeks ago, losing almost every time. But maybe you're better than him!
    sarcasm aside, I've spent years working with computers and I have a good idea of how they work... I've spent many hours playing against engines and I assure you I can draw engines rather regularly.. winning is another thing I know.

I've never played Rybka... I doubt I would stand a chance but I have played and drawn a genuine copy of Fritz 5.32. I know it isn't saying much but my numbers against engines aren't really that bad.

I should also point out that @ 15 with my rating, GM is certainly not out of my league...

edit- I should also point out that I never, ever, claimed to be remotely as skilled as any GM at the moment, nor any well respected engine. I will say, however, that engines are not nearly as good as humans in strategising.. they are more than capable of making rediculous blunders.. chess isn't just math.
  8. London
    Moves
    16 Oct '07 21:45
    But maybe you're better than him![/b]
    "But maybe you're better than him"

lol
  9. Standard memberepic0002
    Black Mark
    walking to and fro
    Moves
    16 Oct '07 21:48

why dont you just stay away from the word "engine" for a while.although the word has been kinda growing on you lately, it is still unbecoming.😕
  10. Account suspended
    Moves
    16 Oct '07 21:52
    Originally posted by epic0002
    why dont you just stay away from the word "engine" for a while.although the word has been kinda growing on you lately, it is still unbecoming.😕
    lol engine is a fun word.. computer is too vague, naming the program takes too long, engine is a nice balanced word.

so shove that up your engine 😉 lol.
  11. Account suspended
    Moves
    16 Oct '07 21:54
    Originally posted by Mahout
    "But maybe you're better than him"

lol
    one day... one day......
  12. Standard memberepic0002
    Black Mark
    walking to and fro
    Moves
    16 Oct '07 22:03
    lol engine is a fun word.. computer is too vague, naming the program takes too long, engine is a nice balanced word.

so shove that up your engine 😉 lol.
    wow wow wow little man! I was trying to help.. people are talking,allegations flying through the air,its getting ugly. I wont help you anymore then.
  13. Account suspended
    Moves
    16 Oct '07 22:061 edit
    Originally posted by epic0002
    wow wow wow little man! I was trying to help.. people are talking,allegations flying through the air,its getting ugly. I wont help you anymore then.
    if you're talkin me being accused for engine use... I'm about 99% sure I've been reported for it on numerous occasions. Everyone knows I have several programs and use them extensively (edit - for post game analysis, only). Many of my games involve rediculously complex tactics, and my rating is increasing quickly because of it.
    If people think I cheat, I completely understand...

on the other hand, I haven't been banned and I have, surely, been investigated... that should say something..
  14. London
    Moves
    16 Oct '07 22:08
    one day... one day......
    Imagine yourself in five years time as a GM then read through your posts and ask yourself if you are happy with what you read. My point really is that although you are right to say that you have the possibility of becoming a GM due to your age and current rating, you seem to spend too much time on trivia to give yourself the best chance. This is not saying there's anything wrong with the many entertaining posts you submit but it just doesn't give me the impression of someone preparing to become a GM.
  15. Account suspended
    Moves
    16 Oct '07 22:101 edit
    Originally posted by Mahout
    Imagine yourself in five years time as a GM then read through your posts and ask yourself if you are happy with what you read. My point really is that although you are right to say that you have the possibility of becoming a GM due to your age and current rating, you seem to spend too much time on trivia to give yourself the best chance. This is not saying th sts you submit but it just doesn't give me the impression of someone preparing to become a GM.
    To summarily quote Fischer... you gotta love the game to get good.

I'm just havin fun with it, and it's working... If that isn't the best way I'd love to have someone show me a better one.

Edit - Absolutely no offence intended here at all... this is totally meant honestly: Have you ever read anything or talked to a GM who didn't have a good sense of humor ? 🙂.

Tal, Alekhine, Fischer ... they were all pretty funny ...

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree