Etiquette regarding draws

Etiquette regarding draws

Only Chess

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

C

Moves
26 Sep 06

I'm brand new to online chess and RHP. I finished just 85 games between the two sites I play on and really enjoy this one and reading this forum so I'll certainly be playing more here.

My first question has to do with offering/accepting/declining draws, particularly in situations when both sides still have their queen, a rook or two and several pawns. For lack of a better way to put it: What is considered "polite" when offering a draw? Does one never make an offer if the opponent has a clear advantage? What are situations you offer a draw and what would be a situation you would never offer a draw nor accept one. Do you send an explanation or response to your opponent in either case?

Thanks for your help.

Jonathan

k

washington

Moves
26 Sep 06

if your going to go into an endgame or you are in an endgame and you already know its going to be drawn then you can offer a draw. its impolite to offer a draw if your opponent has a clear advantage and u ask anyways. you can also offer them one if you are going to go into a perpetual check or your opponent is going into one. its not really impolite to ask for one ever.

DF
Lord of all beasts

searching for truth

Moves
26 Sep 06

Originally posted by kmac27
if your going to go into an endgame or you are in an endgame and you already know its going to be drawn then you can offer a draw. its impolite to offer a draw if your opponent has a clear advantage and u ask anyways. you can also offer them one if you are going to go into a perpetual check or your opponent is going into one. its not really impolite to ask for one ever.
I disagree slightly.

If your opponent has a clearly won game then it is impolite to offer a draw.. There is nothing I find more annoying than an opponent who is rated 400 points below me make me a draw offer when I have just won his Queen or I have say a Rook vs 2 pawns ending which is a clear win. Of course if I only have 2 Knights and there are no pawns on the board a draw offer would be appropriate but not if I have 2 Bishops.

If your opponent is stronger than you and you have an advantage it may be prudent to offer a draw if you feel he may be able to claw back the advantage and win.

Otherwise if you are in a position where neither side can improve their position and sny attempt to do so could result in defeat it is prudent not to do so and offer a draw.

If the position is also a theroretical draw and no side has any advantagous play a draw offer is also appropriate.

w
If Theres Hell Below

We're All Gonna Go!

Moves
26 Sep 06

Originally posted by Dragon Fire
If your opponent is stronger than you and you have an advantage it may be prudent to offer a draw if you feel he may be able to claw back the advantage and win.
just like kramnik-topalov today... 😞