1. Joined
    15 Jun '06
    Moves
    12 Nov '07 07:58
    What do you think of the evans gambit? I think that this is way better than the kings gambit so I am going to try to play it more often instead.
  2. I pity the fool!
    Moves
    12 Nov '07 08:09
    It gives white a bit more control in the centre, so avoids such sharp black counterplay in the early stages of the game.
    However, I believe with good defence black can just sit back and wall up against the threats then come back at you later.
  3. Joined
    15 Jun '06
    Moves
    12 Nov '07 08:15
    Originally posted by Tyrannosauruschex
    It gives white a bit more control in the centre, so avoids such sharp black counterplay in the early stages of the game.
    However, I believe with good defence black can just sit back and wall up against the threats then come back at you later.
    I was under the impression that this opening forces black to play with an active defense. If black tries to "wall up" can't whit just knock the wall down? Thhe mainline I believe leaves blacks king stuck in the center. Now for the real question is it better than the kings gambit?
  4. Standard memberDragon Fire
    Lord of all beasts
    searching for truth
    Moves
    12 Nov '07 08:31
    I've only allowed white to play the Evans Gambit once against me (as black) and I was comprehensively destroyed by a lower rated player. Now I avoid the line.

It looks reasonable for white.
  5. Joined
    15 Jun '06
    Moves
    12 Nov '07 08:41
    Originally posted by Dragon Fire
    I've only allowed white to play the Evans Gambit once against me (as black) and I was comprehensively destroyed by a lower rated player. Now I avoid the line.

It looks reasonable for white.
    could you post a link to that game if it isn't too much trouble?
  6. Standard memberDragon Fire
    Lord of all beasts
    searching for truth
    Moves
    12 Nov '07 10:08
    Originally posted by tomtom232
    could you post a link to that game if it isn't too much trouble?
    Rather embarassing but OK. Game 2233587.
  7. Joined
    20 Jan '07
    Moves
    12 Nov '07 10:35
    What do you think of the evans gambit? I think that this is way better than the kings gambit so I am going to try to play it more often instead.
    One of the finest ever exponents of the evans was the attacking genius Paul morphy. along withy the KG he made it his own! Unfortunately though, as with all gambit play a ceratin amount of theory must be learnt. You must also possess a good degree of tactical intuition.
    I have tried to recreate some of Morphy's masterpieces at my local club on many an occasion and have fallen flat on my face!
    It's a fun opening though.
  8. Joined
    08 Nov '07
    Moves
    12 Nov '07 10:49
    Originally posted by Talisman
    One of the finest ever exponents of the evans was the attacking genius Paul morphy. along withy the KG he made it his own! Unfortunately though, as with all gambit play a ceratin amount of theory must be learnt. You must also possess a good degree of tactical intuition.
    I have tried to recreate some of Morphy's masterpieces at my local club on many an occasion and have fallen flat on my face!
    It's a fun opening though.
    On the theory aspect, one thing in favour of the Evan's over the KG is that it is much less theoretical, which is always good. Also, the Evan's is less common so there's a better chance that your opp won't be as familiar with it. But they are both good lines, just pick whichever leads to positions you prefer.
  9. Joined
    20 Apr '07
    Moves
    12 Nov '07 14:18
    Black still has lots of chances with the Evans due of course to databases and the ever present chess machines. So white does not have carte blanche but he still should win with correct play.
  10. Joined
    04 Jul '06
    Moves
    12 Nov '07 14:20
    Originally posted by Katonah
    Black still has lots of chances with the Evans due of course to databases and the ever present chess machines. So white does not have carte blanche but he still should win with correct play.
    please change your profile picture...
  11. Account suspended
    Moves
    13 Nov '07 02:23
    black declines with Bb6!!
    white is left just holding his wang out in a snowstorm saying:" oh $hit, what the crap do I do now?"

The words "Wang" and "$hit" are all figments of your imagination.
    I did not actually say them.
    that would be illegal. cheers.
  12. Account suspended
    Moves
    13 Nov '07 02:24
    Originally posted by scandium
    On the theory aspect, one thing in favour of the Evan's over the KG is that it is much less theoretical, which is always good. Also, the Evan's is less common so there's a better chance that your opp won't be as familiar with it. But they are both good lines, just pick whichever leads to positions you prefer.
    white only gets Evans after 1. ... e5??
    correct is 1. ... c6!! or 1. ... g6!!
  13. Standard memberDutch Defense
    Stealer of Souls
    Account suspended
    Moves
    13 Nov '07 02:48
    Originally posted by Dragon Fire
    Rather embarassing but OK. Game 2233587.
    that's why I play 2...f5 instead off 2...Nc6??
  14. Account suspended
    Moves
    13 Nov '07 02:52
    Originally posted by Dutch Defense
    that's why I play 2...f5 instead off 2...Nc6??
    and why I play 1...(anything but e5 goes here) to avoid EVERYTHING, even the crumby Latvian Gambit.
  15. Standard memberDutch Defense
    Stealer of Souls
    Account suspended
    Moves
    13 Nov '07 02:57
    Originally posted by rubberjaw30
    and why I play 1...(anything but e5 goes here) to avoid EVERYTHING, even the crumby Latvian Gambit.
    I play 1...g6, 1...Nf6, 1...d6, 1...e5 and sometimes 1...d5.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree