1. Standard memberthaughbaer
    Duckfinder General
    223b Baker Street
    Moves
    24 Sep '12 17:47
    It's not often I post something chess related... and although the chess content doesn't come from me... I quite like Daniel King's commentary on these big games... and this game could feature in GPs blog.. all over in 21 moves. I wonder if GP ever stops for a swig of tea mid-blog ?

YouTube&feature=g-all-u
  2. e4
    Moves
    25 Sep '12 16:54
    Too good for the blog. 😉

Don't think about the blog till I see an idea that opens it.
    There is always plenty of ammo for the duck.
    Struggle with Ernie. (thinking of arranging accident for him and
    replacing him with Middle Game Mike!)

Will see if the final mating pattern appears on RHP.
    It almost certainly will, the lads never let me down.
    Then find a good game or two that I can use that leads up to it.

Very refrshing to see the Slav go down in under 25 moves.

S. Mamedyarov - A.Giri London Grand Prix 2012

3. e4
    Moves
    26 Sep '12 16:581 edit
    Thanks again Thaughbaer.

Looked for RHP games mating thus:

And found a nice dozen or so.

Two are superb games. I've noted up one, it took a fair while.
    It's the swindle of blog. Brilliant.

Looking forward to doing the next one as White missed a double
    Bishop sac as sound as a bell and IMO easier to spot than the normal Bxh7 & Bxg7.
    (the lad did go on to win it though.) Both games have a Rxg6+ sac.
    A lovely find.

This one won't make it in full to the blog. May use it as an example.

Rookguy - Textractor RHP 2007

4. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    26 Sep '12 19:441 edit
    Originally posted by greenpawn34
    Too good for the blog. 😉

Don't think about the blog till I see an idea that opens it.
    There is always plenty of ammo for the duck.
    Struggle with Ernie. (thinking of arranging accident for him and
    replacing him with Middle Game Mike!)

Will see if the final mating pattern appears on RHP.
    It almost certainly will, the lads never let me down.
    The ...[text shortened]... . In true RHP fashion we go onto the mate.} 21...fxe6 22. Nd6+ Bxd6 23. Qg6+ Kf8 24. Bxd6[/pgn]
    I think the main mistake for Black was move 13...exd5 because of what actually happened in the game. Either 13...e5 to prevent the exchange of the pawns or 13....Qb6 to be able to recapture with the queen and prevent the distruption of Black's kingside pawn structure was the way to go.

Now for Move 17...f5 this allows either 18. exf6 or maybe better 18. Bh5+ forcing the king out in the center. So I would not recommend moving the f-pawn at this time. A better try to hold for Black would be 17...c5.

What do you think?

This A. Giri played the Slav defense rather poorly in my opinion.
  5. Joined
    06 Aug '07
    Moves
    27 Sep '12 01:23
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    I think the main mistake for Black was move 13...exd5 because of what actually happened in the game. Either 13...e5 to prevent the exchange of the pawns or 13....Qb6 to be able to recapture with the queen and prevent the distruption of Black's kingside pawn structure was the way to go.

Now for Move 17...f5 this allows either 18. exf6 or maybe better 18. ...[text shortened]... .c5.

What do you think?

This A. Giri played the Slav defense rather poorly in my opinion.
    Black's mistake was Rc8 - he should have played a6 with the idea of c5 if that was his goal. The rook is not needed on the "c" file esp. if white is going to push the "d" pawn. (a6 holds the "b" pawn - obvious). Are you not familiar with A. Giri? He is probably the best young player in the world. He may have made mistakes in the game but given the position - who wouldn't. Playing the modern day Slav in OTB takes a lot of guts - it is very, very double edged. Black also could have played g5 earlier. 13...Qb6 with the idea of capturing on e6 doesn't look very promising for black with the queen and king in the middle of the board.
  6. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    27 Sep '12 04:00
    Originally posted by kbear1k
    Black's mistake was Rc8 - he should have played a6 with the idea of c5 if that was his goal. The rook is not needed on the "c" file esp. if white is going to push the "d" pawn. (a6 holds the "b" pawn - obvious). Are you not familiar with A. Giri? He is probably the best young player in the world. He may have made mistakes in the game but given the position - ...[text shortened]... esn't look very promising for black with the queen and king in the middle of the board.
    No I never heard of either one of these guys. However, I have been away from chess a long time and am not up on the the new guys coming up. I just noticed that he seemed to get himself in a bad position rather easily, when he could have made common sense moves that, even a duffer like myself, could see was better. You even saw he did not make good moves, so was he just experimenting on this defense or what?
  7. Joined
    06 Aug '07
    Moves
    27 Sep '12 11:03
    "You even saw he did not make good moves, so was he just experimenting on this defense or what?"
    He was not experimenting (IMHO) and I believe he has played both sides in the opening. Playing the black side of that opening is not for the faint of heart. Also, he only made 1 or 2 mistakes - easy to do in that opening.
    He was playing OTB in a big tournament with a lot of pressure and he is just a "kid".
    Analyzing after the fact is a lot, lot easier than analyzing the position with the clock ticking. I also have a huge chess library to help me out at home.
  8. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    27 Sep '12 14:27
    Originally posted by kbear1k
    "You even saw he did not make good moves, so was he just experimenting on this defense or what?"
    He was not experimenting (IMHO) and I believe he has played both sides in the opening. Playing the black side of that opening is not for the faint of heart. Also, he only made 1 or 2 mistakes - easy to do in that opening.
    He was playing OTB in a big tournament ...[text shortened]... he position with the clock ticking. I also have a huge chess library to help me out at home.
    Yes, I understand what you are saying. I know it is much easier in hindsight to discover minor errors in play when we are relaxed and not under tournament pressure. I did not know he was just a kid. Sometimes the World Champions have an off game, too. Perhaps it has something to do with psychology.
  9. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    27 Sep '12 15:002 edits
    Viswanathan Anand became a grandmaster at 18 and shortly after lost the following game in 6 moves.

Zapata, Alonso-Anand, Viswanathan
    1-0 Biel Round 9 1988

10. Donationketchuplover
    Isolated Pawn
    Wisconsin USA
    Moves
    27 Sep '12 21:26
    6...Qe7 is insufficient?
  11. Account suspended
    Moves
    27 Sep '12 21:303 edits

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

12. Donationketchuplover
    Isolated Pawn
    Wisconsin USA
    Moves
    27 Sep '12 21:45
    mucho gracias 🙂
  13. Joined
    21 Feb '06
    Moves
    28 Sep '12 10:241 edit
    Anand was copying a previous GM game which ended in a quick draw. See www.chessgames.com/perl/chessgame?gid=1089022 for the reason why Tony Miles didn't play 6.Qe2 in the original game.
  14. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    28 Sep '12 11:30
    Originally posted by Fat Lady
    Anand was copying a previous GM game which ended in a quick draw. See www.chessgames.com/perl/chessgame?gid=1089022 for the reason why Tony Miles didn't play 6.Qe2 in the original game.
    So do you think Anand wanted a draw or do you think he had an improvement of Black's later play?
  15. Joined
    18 Jan '07
    Moves
    28 Sep '12 14:48
    Originally posted by greenpawn34
    1. d4 d5 2. Nf3 Nc6 {The Chigorin. Playable despite some players and writers. gagging because Black has blocked his c-pawn in a QP opening.}
    That's not really the Chigorin, though, is it? The Chigorin is ...Nc6 in the Queen's Gambit, i.e. after 2. c4, not 2. Nf3. Mind you, transitions and all that...

Richard

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree