1. Joined
    16 Sep '06
    Moves
    17 Sep '06 21:00
    We all know the Italian. If we went to chess club as a buck-toothed kiddie, it was the game we all played. And so, like farting in public, we grew out of it (except for Karpov). However, I can now proclaim that the Italian is back!

1. e4 e5 2. Nf3 Nc6 3. Bc4 Bc5 4. c3 Nf6 5. b4 Bb6 6. Qf3!?

This is the Jalapeno variation. Welcome to hell, Black.

Actually, this varaiation gives Black a slight edge if played totally correctly, but at Blitz or 15 minute level, it can cause serious headaches.

Many experienced, hardened bloggers might tear me apart for my unsound opening, but please bear in mind that I am only an 1850 player with a weird pet opening. I have some more (Chessmaster-backed) analysis, but I'd really value it if anyone could help me get my pet up and running.

Gingerbreadman.
  2. Stockholm, Sweden
    Moves
    17 Sep '06 22:16
    Would surely give me a headache if someone played 6. Qf3 in that line..!
  3. cavanaugh park
    Moves
    17 Sep '06 22:531 edit
    Originally posted by gingerbreadman
    We all know the Italian. If we went to chess club as a buck-toothed kiddie, it was the game we all played. And so, like farting in public, we grew out of it (except for Karpov). However, I can now proclaim that the Italian is back!

This is the Jalapeno variation. Welcome to hell, Black. ...[text shortened]... , but I'd really value it if anyone could help me get my pet up and running.

Gingerbreadman.
    sorry i may be slow but in the line you gave did you pay attention when you wrote it?? the f3 square is occupied by the knight i think....
    let me know if i messed up

edit: hence, making 6. Qf3 impossible
  4. Joined
    11 Jun '06
    Moves
    17 Sep '06 23:29
    Originally posted by alexstclaire
    sorry i may be slow but in the line you gave did you pay attention when you wrote it?? the f3 square is occupied by the knight i think....
    let me know if i messed up

edit: hence, making 6. Qf3 impossible
    That's what makes it such a great move. Totally unexpected!!
  5. Gothenburg City! xD
    Moves
    18 Sep '06 05:28
    That´s just... sad.
  6. Joined
    15 Aug '05
    Moves
    18 Sep '06 06:18

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

7. Joined
    14 Jul '06
    Moves
    18 Sep '06 07:39
    Have you never heard of the kneen move? Sometimes called the jalapeno quight?

Tsssk! 😕
  8. Sandwich Land
    Moves
    18 Sep '06 11:19
    lol 😀
  9. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    18 Sep '06 11:221 edit

This is the Jalapeno variation. Welcome to hell, Black. ...[text shortened]... ge if played totally correctly, but at Blitz or 15 minute level, it can cause serious headaches.
    My head hurts.
  10. Joined
    16 Sep '06
    Moves
    18 Sep '06 12:53
    Jesus, Iam so sorry.

I meant 6. QB3, that's B3!

Sorry to waste all of your time, guys.
  11. Joined
    16 Dec '04
    Moves
    18 Sep '06 13:07
    Jesus, Iam so sorry.
    This is no place for your hail Marys, this space is for chess, something far more important! 😉

I rarely find myself up against the Italian (is it Gioco pianio?) and have only tried it once myself, I'm more of a Ruy guy. If the replies look good on this thread I might have to employ it sometime.
  12. Joined
    16 Sep '06
    Moves
    18 Sep '06 13:38
    Well, I have got some analysis, which goes:

After 6. QB3 (Sorry...) Black has a decision to make.

After 6. ... Nxe4 7. Bxf7+ Kf8 8. d3 Nxf2 9. Bg5 Ne7 10. 0-0 (which doesn't look legal, but it is) Nxd3+ 11.Nd4 Nf5 (Black must block the F-file, since Bh5 is mate), and the game becomes more open. Actually I'm just saying that because I haven't done more analysis, but the good thing is that Black needs to think about this a LOT. In short games this gives you a great advantage.

If Black goes with 6. ...0-0 or ...Qe7, then play d3 and then try to marshal a pawnstorm on the queenside, put your rook on the g-file, try some Bxh6-age etc etc. Like I have said, I have not finished with all my analysis yet, so hopefully I'll have some more soon. It would be great if you guys could help me with it as well.

Gingerbreadman
  13. Joined
    14 Jul '06
    Moves
    18 Sep '06 13:42
    Jesus, Iam so sorry.

I meant 6. QB3, that's B3!

Sorry to waste all of your time, guys.
    Surely black can just castle & then develop pretty securely after 6.QB3?
  14. Joined
    16 Sep '06
    Moves
    18 Sep '06 13:56
    Yes, but a well-timed Queenside pawnstorm can leave Black's kingside-developed pieces offside. Trust me, i've played this variation before, and I've ended up winning an astonishing amount of games due to queening pressures.
  15. Joined
    14 Jul '06
    Moves
    18 Sep '06 14:07
    Yes, but a well-timed Queenside pawnstorm can leave Black's kingside-developed pieces offside. Trust me, i've played this variation before, and I've ended up winning an astonishing amount of games due to queening pressures.
    Can black take the hung pawn with 6...nf6xe4, allowing the nasty looking white bishop check, moving the king to f8 then kicking the bishop out with ...qe7 at some stage?
    Could be one of those positions that looks a lot more powerful for white than it actually is. More interesting than your usual piano game tho.😉

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree