1. Account suspended
    Moves
    09 Dec '09 23:287 edits
    hi this is really for the attention of Irontigran, for him and myself were trying to find
    a gambit against the English opening, and here after careful searching,
    i think that this is a great try. Not really a full gambit, because in ninety nine percent of
    the cases black shall be able to win the pawn back, therefore, like the queens gambit,
    its a temporary pawn sacrifice. the try concerns reversed grandprix attack, in which black
    shall try to push the d pawn, the result of which, white shall be forced to play actively and
    accurately, for if he succumbs to passivity, he shall quickly get into difficulties!

here is the position after 1. c4 e5 2. Nc3 Nc6 3. g3 f5 4. Bg2 Nf6 5. e3 d5!!

what is white to do?

6.cxd5 Nb4 (attacking the pawn and the hole on d3, white cannot protect them both)

6.cxd5 Nb4 7. d4 (clear mistake for white)... e4 8. Bf1 Nbxd5

position after 1. c4 e5 2. Nc3 Nc6 3. g3 f5 4. Bg2 Nf6 5. e3 d5 6. cxd5 Nb4 7. d3 Nfxd5 8. Nxd5 Nxd5 9. a3 c6

white must play actively with 10.Nf3, if he tries Petrosian style with 10.Nbd2 than
    black gets many options with set-up of, ...Bd6, ....Qe7, ...0-0, ....Be6 with a solid
    stake in the centre

is it possible to view the fen diagram reversed?
  2. Joined
    26 Jun '06
    Moves
    10 Dec '09 03:24
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    hi this is really for the attention of Irontigran, for him and myself were trying to find
    i think that this is a great try. Not really a full gambit, because in ninety nine percent of
    the cases black shall be able to win the pawn back, therefore, like the queens gambit,
    ...[text shortened]... , ....Be6 with a solid
    stake in the centre

very cool! I will have to study this in the morning, a little braindead right now. but looks like black gets great space.
  3. Joined
    26 Jun '06
    Moves
    10 Dec '09 03:44
    Originally posted by irontigran
    very cool! I will have to study this in the morning, a little braindead right now. but looks like black gets great space.
    Im going to start looking at it, until then I will give you a crazy one I saw today-

1.e4 d5 2.exd5 c6 3.dxc6 g6 4.cxb7 Bxb7 followed by fian. the other bishop
  4. Kalispell, MT
    Moves
    10 Dec '09 03:592 edits
    stake in the centre

Good look robbie...however I don't think cxd5 is the plan...

I think Nxd5 and e5 is more probable... The next question is whether Qb3 or Ne2 in my
    mind... also a good clean look at Nh3, as it looks plausible here as well... Capture may
    not be immediate for black either as Ne5 looks very pretty to black.

That said... It looks very very interesting! Rec'd!

-GIN
  5. Joined
    11 Jul '09
    Moves
    10 Dec '09 05:28
    Any gambit, if white goes with d3 and not e3. or, even Nh3.
  6. Joined
    24 Aug '07
    Moves
    10 Dec '09 05:56
    Here's another English gambit for black.

The Bellon Gambit !
  7. Joined
    16 Oct '09
    Moves
    10 Dec '09 07:26
    Originally posted by Nowakowski
    Good look robbie...however I don't think cxd5 is the plan...

[fen]r1bqkb1r/ppp3pp/2n2n2/3N1p2/2P1p3/4P1P1/PP1P1PBP/R1BQK1NR w KQkq - 0 7[/fen]

I think Nxd5 and e5 is more probable... The next question is whether Qb3 or Ne2 in my
    mind... also a good clean look at Nh3, as it looks plausible here as well... Capture may
    not be immediate for black ...[text shortened]... e5 looks very pretty to black.

That said... It looks very very interesting! Rec'd!

-GIN
    As an English player, I actually think cxd5 is better, I'd be more familiar with the ongoing game. The computer rates them equally, and databases seem to have the 2 choices evenly spread out. Personnaly. I'd play d3 instead of e3 anyways so I wouldn't see the gambit... thank god, since the gambit scores like 72% for black so It can't be bad! But like I said, most English players will probably aim for a Botvinnik setup, even if it's a little sketchy in this position.
  8. Account suspended
    Moves
    10 Dec '09 13:05
    Originally posted by irontigran
    wow! its a crazy kind of Danish Scandinavian hybrid Gambit! well how cool is that!

9. Account suspended
    Moves
    10 Dec '09 13:07
    Originally posted by paulbuchmanfromfics
    Here's another English gambit for black.

[pgn]1.c4 e5 2.Nc3 Nf6 3.Nf3 e4 4.Ng5 b5[/pgn]

The Bellon Gambit !
    awesomeness personified! have you tried this in any of your own games? looks kind of like a Sicilian wing gambit reversed.
  10. Joined
    24 Aug '07
    Moves
    10 Dec '09 16:59
    awesomeness personified! have you tried this in any of your own games? looks kind of like a Sicilian wing gambit reversed.
    I haven't really used it that much. I looked at it years ago though. It's crazy and the refutation isn't what you'd expect (5.d3 ... not capturing!). My inspiration for studying it was Chess For Tigers where Polugaevsky was caught by surprise and drew a lesser known player (master?).

By the way, Chess For Tigers is a fine little book. I own one of the early editions and found it quite enjoyable.
  11. Joined
    24 Aug '07
    Moves
    10 Dec '09 17:06
    Also, I own one copy of New In Chess Yearbook (old now), and it covers this gambit!

After a little search, I see that The Gambit Cartel by McGrew (chesscafe.com) has some online articles on it as well.

For now, here's one more game. Mr.French (GM Wolfgang Uhlmann) gets shocked with it and reacts quite passively.

12. Standard memberorion25
    Art is hard
    Moves
    10 Dec '09 19:071 edit
    stake in the centre

it is definitly a good ideia, at least as a surprise weapon. Though in my opinion, at least when black tries to recover the pawn imidiatly it might not be that strong:

Edit: just realised, after 9.Qb3 black plays Bb4+, so perhaps white should play a3 first: 9.a3 Be6 10.b4 with the ideia of playing Bb2.
  13. Account suspended
    Moves
    10 Dec '09 20:24
    Originally posted by paulbuchmanfromfics
    Also, I own one copy of New In Chess Yearbook (old now), and it covers this gambit!

After a little search, I see that The Gambit Cartel by McGrew (chesscafe.com) has some online articles on it as well.

For now, here's one more game. Mr.French (GM Wolfgang Uhlmann) gets shocked with it and reacts quite passively.

[pgn]
    [Site "DDR ...[text shortened]... 23.Qg1
    Qf4+ 24.Kc2 Rae8 25.Re1 Re3 26.Qf1 Qe5 27.Rg1 Qc3+ 28.Kb1 Rxg3
    0-1 [/pgn]
    wow white never gets the chance to develop his kingside, blacks pieces are coming into the game very fast!
  14. Account suspended
    Moves
    10 Dec '09 20:483 edits
    Originally posted by orion25
    it is definitly a good ideia, at least as a surprise weapon. Though in my opinion, at least when black tries to recover the pawn imidiatly it might not be that strong:

[pgn]
    [Event "?"]
    [Site "?"]
    [Date "????.??.??"]
    [Round "?"]
    [White "?"]
    [Black "?"]
    [Result "*"]

1. c4 e5 2. Nc3 Nc6 3. g3 f5 4. Bg2 Nf6 5. e3 d5 6. cxd5 Nb4 7. d3
    Nbxd5 8. Nxd5 ...[text shortened]... perhaps white should play a3 first: 9.a3 Be6 10.b4 with the ideia of playing Bb2.
    hi orion25, there is a greatly instructive game, where white in fact played a3
    because he thought that it as a very safe move, and indeed white wins a pawn,
    however, black gets great compensation for that pawn , for whites idea of Qb3 is
    almost superficial because after white tries to win the pawn, his white squares
    around his king are left very weak, check this out.

position after 1. c4 e5 2. Nc3 Nc6 3. g3 f5 4. Bg2 Nf6 5. e3 d5
    6. cxd5 Nb4 7. d3 Nfxd5 8. Nxd5 Nxd5 9. a3 c6 10. Qb3 Bd6
    11. Bxd5 cxd5 12. Qxd5, white has won a pawn, but is it a pawn
    you would want to take?
  15. Account suspended
    Moves
    10 Dec '09 21:143 edits
    there is also very interesting Fischer game from 1969, in which he gambits a pawn on f4,
    although the validity of this is questionable, commentators have stated that it
    leads to lively play.

Dr. Anthony Saidy v Robert James Fischer, 1969

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree