1. Standard memberorion25
    Art is hard
    Moves
    11 Dec '09 22:51
    Originally posted by philidor position
    by the way, I looked at your post with the pgn and I have to say, the way you play it, it's chess. the way I played it, it was something different, it was the english to the core 🙂.

to elaborate, I played strictly 2.g3 lines and had a -one response only- repertoire, and it wasn't the smartest choice to adopt it, I kept being a total stranger t ...[text shortened]... ramnik repertoire and I'm much happier and more enthusiastic about following GM tournaments.
    ok, I have no clue what you are trying to say, but I read the last entry on your chess.com blog and all your white games were english
  2. Account suspended
    Moves
    11 Dec '09 23:021 edit
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    What was the level of the players? Even I would have seen a dead queen there.
    hi sonhouse to which particular game are you referring to? if its some of the full games that i have posted, these are either international masters or grandmasters. if its just some little variation, then perhaps its just us Patzers trying to work things out, usually i always post the players names and the date. 🙂
  3. Account suspended
    Moves
    11 Dec '09 23:06
    by the way, I looked at your post with the pgn and I have to say, the way you play it, it's chess. the way I played it, it was something different, it was the english to the core 🙂.

to elaborate, I played strictly 2.g3 lines and had a -one response only- repertoire, and it wasn't the smartest choice to adopt it, I kept being a total stranger t ...[text shortened]... ramnik repertoire and I'm much happier and more enthusiastic about following GM tournaments.
    Now I've switched to a Kramnik repertoire and I'm much happier and more enthusiastic about following GM tournaments

i heard ol Vlad has had a really tough time with 1.e4 and has resorted back to his old favourite 1.Nf3, perhaps the greatest living example of playing openings that suits ones temperament. i know a few of his fans followed his indulgence with 1.e4 and equally suffered as a result, and i am not just talking of amateurs, but serious masters and international masters.
  4. Account suspended
    Moves
    11 Dec '09 23:26
    Originally posted by orion25
    ok, I have no clue what you are trying to say, but I read the last entry on your chess.com blog and all your white games were english
    yes, and I meant they are very different from classical english lines where white goes 2.Nc3 most of the time.
  5. Account suspended
    Moves
    11 Dec '09 23:29
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    Now I've switched to a Kramnik repertoire and I'm much happier and more enthusiastic about following GM tournaments

i heard ol Vlad has had a really tough time with 1.e4 and has resorted back to his old favourite 1.Nf3, perhaps the greatest living example of playing openings that suits ones temperament. i know a few of his fans followed his indul ...[text shortened]... result, and i am not just talking of amateurs, but serious masters and international masters.
    I don't think any "serious masters and international masters" would have "suffered" from 1.e4 because of Kramnik. You can be a hater if you wish but come on.

and Kramnik doesn't play Nf3 for a while in classical games, he opens with d4.
  6. Account suspended
    Moves
    11 Dec '09 23:44
    I don't think any "serious masters and international masters" would have "suffered" from 1.e4 because of Kramnik. You can be a hater if you wish but come on.

and Kramnik doesn't play Nf3 for a while in classical games, he opens with d4.
    i am not a hater my friend, really, i just like to poke fun now and again, no harm intended, however i was viewing an ICC video by Jesse Kraai, who recently became a Grandmaster in 2007, in which he stated that as a Vlad fan, he tried 1.e4 after the master, and his play really suffered as a consequence.
  7. Joined
    29 Aug '09
    Moves
    12 Dec '09 00:19
    I remember about 25 years ago I accidentally discovered the Bellon gambit via thinking uhoh my pawn on e4 is doomed now what should I do so discovered ...b5 accidentally that way.
  8. Account suspended
    Moves
    12 Dec '09 01:471 edit
    i am not a hater my friend, really, i just like to poke fun now and again, no harm intended, however i was viewing an ICC video by Jesse Kraai, who recently became a Grandmaster in 2007, in which he stated that as a Vlad fan, he tried 1.e4 after the master, and his play really suffered as a consequence.
    I've watched a video from that guy, he is cool! He just needs to work on his e4 that's all, happens to all of us... 🙂
  9. Account suspended
    Moves
    12 Dec '09 02:331 edit
    I've watched a video from that guy, he is cool! He just needs to work on his e4 that's all, happens to all of us... 🙂
    lol, i think he gave it up and played the Trompowsky or something outrageous like that 🙂
  10. Account suspended
    Moves
    12 Dec '09 02:41
    Originally posted by National Master Dale
    I remember about 25 years ago I accidentally discovered the Bellon gambit via thinking uhoh my pawn on e4 is doomed now what should I do so discovered ...b5 accidentally that way.
    ahh desperation, the mother of invention 🙂
  11. Account suspended
    Moves
    12 Dec '09 02:43
    lol, i think he gave it up and played the Trompowsky or something outrageous like that 🙂
    What? Some failure in e4 is no excuse for going all britney spears in d4! 🙂
  12. Account suspended
    Moves
    12 Dec '09 02:46
    What? Some failure in e4 is no excuse for going all britney spears in d4! 🙂
    and whats wrong with Britney?, i think shes cool and would play the Trompowsky anyday! 😛 Swiss Gambit likes her as well!
  13. Account suspended
    Moves
    12 Dec '09 02:551 edit
    actually i was wondering what you guys who play the English think of the pawn
    sacrifice on f4, as played in Fischer famous game, against Dr. Saidy. i have heard
    that it is over optimistic and does not really lead to anything with correct play, was
    wondering what you guys thought. Has anyone played it against you, how did you
    react?

Dr. Anthony Saidy v Robert James Fischer, 1969

14. Joined
    16 Oct '09
    Moves
    12 Dec '09 03:03
    actually i was wondering what you guys who play the English think of the pawn
    sacrifice on f4, as played in Fischer famous game, against Dr. Saidy. i have heard
    that it is over optimistic and does not really lead to anything with correct play, was
    wondering what you guys thought. Has anyone played it against you, how did you
    react?

Dr. Antho ...[text shortened]... . Rxa1 Nxa4 32. Rxa4 Qe4 33. Bxa5 Rxa5 34. Rxa5 Qe1+ 35. Kh2 Qxa5 0-1[/pgn]
    Vs fischer? I would have resigned after that move.
  15. Joined
    18 Jun '08
    Moves
    12 Dec '09 10:531 edit
    I played the black side of an english with f5-f4 this week . The standard of play isn't great, but it shows white can get munched pretty quickly, especially otb

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree