Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Only Chess Forum

Only Chess Forum

1. 16 Apr '06 13:30
    i'm curious with what other openings this opening can be combined in a repertoire..
    thanks!
  2. 16 Apr '06 13:34
    Originally posted by savcalin
    i'm curious with what other openings this opening can be combined in a repertoire..
    thanks!
    You could also play the Slav Defence against 1.d4 for a similar pawn structure 1.d4 d5 2.c4 c6

Be warned that there can be a lot of theory in it.
  3. 16 Apr '06 13:38
    Originally posted by Positional Player
    You could also play the Slav Defence against 1.d4 for a similar pawn structure 1.d4 d5 2.c4 c6

Be warned that there can be a lot of theory in it.
    thanks!
    what about against 1.e4?
  4. Standard member Smiffy
    SPS CLAN
    16 Apr '06 13:43 / 1 edit
    The slavs ok i aint played it in ages its a nice oppening.....e4 you could play c6,d5 which is the caro kann,
    But most people like to play c5 against e4
  5. Standard member fierytorment
    Mr. Flame of Fury
    17 Apr '06 01:47
    I find the caro-kahn can morph into the french if forced by white.....

c6 is much more simpler than playing c5 against e4 for the most part
  6. Standard member GalaxyShield
    Mr. Shield
    17 Apr '06 05:34
    Originally posted by fierytorment
    I find the caro-kahn can morph into the french if forced by white.....

c6 is much more simpler than playing c5 against e4 for the most part
    Yes, and a lot more aggrivating as well.
  7. 04 May '06 10:56
    someone suggest me an opening more lively

...and don't tell me the sicilian...!

i need somebody who is sick of caro-kann and just find another...
  8. 04 May '06 11:51 / 1 edit
    I play the CK and have the same problem...fierytorment is right...esp. if White plays 3.e5...you get a French type set up that I dislike; when I see it, I want to start throwing pieces against the wall. I don't like to play the Sicilian either so I've tried the Ruy Lopez Breyer Variation a few times...seems to be OK. The only problem is finding a defense to the King's Gambit. In that case, 2....Bc5 throws some KG players off-stride.
  9. 04 May '06 14:18
    Originally posted by savcalin
    thanks!
    what about against 1.e4?
    The French can get lively, plus you can create counter chances.
  10. Standard member DeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    04 May '06 14:51
    Originally posted by masscat
    I play the CK and have the same problem...fierytorment is right...esp. if White plays 3.e5...you get a French type set up that I dislike; when I see it, I want to start throwing pieces against the wall. I don't like to play the Sicilian either so I've tried the Ruy Lopez Breyer Variation a few times...seems to be OK. The only problem is finding a defense to the King's Gambit. In that case, 2....Bc5 throws some KG players off-stride.
    If you want to avoid possibilities of transposing into the French, the King's gambit and the Sicilian then Alekhine's defence looks like being the only opening left.
  11. 04 May '06 15:53
    Originally posted by DeepThought
    If you want to avoid possibilities of transposing into the French, the King's gambit and the Sicilian then Alekhine's defence looks like being the only opening left.
    I've thought about it...ever play it?
  12. 04 May '06 19:36
    in my opinion caro-kann defence is the most unsens opening wich i coud say it's not a opening because an opening open something but this close your qeenside by an half move on c file wich is definately loose a tempo is maybe the only opening wich blocks alone only if the adversar play panov and open you so that coud be some kind of help because it 's open you a way (the qeenside) so withougut that "help" you have practicaly no future if the adversary play no mistake
    SO IT'S A WRONG PLAN FROM THE START(even the first move is wrong only because blocks the posibility of the knight to go there)
    and i don't speak about the psihollogicaly disconfort of the e pawn which can't be conquer (e5)which can be understand in french which attack on the other side or some variation KID(d5)but there can be an attack on the other side with f5 then all the kingside pawns
    so my thinking is to let a hole in your defence only if you can attack on the other side to compensate e file is the left side as black so you shoud be able to attack on the quunside and the caro in his first move stop this, you practicaly breack yourself !
    SCUSE MY ENGLISH AND IF YOU UNERSTAND THE IDEA I EXPECT TO CONTRADICT ME AND"OPEN MY MIND"
  13. 04 May '06 23:50
    Sav...I couldn't even tell that was English. Maybe if I could understand what you were saying I might contradict it, but wow, at least fix the gross number of typos, please.
  14. 05 May '06 00:21 / 1 edit
    I think he's saying.....
    CK is a useless opening and is only good if White plays the Panov which leads to an open game. Black has no future against other lines. The CK is wrong from the start because it blocks the N from going to c6. From the rest of it apparently he thinks Black lacks counterplay. Don’t be too harsh; it took me three years to learn to speak English, and his English is better than my Roumanian.
  15. 05 May '06 00:28
    I wasn't being harsh, it was really nearly impossible to understand.