1. Joined
    08 Apr '12
    Moves
    13 Apr '12 02:07
    Originally posted by deenny
    Where did you have a check in this game that you resigned
    Thats not the point. The point is when you know you're losing in a game you should not claim a draw. A true draw to me is either when both parties agree to it or when a king is unable to move without being in check position.
  2. Joined
    15 Jun '06
    Moves
    13 Apr '12 02:16
    Originally posted by RedKnight12
    Thats not the point. The point is when you know you're losing in a game you should not claim a draw. A true draw to me is either when both parties agree to it or when a king is unable to move without being in check position.
    I challenge you. See if you can force a draw this way against me.
  3. Standard memberChessPraxis
    Cowboy From Hell
    American West
    Moves
    13 Apr '12 02:53
    Thanks cowboy, Thats what I would do as well. In fact I did that when I played him 2 games before this one. I knew I had almost no chance of winning, I just resigned.
    And I agree michael, if only I had known this, I could have turned most of my losses to draws not just on RHP (I'm new here) but since I first began playing years ago!
    Yeah, about that, you need your sarcasm meter checked, along with your chess savvy.
  4. Joined
    12 Oct '09
    Moves
    13 Apr '12 08:41
    The point is that the player checking you is not losing the game. He has a forced draw.
  5. Joined
    08 Apr '12
    Moves
    13 Apr '12 13:17
    The point is that the player checking you is not losing the game. He has a forced draw.
    And thats ok? jeez! all these years I played and I could have got draws instead of losses! just one last question, is this international rule or just RHP?
  6. e4
    Moves
    13 Apr '12 13:23
    Hi Red.

Read this thread Thread 78055
  7. Account suspended
    Moves
    13 Apr '12 13:24
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    So at RHP there is no automatic draw? It has to be requested, a draw claim? It must be like that ---
    Yep, this is the point RHP should be improved. The same is in the tool Analyze board, you can ignore check and there is no automatic "checkmate!" etc.

Now I wonder, if this is also can happen: King versus King, and one of them refuses to accept a draw?!
  8. Joined
    08 Apr '09
    Moves
    13 Apr '12 13:30
    Originally posted by vandervelde
    Yep, this is the point RHP should be improved. The same is in the tool Analyze board, you can ignore check and there is no automatic "checkmate!" etc.

Now I wonder, if this is also can happen: King versus King, and one of them refuses to accept a draw?!
    50-move draw rule, or 3fold repetition can both force a draw in that case
  9. e4
    Moves
    13 Apr '12 13:36
    Game 1120321

Two lone Kings dance a tango around the board for 40+ moves before agreeing a draw.
  10. Joined
    21 Jan '12
    Moves
    13 Apr '12 13:48
    Originally posted by greenpawn34
    Game 1120321

Two lone Kings dance a tango around the board for 40+ moves before agreeing a draw.
    that game must have a story!
  11. Joined
    12 Oct '09
    Moves
    13 Apr '12 13:54
    And thats ok? jeez! all these years I played and I could have got draws instead of losses! just one last question, is this international rule or just RHP?
    You have to understand that this is not as easy as you seem to think. Have a look at the game which you resigned and see if you can find the checks which get you the draw. They are not there. You have to work at getting the position to get the draw and as someone has said, it is not easy. You were caught because you were not protecting yourself against the threat. If you cannot force a checkmate you cannot claim to be winning the game
  12. Standard memberhedonist
    peacedog's keeper
    Moves
    13 Apr '12 14:01

The rules of chess state that you must claim a draw for threefold/50 move. The only automatic draw is a stalemate. So RHP does it right.

Though the lone king thing should be made auto on this site, in my view.
  13. Joined
    12 Oct '09
    Moves
    13 Apr '12 14:032 edits

Draws by repetion have to be claimed. In your example of king v king it only needs one of the players to claim the draw. If both continue to play the game, they can indeed do so. You seem to misunderstand what the analyze board is for. It is the same as having a real board in front of you that you can move around on. It is not its function to show you legal moves, whether you in check, etc

Sorry hedonist, our paths crossed
  14. Account suspended
    Moves
    13 Apr '12 14:101 edit
    Draws by repetion have to be claimed. In your example of king v king it only needs one of the players to claim the draw. If both continue to play the game, they can indeed do so. You seem to misunderstand what the analyze board is for. It is the same as having a real board in front of you that you can move around on. It is not its function to show you legal moves, whether you in check, etc
    No really, I don't seem to misunderstand anything here.

I can name several chess sites which have this tool analyze board, and there is an automatic checkmate, and when checked you cannot move anything else except to protect the King (or else is checkmate). And there is also automatic draw after 3 repetitions on this sites.

Oh please, don't tell me "Go to these sites", I only agreed with sonhouse's rethorical question here, I don't pose any request to the site's administrators.

Thanks for having explained to me what analyze board is, imagine that, I actually expected from that board a fresh horoscope and a glass of orange juice every morning..
    Really ...
  15. Standard memberhedonist
    peacedog's keeper
    Moves
    13 Apr '12 14:12
    Originally posted by Wilfriedva
    that game must have a story!
    Reminds me of the old April fool review by Speelman of Nunn's book "Secrets of Pawnless and Pieceless Endgames". Maybe they were doing research for a new addition😉

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree