Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Only Chess Forum

Only Chess Forum

  1. Subscriber LordofADown
    King of all Hills
    20 Dec '06 01:49 / 1 edit
    What is the best way to respond to the french defense for those of us who prefer open games?
  2. 20 Dec '06 01:59
    The Milner-Barry Gambit might be worth a shot. You could try the exchange...
  3. Standard member HomerJSimpson
    Renouned Grob Killer
    20 Dec '06 02:03
    I would go with Bedlams attack
  4. 20 Dec '06 02:05
    Originally posted by zebano
    The Milner-Barry Gambit might be worth a shot. You could try the exchange...
    I've never tried the Milner-Barry, but it does look interesting.

    The Reti Gambit and Tarrasch are what I, as a definite tactical/attacking player, would recommend.

    Reti:
    1.e4 e6 2.b3 d5 3.Bb2 dxe4 - the pawn is generally regained.

    Tarrasch:
    1.e4 e6 2.d4 d5 3.Nd2 - This leads to IQP positions pretty often from what I've heard, so you'll want to be comfortable with those.
  5. Subscriber LordofADown
    King of all Hills
    20 Dec '06 02:05 / 1 edit
    The exchange usually leads to a mirror match (my opponent and I making the same exact moves) which can get very frustrating, I was thinking maybe 2. e5, has that ever been tested?
    Breaking the rule of moving the same pawn twice in an opening though
  6. 20 Dec '06 02:05
    Originally posted by HomerJSimpson
    I would go with Bedlams attack
    That's the Reti Gambit. (Bedlam is a player on this site)
  7. 20 Dec '06 02:06 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by LordofADown
    The exchange usually leads to a mirror match (my opponent and I making the same exact moves) which can get very frustrating, I was thinking maybe 2. e5, has that ever been tested?
    It would probably transpose to the advanced, i.e.

    1.e4 e6 2.e5 d5 - although white can take here if he wants, I don't think he really benefits from it because it's essentially trading your e pawn for his c pawn.

    And that would mean not only breaking the rule of moving a pawn twice, but three times.
  8. Subscriber LordofADown
    King of all Hills
    20 Dec '06 02:06
    Originally posted by cmsMaster
    That's the Reti Gambit. (Bedlam is a player on this site)
    haha
  9. Subscriber LordofADown
    King of all Hills
    20 Dec '06 02:07
    Originally posted by cmsMaster
    I've never tried the Milner-Barry, but it does look interesting.

    The Reti Gambit and Tarrasch are what I, as a definite tactical/attacking player, would recommend.

    Reti:
    1.e4 e6 2.b3 d5 3.Bb2 dxe4 - the pawn is generally regained.

    Tarrasch:
    1.e4 e6 2.d4 d5 3.Nd2 - This leads to IQP positions pretty often from what I've heard, so you'll want to be comfortable with those.
    I'm sorry, but what is IQP?
  10. 20 Dec '06 02:10 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by LordofADown
    I'm sorry, but what is IQP?
    I knew you were going to ask that, I was just too lazy to rewrite it in the hopes that you might actually know it.

    IQP:Isolated Queen's Pawn. Meaning that you don't have a friendly e or c pawn next to it, making it isolated from the rest. Generally viewed as a weakness it has the potential to be strong as a "battering ram" (Which is something I can't recall making use of, but I generally don't get into IQP positions) or an unstoppable passer (meaning it will queen).


    In case that wasn't descriptive enough:

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isolated_pawn
  11. 20 Dec '06 02:18
    Originally posted by LordofADown
    The exchange usually leads to a mirror match (my opponent and I making the same exact moves) which can get very frustrating, I was thinking maybe 2. e5, has that ever been tested?
    Breaking the rule of moving the same pawn twice in an opening though
    Sorry, I had some html markup indicating that I didn't like the exchange either, but RHP doesn't seem to allow that (shrugs).

    Anyway, the Tarrasch is a good choice (and is the response I struggle with most as a french player) , but it does depend slightly on what your opponent plays.The modern line with e6, d5, and c5 does tend to reduce to IQP positions, however simply answering 3. Nd2 with Nf6 can often lead to classical-ish positions (white can still play exd5 but it's not quite as useful here as in the modern lines).
  12. Subscriber LordofADown
    King of all Hills
    20 Dec '06 02:39 / 1 edit
    Thanks for all the responses homies! it's very much appreciated

    ...What about 3. f3 what would probably be black's response?
  13. 20 Dec '06 04:09
    I think d4 followed by Nc3 and Bg5 vs Nf6 is best for the kind of games you want.
  14. 20 Dec '06 05:14
    Originally posted by cmsMaster
    That's the Reti Gambit. (Bedlam is a player on this site)
    Grins.

    Reti gambit is great fun, French defence players certainly eat up a lot of time in the opening stages and whites attacking prospects are good.
  15. 20 Dec '06 08:58
    Originally posted by LordofADown
    What is the best way to respond to the french defense for those of us who prefer open games?
    There is no best reply to the french defense - all are bad.

    But, if you still want to blunder with 1. e4, you could try playing the 3. Nd2 which could be a good way for a newcomer to try and equalize with white =)