1. Joined
    14 Jul '06
    Moves
    31 Aug '07 05:33
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    3. e5
    I used to play the advance but now I'm trying out the exchange variation.

What do you people think about those two systems which seem the most natural to me?
  2. Standard memberKorch
    Chess Warrior
    Riga
    Moves
    31 Aug '07 06:35
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    3. e5
    If you like to play this move I would advice you to check games of GM Sveshnikov - he is one of the best experts in that line.
  3. Standard membernajdorfslayer
    The Ever Living
    Third Earth
    Moves
    31 Aug '07 07:35
    Originally posted by Korch
    If you like to play this move I would advice you to check games of GM Sveshnikov - he is one of the best experts in that line.
    I have stopped playing 1.e4 OTB and one of the main reasons is this

I HATE THE BLOODY FRENCH DEFENCE

Very tricky opening to play as White
    As the follwing game shows :'(

Game 3797576

I don't think I made any massive mistakes here (no ?? moves), I just find it so hard to play these positions as White.

No more 1.e4 for me! (OTB at least)
  4. Standard memberKorch
    Chess Warrior
    Riga
    Moves
    31 Aug '07 08:15
    Originally posted by najdorfslayer

[b]I HATE THE BLOODY FRENCH DEFENCE

As the follwing game shows :'(

Game 3797576

I don't think I made any massive mistakes here (no ?? moves), I just find it so hard to play these positions as White.

No more 1.e4 for me! (OTB at least)[/b]
    I had problems to find good system against French for a long time 9that was reason why I wanted to stop playing 1.e4), but then decided to play 3.Nc3 and after 3...Bb4 (against which I had problems) 4.exd5 - which is not so harmless as it may seem.
  5. Standard membernajdorfslayer
    The Ever Living
    Third Earth
    Moves
    31 Aug '07 08:25
    I had problems to find good system against French for a long time 9that was reason why I wanted to stop playing 1.e4), but then decided to play 3.Nc3 and after 3...Bb4 (against which I had problems) 4.exd5 - which is not so harmless as it may seem.
    You know a guy at my club says the same thing, however I said it was the main reason, to be honest, I only played 1.e4 in the hope that Black would play 1...e5 or 1...c5, I don't like playing against the Alekhines, Caro-Kann, Pirc, Scandinavian much either.

Thay are good defences but I am not that good playing against them (they always end up in draws, which is not good for White).

I think I will stick with 1.Nf3! Transposing to 1.d4 openings of my choice. I play them positions MUCH better!
  6. Under ur ChessBoard!
    Moves
    31 Aug '07 10:45
    I HATE THE BLOODY FRENCH DEFENCE

[/b]
    LOL, i used to feel the same way about the French..however all you need to do is understand it a little better and you should have more fun playing against it. Well although its easier said then done...with some studying on my own I did I look forward to playing against it. Once you become good at it becomes tricky for your opponent to play it..
  7. Under ur ChessBoard!
    Moves
    31 Aug '07 10:48
    Indeed, plus at
  8. Standard memberWulebgr
    Angler
    River City
    Moves
    31 Aug '07 13:08

[b]I HATE THE BLOODY FRENCH DEFENCE

[/b]
    I did that too. Then I started playing 1...e6 as black, and after awhile became comfortable playing 1.e4 again. Still, 1.e4 is subordinate to "better" choices: 1.d4, 1.Nf3, 1.c4, and lately 1.g3.

A lot of players turn to the French because they grow weary of busting their head against it. Just think how the world would differ today if George Bush were a 1.e4 player.
  9. Standard membernajdorfslayer
    The Ever Living
    Third Earth
    Moves
    31 Aug '07 13:233 edits
    Originally posted by Wulebgr
    I did that too. Then I started playing 1...e6 as black, and after awhile became comfortable playing 1.e4 again. Still, 1.e4 is subordinate to "better" choices: 1.d4, 1.Nf3, 1.c4, and lately 1.g3.

A lot of players turn to the French because they grow weary of busting their head against it. Just think how the world would differ today if George Bush were a 1.e4 player.
    Play 1...e6 as Black against 1.e4 😲
    I don't think I could force my hand to play such a move!!
    There would be a lot of resistance there!!

The Sicilian is a very jealous lover, I don't want to upset her!!
  10. Standard memberWulebgr
    Angler
    River City
    Moves
    31 Aug '07 14:22

I had an affair with the Sicilian that lasted 25 years, and then learned the French kiss!
  11. 127.0.0.1
    Moves
    31 Aug '07 14:24

I made the switch when I came back to chess after 5 years away. I was shocked to find that I rarely had trouble right out of the opening and always ended up with middlegames where I felt I had a chance. The only downside is that while there are one or two common traps (Nc6 and the e5 square) that work on the worse players, it is still hard work to convert that into a won game.
  12. Standard membernajdorfslayer
    The Ever Living
    Third Earth
    Moves
    31 Aug '07 14:26
    Originally posted by zebano
    I made the switch when I came back to chess after 5 years away. I was shocked to find that I rarely had trouble right out of the opening and always ended up with middlegames where I felt I had a chance. The only downside is that while there are one or two common traps (Nc6 and the e5 square) that work on the worse players, it is still hard work to convert that into a won game.
    Sorry to offend Zebano but the French doesn't bring the best chess with either colour, believe me I have tried!😛
  13. 127.0.0.1
    Moves
    31 Aug '07 15:24
    Sorry to offend Zebano but the French doesn't bring the best chess with either colour, believe me I have tried!😛
    What you need is practice.

Tournament 2563
  14. Joined
    29 Jul '01
    Moves
    31 Aug '07 16:27
    Originally posted by badivan1
    After 1.e4 e6 2.d4 d5, would you play 3.Nf3 or 3.Nd2 and why?
    I would play 3. Nc3 ,,, ,3.e5 ... ,3.Nd2 .... ,in that order before I would ever play 3. Nf3. I started playing 3. Nc3 after I saw a French Poison Pawn game. 3. Nd2 is good for both posional and tactical play?
  15. Joined
    29 Jul '01
    Moves
    31 Aug '07 16:331 edit
    Do not tell Botvinnik or Korchnoi that. I have been told that Fischer had more trouble playing against the French Defence then any other opening. I do not know if that is true or not.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree