1. Joined
    07 Nov '04
    Moves
    28 Mar '08 11:51
    Originally posted by Crushing Day
    How do you deal with this beast? It seems that White always has a move advantage on Black, no matter how well Black plays... or am I giving this variation way more credit than it deserves?

Is the reason for it's great popularity at club level because of Morphy's influence? I believe he played it quite a bit, if not mistaken.
    Logically speaking, the Exchange Variation can't really pose too many problems for Frwnch players. However, not all French players may want to play an open game at such an early stage. It's also a legitimate tactic to play such variations against much stronger opposition in the hope they select objectively weaker lines to avoid drawish continuations.
  2. 127.0.0.1
    Moves
    28 Mar '08 12:45
    As an addendum, to the white players. If you want to play a non-drawish game, castle on opposite sides which generally leads to pawn storms.
  3. Joined
    14 Jul '06
    Moves
    28 Mar '08 13:00
    Originally posted by Northern Lad
    Logically speaking, the Exchange Variation can't really pose too many problems for Frwnch players. However, not all French players may want to play an open game at such an early stage. It's also a legitimate tactic to play such variations against much stronger opposition in the hope they select objectively weaker lines to avoid drawish continuations.
    Doesn't an early white c4 as in my OTB game help avoid the drawish lines?
  4. Joined
    07 Nov '04
    Moves
    29 Mar '08 09:24
    Originally posted by Squelchbelch
    So a stronger player as black would probably welcome 4.c4.
  5. Joined
    02 Feb '06
    Moves
    30 Mar '08 06:23
    I've had excellent success with the Reti Gambit 1.e4 e6 2.b3 d5 3.Bb2!? against the French.
  6. Joined
    19 Nov '05
    Moves
    30 Mar '08 08:201 edit
    Originally posted by cmsMaster
    I've had excellent success with the Reti Gambit 1.e4 e6 2.b3 d5 3.Bb2!? against the French.
    OK.....? That doesn't look like a French exchange.

One way to avoid drawish lines in the French exchange is to play the knight to e7 instead of f6. It works for me. 🙂 I've also played h6 to prevent Bg5, but that's probably not quite as good. I'm no expert on the French defense.
  7. Joined
    07 Nov '04
    Moves
    30 Mar '08 09:53
    Originally posted by cmsMaster
    I've played something similar against the Caro Kann. It seems playable if nothing special. I've also had success with the original Tchigorin (1.e4 e6 2.Qe2 c5 3.b3!?), which is hardly played any more.
  8. Standard memberKorch
    Chess Warrior
    Riga
    Moves
    30 Mar '08 09:58
    Originally posted by Northern Lad
    I've played something similar against the Caro Kann. It seems playable if nothing special. I've also had success with the original Tchigorin (1.e4 e6 2.Qe2 c5 3.b3!?), which is hardly played any more.
    Btw whats your opinion about 1.e4 e6 2.d3!? d5 3.Qe2!?
  9. Joined
    07 Nov '04
    Moves
    30 Mar '08 10:21
    Originally posted by Korch
    Btw whats your opinion about 1.e4 e6 2.d3!? d5 3.Qe2!?
    It seems to be a fairly standard idea in the KIA. I think lines with b3 can be more interesting and maybe somewhat trickier for well-versed French players to meet.
  10. Joined
    02 Feb '06
    Moves
    30 Mar '08 23:17
    Originally posted by exigentsky
    OK.....? That doesn't look like a French exchange.

One way to avoid drawish lines in the French exchange is to play the knight to e7 instead of f6. It works for me. 🙂 I've also played h6 to prevent Bg5, but that's probably not quite as good. I'm no expert on the French defense.
    It's not...but it's still a good way to play against the (lame) French Defense.
  11. Standard memberJonathanB of London
    Curb Your Enthusiasm
    London
    Moves
    31 Mar '08 22:44
    Originally posted by Squelchbelch
    It certainly unbalances the pawn structure. Personally I'd rather play Black against the IQP.

Korchnoi has often played an early ... c5 as Black against the Exchange with a similar position but with Black having the IQP. Not my cup of tea but works well for him and - again - unbalances the pawn structure.

For an example - follow the link in my earlier post on this thread.

I've played half a dozen or so Exchange French games as Black (OTB) in the past couple of years and a bunch more on RHP in the 6 months or so that I've been a member. I can't remember a single one that was dull.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree