1. Joined
    19 Jun '06
    Moves
    12 Feb '09 14:321 edit
    Okay, if Reuben Fine could go down the silly psychology path, then I guess I'm also entitled.

White to play. Does White deliver mate with Qa1 or Qb7, and why? (Okay, there may not really be a reason, but we're having fun, right?)

P.S. Keep the responses clean... Uh, well, at least clean enough that nobody gets into trouble. πŸ™‚
  2. Standard memberblack beetle
    Black Beastie
    Scheveningen
    Moves
    12 Feb '09 14:47
    Originally posted by Mad Rook
    Okay, if Reuben Fine could go down the silly psychology path, then I guess I'm also entitled.

[fen]8/k1K5/8/8/8/8/8/7Q w - - 0 1[/fen]

White to play. Does White deliver mate with Qa1 or Qb7, and why? (Okay, there may not really be a reason, but we're having fun, right?)

P.S. Keep the responses clean... Uh, well, at least clean enough that nobody gets into trouble. πŸ™‚
    Qb7 and the Lady cuts the head of the Black whilst her King pushes her hard from behind😡
  3. Joined
    06 May '08
    Moves
    12 Feb '09 14:501 edit

I'd go for 1. Qb7#. I'm afraid I can't give a definite reason but I think it feels more final to me. Perhaps the black's king has "less" spaces it can flee to. Either that, or it's because a rook could mate 1. Ra1# in that situation and I'm not about to belittle my piece (Curse you Freud!).

Incidentally, Fritz goes for 1. Qb7# and so does Chessmaster. I guess that's a 100% match up for me! 😲
  4. Standard memberYuga
    Renaissance
    OnceInALifetime
    Moves
    12 Feb '09 14:59
    Qb7# - everybody loves a happy ending! - hmm...

http://images4.wikia.nocookie.net/uncyclopedia/images/a/a7/Chess_cheat.jpg
  5. Joined
    06 May '08
    Moves
    12 Feb '09 15:01
    Game 3644066

Apparently Freud himself would rather not put his queen near another king when the choice is available. Interesting...

(Some charming looking miniatures to be found looking through that profile.)
  6. Standard memberclandarkfire
    Grammar Nazi
    Auschwitz
    Moves
    13 Feb '09 00:51
    Qb7#, because Qa2# seems more "usuall". You always pick the more unusuall mate.
  7. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    13 Feb '09 01:12
    The Sadist plays 1.Qh6 and then 2.Qa6#.
    The Artistic Sadist plays 1.Qf1 and then 2.Qa6#
  8. Joined
    15 Jan '08
    Moves
    13 Feb '09 02:06
    For those who are suicidal, intelligence challenged, or just like to keep the balance...Qa8+ followed by Kxa8 stalemate. πŸ˜€ πŸ™„
  9. Joined
    23 Sep '07
    Moves
    13 Feb '09 02:12
    Qa1# is the better win. If black were to continue he would move to a square and be captured and white wins with king and queen left.
    Also you're delivering the rook style checkmate which spits in your opponents face letting him know you didn't need a queen, a rook would have sufficed.

checkmating on b7 isn't as good. You had to do the queen only checkmate. Also if black were to continue he would take your queen and you would take his king. Thus you're only left with a king.

Therefore Qa1 is better
  10. Joined
    29 Jun '05
    Moves
    13 Feb '09 13:31
    White to play. Does White deliver mate with Qa1 or Qb7, and why?
    Qa1 is the best, this requires less physical effort on White's part since the distance he has to move the Queen is shorter.
  11. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    13 Feb '09 13:39
    White to play. Does White deliver mate with Qa1 or Qb7, and why?
    Wouldn't anyone play Qa8+?
  12. Joined
    19 Jun '06
    Moves
    13 Feb '09 13:46
    Originally posted by FabianFnas
    Wouldn't anyone play Qa8+?
    Not me, man. πŸ™‚
  13. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    13 Feb '09 20:561 edit

I'd play Qa8# for the simple reason that it ever so subtlely demonstrates slightly more understanding of the game than Qb2#. Every kid that knows how to move the pieces is familiar with the smothering the king with a protected queen mate. The mate of a rook/queen on the back rank mating the enemy because your King cut off the second rank is a slightly more sophisticated and subtle mate.
  14. Joined
    19 Jun '06
    Moves
    13 Feb '09 21:13
    Originally posted by sh76
    I'd play Qa8# for the simple reason that it ever so subtlely demonstrates slightly more understanding of the game than Qb2#. Every kid that knows how to move the pieces is familiar with the smothering the king with a protected queen mate. The mate of a rook/queen on the back rank mating the enemy because your King cut off the second rank is a slightly more sophisticated and subtle mate.
    Um, you mean Qa1# and Qb7#? πŸ˜‰
  15. Standard memberivan2908
    SelfProclaimedTitler
    Moves
    13 Feb '09 21:29
    Originally posted by black beetle
    Qb7 and the Lady cuts the head of the Black whilst her King pushes her hard from behind😡
    I would rec that !!! LOL LOL !!

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree