1. Standard memberJamin
    Irresponsible Quoter
    0 games mating
    Moves
    09 Apr '07 22:49
    Noticed that Fritz 10 is getting more reasonable in price now.
    Can you use it to analyze your past/completed games?
    Does it let you do it is the question...
    (No flames, thank you in advance. I know the site rules.)
    What's the difference between fritz 10 and deepfritz? besides the money, that is... any input?
  2. Standard memberwormwood
    If Theres Hell Below
    We're All Gonna Go!
    Moves
    09 Apr '07 22:591 edit
    Originally posted by Jamin
    What's the difference between fritz 10 and deepfritz? besides the money, that is... any input?
    an engine is quite essential in going over your completed games and even working on openings. it doesn't really matter much which engine you have, as checking out short(ish) tactics is what you're going to be using it for. so a free one will do just as well.

but with fritz you also get a one year subscription for playchess server and a rudimentary database. and if you really think about it, fritz doesn't cost that much. but you can do without it, using almost as good free tools just as well if you like.

deep fritz is the multiprocessor version.
  3. Standard memberJamin
    Irresponsible Quoter
    0 games mating
    Moves
    09 Apr '07 23:22
    Originally posted by wormwood
    an engine is quite essential in going over your completed games and even working on openings. it doesn't really matter much which engine you have, as checking out short(ish) tactics is what you're going to be using it for. so a free one will do just as well.

but with fritz you also get a one year subscription for playchess server and a rudimentary databa ...[text shortened]... ost as good free tools just as well if you like.

deep fritz is the multiprocessor version.
    aha.
    I have gnuchess, I don't/didn't know to use it to analyze one of my completed games though, I've just been playing against it.

Fritz sounds like it can teach you somewhat...

I'll have to google this some more I think.
    Any you like to use whether free or commercial? Chessbase?

Thanks for your input so far.

-J
  4. Joined
    26 Jul '06
    Moves
    10 Apr '07 00:04
    aha.
    I have gnuchess, I don't/didn't know to use it to analyze one of my completed games though, I've just been playing against it.

Fritz sounds like it can teach you somewhat...

I'll have to google this some more I think.
    Any you like to use whether free or commercial? Chessbase?

Thanks for your input so far.

-J
    I use the Babaschess interface at FICS and it lets me analyse with "crafty." That was free, and I can import PGN's from here or wherever and use it to analyse those.
  5. Standard memberJamin
    Irresponsible Quoter
    0 games mating
    Moves
    10 Apr '07 00:16
    Okay, I might start with that and see how it goes.
    I'm going to dig into the chess forum posts on linux too, I'm looking for something that will run on that platform as well, since I have both.

Thanks [username removed] 😵
  6. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Quarantined World
    Moves
    10 Apr '07 00:33
    Okay, I might start with that and see how it goes.
    I'm going to dig into the chess forum posts on linux too, I'm looking for something that will run on that platform as well, since I have both.

Thanks [username removed] 😵
    If you have linux then you should be able to download the source code from ftp://ftp.cis.uab.edu/pub/hyatt and build it yourself. That site has executables for windows, so you can get everything there.
  7. Joined
    18 Feb '07
    Moves
    10 Apr '07 00:46
    I think Shredder provides linux compatible versions. It is equivalent to Fritz in strength, more or less. The multiprocessor versions are much faster, so stronger unless you use a lot of time when analyzing. In most cases, the programs don't help out that much in teaching chess. I think books are still much better at that job. I mainly use it for analyzing, which is an invaluable tool when you are serious about improving.
  8. Joined
    26 Jul '06
    Moves
    10 Apr '07 00:471 edit
    Originally posted by Zander 88
    I think Shredder provides linux compatible versions. It is equivalent to Fritz in strength, more or less. The multiprocessor versions are much faster, so stronger unless you use a lot of time when analyzing. In most cases, the programs don't help out that much in teaching chess. I think books are still much better at that job. I mainly use it for analyzing, which is an invaluable tool when you are serious about improving.
    or if you're just thoroughly hacked-off with losing to a particular person and want to find out where you went wrong...

at least thats what I do... am i doing it wrong?
  9. Joined
    18 Feb '07
    Moves
    10 Apr '07 00:54
    Originally posted by st00p1dfac3
    or if you're just thoroughly hacked-off with losing to a particular person and want to find out where you went wrong...

at least thats what I do... am i doing it wrong?
    nah, that is what I meant. After I get mauled in a game, or it is highly tactical, I show it to Mr. Fritz to see where I could improve. I also use it to check out opening variations when I'm bored...

I use infinite analysis all the time instead of its deep analysis features and what not.
  10. Account suspended
    Moves
    10 Apr '07 15:00
    fritz interface is the best I've seen for analysis. if you're just looking for a strong engine, try fruit, that's free and very strong. but if you're looking for in depth analysis, study all kinds of different variations, etc, the fritz interface is just excelent for that.

but, actually, chess db is also good, and free. (of course you need a strong and free engine to analyise games with it, but they're easy to find if you google it). I'd recommend you to check with chess db first, and if you're not satisfied, then you can go on and try fritz.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree