1. Hainesport, NJ, USA
    Moves
    04 Nov '07 14:34
    Any opinions on new Fritz. Anybody buying? Supposed to be 80 pts stronger with some tactics additions. Some people buy it just to get another year of playchess.comwithout shelling out for more subscriptiion money.
  2. Account suspended
    Moves
    04 Nov '07 18:35
    I can't put a dent in Fritz 7 with it set at 5 seconds/move, see no reason to upgrade.
  3. Joined
    19 Nov '05
    Moves
    04 Nov '07 19:40
    Few bother to play against these engines at full strength. The whole purpose is analysis. Where have you made mistakes in your games and what should you have done? If it provides better analysis and alternative moves, that's what matters.
  4. Standard memberHurricaneConway125
    SUPREMO OF SOMERSET
    SOMERSET
    Moves
    04 Nov '07 21:23
    I've beaten fritz 9 on it's unleashed setting and I'm only 15 so I'm slightly unsure of it's capabilities now! lol
  5. USA
    Moves
    05 Nov '07 02:10
    Originally posted by HurricaneConway125
    I've beaten fritz 9 on it's unleashed setting and I'm only 15 so I'm slightly unsure of it's capabilities now! lol
    Fritz 10 just came out last october! This is ridiculous how quickly they jump to a new version
  6. Hainesport, NJ, USA
    Moves
    05 Nov '07 02:25
    It's set for November 23. Here's some of the speel:

New in FRITZ 11: new, dramatically improved chess engine (about 80 Elo points stronger); upgraded database with over one million games, from 1625 to 2007; improved openings book; new training function to practice the calculation of variations, new section on the chess server with tactical puzzle solving competitions; "the magic eye" which scans the 3D board, making the search visible for the user.

Selling for about 50 bucks. I think it's worth 50 bucks just to get the "magic eye." I recall cursing that stupid turk for a year, now they have a magic eye. I don't even use the annoying 3d sets where you can't see pawns behind pieces and causes my cheap computer to crash constantly. But the "magic eye" is on my wish list for Christmas, definitely.
  7. Joined
    19 Jun '06
    Moves
    05 Nov '07 03:14
    Originally posted by chesskid001
    Fritz 10 just came out last october! This is ridiculous how quickly they jump to a new version
    Well, the Christmas shopping season comes 'round once a year. Chessbase is nothing if not good marketers. 😉
  8. Joined
    19 Nov '05
    Moves
    05 Nov '07 07:20
    They release a new version every year. For engine development, that's not so fast. Some software like Britannica, Encarta and World Book is also updated yearly and I'm sure the improvements and addition of new information is very modest. If nothing else, at least consider that you get another year for playchess.com.
  9. Account suspended
    Moves
    05 Nov '07 13:09
    Originally posted by HurricaneConway125
    HOW? How did you beat Fritz 9 at full strength? What time setting? Did you use the hint mode? Take back moves? HOW could you beat Fritz with your rating?
    I loaned Fritz to a high school student who came back claiming he'd beaten it only to find out he did all of the above and basically let the program play itself.
  10. Account suspended
    Moves
    05 Nov '07 14:511 edit
    Originally posted by Sam The Sham
    HOW? How did you beat Fritz 9 at full strength? What time setting? Did you use the hint mode? Take back moves? HOW could you beat Fritz with your rating?
    I loaned Fritz to a high school student who came back claiming he'd beaten it only to find out he did all of the above and basically let the program play itself.
    he's just lying. (or having fun.)
  11. Account suspended
    Moves
    08 Nov '07 02:33
    Originally posted by diskamyl
    he's just lying. (or having fun.)
    careful about saying that...

I've beaten engines of that strength (claimed strength anyways) several times. They tend to blunder in certain positions.. if you keep it equal you can get one just before the endgame often.

The other possiblity is a processor glitch... I think that has happened to me at least once (as seen in another thread 😛...).
  12. Joined
    15 Jun '06
    Moves
    08 Nov '07 02:39
    Originally posted by ih8sens
    careful about saying that...

I've beaten engines of that strength (claimed strength anyways) several times. They tend to blunder in certain positions.. if you keep it equal you can get one just before the endgame often.

The other possiblity is a processor glitch... I think that has happened to me at least once (as seen in another thread 😛...).
    the engine I have always blunders the opening.
  13. Standard memberchessisvanity
    THE BISHOP GOD
    Account suspended
    Moves
    08 Nov '07 03:161 edit
    thats no joke.....i have the Grandmaster Sensor Board...

it sells at uscfsales for like 300 bucks.....excaliber makes it...

one night i played the Nimzowitch defense....1.e4...Nc6...

I won and it gave me a rating of 2100.....I chugged sambuca(liccorice tasting liquor)...I thought it was my time for chess glory....

I puked pink stuff for 2 days...

never came close to beating it again....sometimes these computers make weird ass moves...
  14. Standard memberchessisvanity
    THE BISHOP GOD
    Account suspended
    Moves
    08 Nov '07 03:17
    The sensor Board is a real chess set where it can tell what peice you moved and it tells you what peice to move for the computer etc etc....

pretty cool but way too strong!!
  15. Standard memberChipotle
    Pawn Grubber
    a2-g8 diagonal
    Moves
    08 Nov '07 03:48
    Originally posted by tomtom232
    the engine I have always blunders the opening.
    Then you aren't using a good opening DB.

If someone is beating Fritz 9, either the settings are hobbling the program (lots of ways to do this - screw with the evaluations, give it a crappy opening DB, etc.), or they are at the top of the list to annotate games in 'New in Chess'. Otherwise, I ain't buying it. Sorry. Beating Fritz 9 at full strength isn't something mere mortals do - I'd probably bet on Fritz v. Carlsen at 15.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree