From a 1375 rated player?

From a 1375 rated player?

Only Chess

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

g

Moves
05 Aug 08
1 edit

Originally posted by UzumakiAi
The Bird's opening is stupid anyway.
Tell that to IM Tim Taylor, who has been playing it successfully against strong opponents for over thirty years. Is the Dutch Defense (1 d4 f5) also "stupid?" The Bird's Opening is often a Reversed Dutch Defense (according to databases, 1...d5 is the most common response to 1 f4). As an earlier poster suggested, the From's Gambit (1 f4 e5) isn't a threat to the health and well-being of the Bird Opening these days. Please show us how Black can gain a forced advantage in the opening after 1 f4.

K

Hollow earth

Moves
06 Aug 08
1 edit

Originally posted by gaychessplayer
Tell that to IM Tim Taylor, who has been playing it successfully against strong opponents for over thirty years. Is the Dutch Defense (1 d4 f5) also "stupid?" The Bird's Opening is often a Reversed Dutch Defense (according to databases, 1...d5 is the most common response to 1 f4). As an earlier poster suggested, the From's Gambit (1 f4 e5) isn't a ...[text shortened]... hese days. Please show us how Black can gain a forced advantage in the opening after 1 f4.
1.f4!? (controls the very important e5 square),d5! (Black wastes no time to challenge control over this important square.This is thought to be the strongest response.) 2.g4! (more than a century of trial and error has shown there is no better way to counter black's powerfull central thrust than with this counterattack on the flank),Qh4# (and finally Black gains a large advantage!Due to this extensively analysed line the Bird's is rarely seen at master level and is mostly used by players who'd rather sit at the bar than at the board.)

PS: in case it was not completely clear; I was joking!In all seriousness I think the Bird's is very much ok.