1. Joined
    14 Jul '06
    Moves
    05 Aug '08 09:371 edit
    Originally posted by amolv06
    I'm not insinuating anything...please don't take it that way. I just find this really surprising from a player rated in the 1300s: Game 5229133
    Everyone makes mistakes, don't they?
  2. Hollow earth
    Moves
    05 Aug '08 10:05
    Originally posted by Fat Lady
    This is actually remarkably common. Here is the most successful example ever seen on this site:
    User 285560
    I almost fell off my chair seeing that one!Brilliant! 😵
    That must've taken him a lot of work 🙄
  3. Joined
    03 Apr '06
    Moves
    05 Aug '08 10:31
    I'd like to know if there was some more devious plan to his moves. What was he thinking that made him overlook the fool's mate?
    Troppo says: it was "deliberate", not that he wanted to be mated, but I wanted to experiment with the different mates.

http://tinyurl.com/65x339
  4. Big D
    Moves
    05 Aug '08 14:56
    I'm not insinuating anything...please don't take it that way. I just find this really surprising from a player rated in the 1300s: Game 5229133
    White deserved to get beat playing g4 on his second move, which violates all opening principles.
  5. Joined
    21 Feb '06
    Moves
    05 Aug '08 15:051 edit
    Originally posted by der schwarze Ritter
    White deserved to get beat playing g4 on his second move, which violates all opening principles.
    Quite right. By delaying g4 until his second move, rather than playing the superior 1.g4! White deserved to lose horribly.
  6. Standard memberwormwood
    If Theres Hell Below
    We're All Gonna Go!
    Moves
    05 Aug '08 15:231 edit
    Originally posted by Katastroof
    I almost fell off my chair seeing that one!Brilliant! 😵
    That must've taken him a lot of work 🙄
    not really, just a couple of dummy accounts resigning to each other. the first batch gets to 1600 by 'winning' the 1200 accounts, the next batch gets to 2000 'winning' the 1600s and so on...
  7. Standard memberwormwood
    If Theres Hell Below
    We're All Gonna Go!
    Moves
    05 Aug '08 15:25
    Originally posted by Fat Lady
    Quite right. By delaying g4 until his second move, rather than playing the superior 1.g4! White deserved to lose horribly.
    hahah, I was just about to say something like that. 🙂
  8. Joined
    16 Jul '08
    Moves
    05 Aug '08 15:3812 edits
    That said, I'd like to know if there was some more devious plan to his moves. What was he thinking that made him overlook the fool's mate?
    First as "HfrMine antiperso" said, this was deliberate,
    I hadn't played chess for ages until this one, and wanted to try basic mates and see reactions of regular players to such basic situations in order to start it off again.

I also tried this very "opening" in my second game Game 5229174 but my opponent failed to take advantage of it, so as you can see it if you look up the following moves, I then let him have my queen deliberately - but he in turn made a silly move too so I could have his queen back only 3 moves later

(me white)

so goes chess playing ....

From these first two lets say "experimental" games on, I 've been playing normally so a rating around 1300 must match my actual chess level, although I've only been playing weaker players so far (under 1200 for most) 🙂

And don't worry I won't feel humiliated by your commenting my games even the silliest 😀

Edit: phew hard time inserting boards 😀
  9. St. Paul, Minnesota
    Moves
    05 Aug '08 16:20
    Originally posted by Troppo
    First as "HfrMine antiperso" said, this was deliberate,
    I hadn't played chess for ages until this one, and wanted to try basic mates and see reactions of regular players to such basic situations in order to start it off again.

I also tried this very "opening" in my second game Game 5229174 but my opponent failed to take advantage of it, so as you c ...[text shortened]... bP/1PN1P3/P1PP4/R1B1K1NR w KQkq -[/fen]

Edit: phew hard time inserting boards 😀
    An 1100 player failing to take advantage is a bit different than 1300 or better.

g4? Experimental is one way to put it. You're a strange one Troppo!
  10. Hollow earth
    Moves
    05 Aug '08 16:48
    Originally posted by wormwood
    not really, just a couple of dummy accounts resigning to each other. the first batch gets to 1600 by 'winning' the 1200 accounts, the next batch gets to 2000 'winning' the 1600s and so on...
    Well,I assume you need a separate email adress for each account?So making fake email adresses,then setting up all those accounts,matching them,making a move,resigning.That seems like a lot of work to me LOL
    And to what purpose?You can't even show that rating trying to fool anyone because it's so obvious fake.All you can do is say "Look everyone,I created a fake rating.Awesome,isn't it?" 😕
  11. Account suspended
    Moves
    05 Aug '08 16:50
    It's called the Fool's Mate, nothing new here.
  12. Standard memberwormwood
    If Theres Hell Below
    We're All Gonna Go!
    Moves
    05 Aug '08 16:59
    Originally posted by Katastroof
    Well,I assume you need a separate email adress for each account?So making fake email adresses,then setting up all those accounts,matching them,making a move,resigning.That seems like a lot of work to me LOL
    And to what purpose?You can't even show that rating trying to fool anyone because it's so obvious fake.All you can do is say "Look everyone,I created a fake rating.Awesome,isn't it?" 😕
    yeah, well, I haven't seen a cheater yet who was particularly bright. I've seen many who think they're pretty clever though. 🙂

it's sort of same like in real life bank robberies. the overwhelming majority of them get caught in a nearby bar, showing off the money and buying rounds for everyone.
  13. e4
    Moves
    05 Aug '08 19:422 edits
    Hi Troppo.

Thanks for making an old man very happy.
    As I said, I've given out a Fool's Mate.

I had this in a Blitz game a few weeks ago, just after our game infact.
    I'm Black.

Would like to see the whole of your game from the position you posted.

to PGN a game it works like this:

(pgn)1.f4 e5 2.fxe5 d6 3.exd6 Bxd6 4.Nc3 Qh4 5.g3 Qxg3(/pgn)

Change round brackets ( ) for square brackets [ ] and it should work.

Next time you want to see more mating patterns and test out
    an opening idea that look very unsound - I'm just a mouse click away.

EDITS: here I am given out advice on how to PGN a game
    and it took me two attempts to get mine working. Huh!
  14. San Francisco, CA US
    Moves
    05 Aug '08 23:11
    Must be something in the air. I just won a game in the same way (2 move mate).
  15. Joined
    30 Dec '07
    Moves
    05 Aug '08 23:32
    Originally posted by der schwarze Ritter
    Yeah, not many openings are normally steered toward a mate in 2. It might have made sense in another context. The Bird's opening is stupid anyway.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree