Originally posted by Mad Rook
    An RHP rating isn't real? 😲
    No, it isn't.

Go for it, Ivan, go for it!
  4. Standard memberivan2908
    SelfProclaimedTitler
    Moves
    25 Aug '08 15:14
    Didn't go before because of self confidence but I actually score almost 50 % against two of my 1800ish rated friends recently (in long games only but that is what I like the most and want to play the most) so I think there is nothing to be ashamed of in the club. I can wait to play my first official 90m +30s game 🙂
  5. São Paulo, Brazil
    Moves
    26 Aug '08 04:06
    Have fun! 🙂

You can play online blitz, correspondence chess and friendly games all you want: nothing matches the thrill and the competitiveness of an OTB tournament game. To me, that's definitely the best chess experience you can have. I feel that's the way the game was meant to be played.
  6. St. Paul, Minnesota
    Moves
    26 Aug '08 04:56
    Good for you Ivan. I just had my first competitive OTB play tonight since I was 13 yo (over 20 years ago). Got spanked. I expected to as I know most people at this particular event are 1700+. Further, the games were 30 min. with 5 sec delay. That is a bit brisk for me against competition well above my punching weight!

Anyway, good fun and internet does pale in comparison to OTB. I'm looking forward to my next spanking! ... erm...that didn't come out right. I mean, I um, nevermind.
  7. Joined
    19 Nov '05
    Moves
    26 Aug '08 05:211 edit
    An RHP rating isn't real? 😲
    No online rating is "real" in the sense that it matters in the chess world. However, this is not to say that online chess does not have its place. Good luck Ivan!

BTW: There is no need to wait until you're good to play OTB since it's for all levels of play. I've even played against a player rated 603.
  8. São Paulo, Brazil
    Moves
    26 Aug '08 10:461 edit
    I think the main reason online ratings are "unreal", or at least inaccurate, is the fact that most of the time you are allowed to choose your opponents.
  9. Joined
    19 Jun '06
    Moves
    26 Aug '08 10:47
    Originally posted by exigentsky
    No online rating is "real" in the sense that it matters in the chess world. However, this is not to say that online chess does not have its place. Good luck Ivan!

BTW: There is no need to wait until you're good to play OTB since it's for all levels of play. I've even played against a player rated 603.
    OK, now that's TWO people who've beaten me up over my comment. I guess not everybody gets my sense of humor. Sigh... 😕
  10. Sigulda, Latvia
    Moves
    26 Aug '08 10:47
    BTW: There is no need to wait until you're good to play OTB since it's for all levels of play.
    Definitely true. My first OTB experience was after I had played chess for 6 months on the internet. There was a weekend I had nothing to do, so I looked up a tournament in the local tournament schedule. I got 5/8 (in a group of players without any grade/rating), 5th place and so I had swallowed the hook. After a year, my national OTB rating was 1950 and I realized that I have found yet another hobby.
  11. Joined
    19 Nov '05
    Moves
    26 Aug '08 22:181 edit
    OK, now that's TWO people who've beaten me up over my comment. I guess not everybody gets my sense of humor. Sigh... 😕
    [deleted and merged]
  12. Joined
    19 Nov '05
    Moves
    26 Aug '08 22:594 edits
    Originally posted by Heroic Metool
    I think the main reason online ratings are "unreal", or at least inaccurate, is the fact that most of the time you are allowed to choose your opponents.
    Well, there are many more reasons and here are a few I just brainstormed:

- one can choose opponent, color, time control, rating range, interface and abort after first few moves if undesirable opening
    - timezones differ and so you may be playing some insomniac at 4:00 am in his German underwear while you're fully alert at 10:00 am
    - computer problems like lag, disconnections and mouse slips change some results
    - the environment is not the same and one may be in a quiet room conducive to concentration while another might be in a busy Starbucks or in a position where the game must be put on hold due to family or business
    - most online chess is blitz and is thus inherently not serious chess so many play it when not feeling well, to the point of excess or in an otherwise poor form
    - performance is often not the goal in online chess but instead it is to refine openings, get a vast experience with different positions, try new ideas, and just have fun (online chess is the homework and OTB chess as the test)
    - opponent cannot be seen and may be using books (allowed on many sites), having another player play instead or using an engine
    - rating systems differ and are not comparable at uChess, Yahoo! Chess, ICC, Pogo, FICS, Playchess.com, instantchess.com, chess.com, redhotpawn.com, etc.
    - there are definitely no possibilities for a chess title based on online performance and ratings are not officially recognized
    - OTB is chess strength while online chess only correlates (kind of like how well you rally in practice tennis matches will correlate with your skill and performance in tournaments but only the performance in tournaments defines your skill)
    - playing regularly in OTB tournaments costs much more than online chess (attracting more ambitious players) and the fact that tournaments actually have prizes contributes to the competitiveness

BTW: Mad Rook I didn't mean to beat you up over it, I just wanted to comment.
  13. Joined
    19 Jun '06
    Moves
    26 Aug '08 23:41
    BTW: Mad Rook I didn't mean to beat you up over it, I just wanted to comment.
    No problemo! Good to know you aren't the bullying kind. But if any of you others still want to bully me, go ahead, I don't care - 'cause I've got pretty thick skin! 😛 (Okay, maybe not quite as thick as greenpawn's, nothing bothers him 😀 )

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree