1. Account suspended
    Moves
    20 Nov '07 18:202 edits
    Game 4262472

1. e4 – {In the unlikely event of chess actually being ‘solved’, I am nearly certain that this will be the opening move in a perfect game of chess.}
    1. … e5 – {My preferred response to e4.}
    2. Nf3 – {The best move with the possible exception of f4 in this position.}
    2. … Nc6 – {No surprise. Black replies to the white development logically.}
    3. Bc4 – {The Italian opening. One of the most heavily analyzed lines in all of chess.}
    3. … Nf6!? – {White can now win a pawn or a ton of tempo with Ng5, although black gets some compensation in terms of an attack.}
    4. Ng5 – {d3 can also be played here although Ng5 is best.}
    4. … Bc5!? – {Probably the sharpest line in chess. It is called by two names: The Traxler Gambit, and the Wilkes-Barre Counterattack.}
    5. Nxf7!? – {At the GM level Bxf7+ is almost always played. Nxf7 is very sharp and is, in my opinion, advantageous for black.}
    5. … Bxf2+! – {If you are going to play this line, you must know this move. Otherwise black is down a rook with no compensation.}
    6. Kf1! – {Kxf2? Ruins white’s chances for a win and often loses.}
    6. … Qe7 – {Probably the quietest move you’ll see black play all game.}
    7. Nxh8 – {I’m still trying to find a better move for white here in my personal analysis although at this point I’m sure white is safe to take the rook.}
    7. … d5 – {Still following a well known Traxler line.}
    8. exd5 – {Not Bxd5? Due to Bg4! Winning the white queen.}
    8. … Nd4 – {Adding a little more pressure to white. The logical move here.}
    9. c3? – {Yes, it is mainline but it is wrong. d6 is better here. Although it is too complicated to say for certain, c3 is usually winning for black, sometimes drawing, and never winning for white with accurate play.}
    9. … Bg4! – {White has but one move, a move once deemed to be accurate due to a gain in ‘tempo’ from the check. This previous analysis was far too hypothetical to be accurate in such a tactical line.}
    10. Qa4+ - {White’s only move. At this point black is pretty much safe.}
    10. … Nd7! – {Opening up a nice spot for the black queen.}
    11. Kxf2 – {I don’t see why not. This move will receive more analysis by myself in the future.}
    11. … Qh4+! – {Black can now draw the game on will it seems.}
    12. g3 – {What else?}
    12. … Qf6+ - {Again, a very logical move, continuing to strangle to white king.}
    13. Ke1! – {All other moves lead to mate very quickly.}
    13. … Qf5!! – {Nf3+ is the move fritz finds, and is also the ‘mainline’ if such a rarely played line could have such a thing. Nf3+ draws however. This move wins, as black is now able to demonstrate.}
    14. cxd4 – {This was probably a hard decision for white but I’m sure it was the best move.}
    14. … Qe4+ - {Again challenging the white king and carrying him closer and closer to defeat.}
    15. Kf2 – {All other moves lead to mate very quickly, this one wasn’t too hard for either of us to find.}
    15. … Qf3+ - {It was here that I became convinced of the black win. White has all but run out of options.}
    16. Ke1 – {Only safe move.}
    16. … Qxh1 – {Black could have drawn with Qe4 but decided to play for the win that I had already claimed I had to my opponent.}
    17. Bf1 – {Seems to be best.}
    17. … Qxh2! – {Threatening mate with Qxg3. White has only one move here, and it’s a real hard one to find.}
    18. d3! – {He found it. A good move that finally allows white to begin developing pieces, albeit for defensive reasons.}
    18. … 0-0-0! – {Getting the rook into play.}
    19. Nc3! – {All other moves seem to lead to mate.}
    19. … Qxg3+ - {Nothing fancy here, this seems to be the only move.}
    20. Kd2 – {Forced.}
    20. … Nb6!? – {Qf2 looked more straightforward. I think this move is better though.}
    21. Qa5 – {Hard to annotate this move. If a stronger player has a nice, objective opinion on this move I’d love to hear it.}
    21. … Qf2 – {Looks like the only logical move.}
    22. Be2 – {Only move.}
    22. … exd4! – {Not much left for white in the game now.}
    23. d6 – {Not helping.}
    23. … Rxd6? – {I took a while to convince myself this move was best. Just being safe I guess. Turns out dxc3 was probably better.}
    24. Kd1 – {Missed this move. As my opponent so nicely put it it’s the ‘light at the end of the tunnel’.}
    24. … Qf1 – {Time to simplify and take what I can. There’s no mate here.}
    25. Kc2 – {Kd2 would have been ridiculous. There was no question about move here.}
    25. … Bxe2 – {Simplifying}
    26. Nxe2 – {Duh.}
    26. … Qxe2+ - {Finally a few easy moves. }
    27. Qd2 – {Blocking the check.}
    27. … Qe8 – {Preparing to snatch up the hanging material. I was disappointed that I couldn’t find a mid-game mate here but a win is a win is a win, right?}

28-43 – Not much left in the game, I haven’t really analyzed it being as my opponent had already talked about resigning.

I must thank Mad Mac MacMad for playing this game against me. He is the first person on this site to challenge me to a rated game in this opening. He played better than I’ve ever seen white play in this line. As if to make a good game even better, he then joined my clan! You’re my hero MacMad!

This game has done a lot to convince me (and Mac) that the Traxler is sound. If you have any questions or comments please post them, I’m really interested in this opening.
  2. Joined
    02 Apr '07
    Moves
    20 Nov '07 18:38
    Originally posted by ih8sens
    Game 4262472

1. e4 – In the unlikely event of chess actually being ‘solved’, I am nearly certain that this will be the opening move in a perfect game of chess.
    And if "draw" is the "solution"?
  3. Account suspended
    Moves
    20 Nov '07 18:411 edit
    Originally posted by Mark Adkins
    And if "draw" is the "solution"?
    Then d3 will be better than Ng5 😛.

Just theorizing. I'm hardly in a position to make a claim about 1, and only 1 opening after a year of study... I can't imagine ever being able to say with authority that e4 should be played first.

edit - lol if move 1 is gonna be bashed I can't wait till we get into the meat of the game 😀
  4. Standard memberadam warlock
    Baby Gauss
    Ceres
    Moves
    20 Nov '07 18:45
    Game 4262472

1. e4 – In the unlikely event of chess actually being ‘solved’, I am nearly certain that this will be the opening move in a perfect game of chess.
    1. … e5 – My preferred response to e4.
    2. Nf3 – The best move with the possible exception of f4 in this position.
    2. … Nc6 – No surprise. Black replies to the white development logically. ...[text shortened]... If you have any questions or comments please post them, I’m really interested in this opening.
    Put the comments on curly brackets. That way we can follow the games and the annotations.
  5. Account suspended
    Moves
    20 Nov '07 19:26
    Originally posted by adam warlock
    Put the comments on curly brackets. That way we can follow the games and the annotations.
    That help any?
  6. Account suspended
    Moves
    20 Nov '07 19:32
    Game 4262472

9. c3? – {Yes, it is mainline but it is wrong. d6 is better here. Although it is too complicated to say for certain, c3 is usually winning for black, sometimes drawing, and never winning for white with accurate play.}
    9. … Bg4! – {White has but one move, a move once deemed to be accurate due to a gain in ‘tempo’ from the check. Th ...[text shortened]... point black is pretty much safe.}
    10. … Nd7! – {Opening up a nice spot for the black queen.}
    Couldn't White have transposed into the main line with

10.d6 cxd6
    11. Qa4+ Nd7
    12. Nf7 Qf6 Or Bh4 ?
  7. Standard memberadam warlock
    Baby Gauss
    Ceres
    Moves
    20 Nov '07 19:34
    That help any?
    I think so. My visualization skill are null so if I can see the moves and see what you wrote it would be nice.
  8. Account suspended
    Moves
    20 Nov '07 19:341 edit
    Originally posted by Sepia Tint
    Couldn't White have transposed into the main line with

10.d6 cxd6
    11. Qa4+ Nd7
    12. Nf7 Qf6 Or Bh4 ?
    10. d6?, Qd7! and white has no hope...

Unless I'm missing something.
  9. Account suspended
    Moves
    20 Nov '07 19:35
    Originally posted by adam warlock
    I think so. My visualization skill are null so if I can see the moves and see what you wrote it would be nice.
    I just tried copying it into fritz and fritz only shows the moves, not the comments.

Not sure what to do about that... I'm pretty new to full annotations of games.
  10. Joined
    02 Apr '07
    Moves
    20 Nov '07 19:38
    Then d3 will be better than Ng5 😛.

Just theorizing. I'm hardly in a position to make a claim about 1, and only 1 opening after a year of study... I can't imagine ever being able to say with authority that e4 should be played first.

edit - lol if move 1 is gonna be bashed I can't wait till we get into the meat of the game 😀
    I'm not bashing 1.e4. I'm simply of the opinion that "chess is a draw" makes the game much more flexible and interesting than either of the alternative premises.
  11. Standard memberadam warlock
    Baby Gauss
    Ceres
    Moves
    20 Nov '07 19:41
    I just tried copying it into fritz and fritz only shows the moves, not the comments.

Not sure what to do about that... I'm pretty new to full annotations of games.
    I use BabasChess. You can open pgn files and insert your comments there and variations too. 🙂
    Other way to do it is if you put you comments between these brackets { }. That way we can see both comments and moves that only thing is the time it takes to do this. But try it out with BabasChess
  12. Account suspended
    Moves
    20 Nov '07 19:45
    10. d6?, Qd7! and white has no hope...

Unless I'm missing something.
    Is 11.Kxf2 then playable?
  13. Account suspended
    Moves
    20 Nov '07 19:49
    Originally posted by Sepia Tint
    Is 11.Kxf2 then playable?
    Very interesting...

lets see. 10. d6, Qd7 11. Kxf2, Qf5+ 12. Ke1, Nc2+ 13. Qxc2, Qxc2 and black can draw on will and looks to be winning. An interesting option though.
  14. Joined
    05 Apr '04
    Moves
    20 Nov '07 19:561 edit

I didn't see d6 here, I considered d3, but that lead to a queen sacrifice with no real change in balck's attacking position, which in this position I thought it better to try and keep my queen. Maybe the wrong move

11. Kxf2 – {I don’t see why not. This move will receive more analysis by myself in the future.}

Slightly risky, at this point all black had to do was remove my bishop and with this one in the way it was mate with Be2++

13. … Qf5!! – {Nf3+ is the move fritz finds, and is also the ‘mainline’ if such a rarely played line could have such a thing. Nf3+ draws however. This move wins, as black is now able to demonstrate.}

Yep, definately the winning line Nf3+ is perpetual at best for black

14. cxd4 – {This was probably a hard decision for white but I’m sure it was the best move.}

Every line I looked at the knight caused problems - it looked a relatively decent move

18. … 0-0-0! – {Getting the rook into play.}

I would have played this earlier personally

21. Qa5 – {Hard to annotate this move. If a stronger player has a nice, objective opinion on this move I’d love to hear it.}
    23. d6 – {Not helping.}

Logic being, I could see exd4, so by playing d6 I could get my queen over the other side of the board to defend later in the game - Qb3 looked limited
  15. Account suspended
    Moves
    20 Nov '07 20:04
    Thanks for your comments especially on d6. That was the one move that confused me throughout the game.. so I guess I can't be too hard on it 😛.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree