1. Et in Arcadia ego...
    Moves
    16 Oct '06 12:17
    This was in General, but then I thought the serious chess fiends read here, so I'll ask again, if you don't mind:

What's the best way to gamble pn chess.

After a lengthy poker session which went on all night yesterday, four lads remained...

and two got out the backgammon and two the chess board. My mate suggested a similar gambling element:

every time you put your opponent in +, he has the choice of conceding the game and paying the agreed price, or doubling up the price and playing on.

So you can start low at 10/20/40 cents... (we used 40... and then the money gets big quickly, but it does also change basic strategic elements in the game.

Any ideas on the best way to gamble on chess?
  2. Joined
    11 Jun '06
    Moves
    16 Oct '06 14:10
    Originally posted by sjeg
    This was in General, but then I thought the serious chess fiends read here, so I'll ask again, if you don't mind:

After a lengthy poker session which went on all night yesterday, four lads remained...

and two got out the backgammon and two the chess board. My mate suggested a similar gambling element:

every t ...[text shortened]... change basic strategic elements in the game.

a few bucks a game with no more than 10 min per game.
    or simply a long game for more money.
  3. Standard memberGrandmouster
    ChessObsessed
    Earth
    Moves
    16 Oct '06 15:521 edit
    Originally posted by sjeg

every t ...[text shortened]... change basic strategic elements in the game.

The only way I know, is to give odds.
    Many stronger players will give all kinds of odds, including time odds
    (when using a chess clock) Piece odds, or even "pick the square you want to get mated on".
    This involves one person (the weaker player) choosing the square for the stronger player to mate them on.
    Another way is 3-checks.
    You put up money before the game. and the first one to give 3 checks wins.
    So of course normal strategies are thrown out, and material considerations are gone.
    Just throw all your pieces to the wind, and give 3 checks as fast as you can.
    Great fun....😀
  4. Seattle
    Moves
    16 Oct '06 23:27
    or: say 10 dollars a game. After collecting the money set time for 1 hour each and serve beer. Finish the game and insist you were never playing for money.
  5. Standard memberDragon Fire
    Lord of all beasts
    searching for truth
    Moves
    16 Oct '06 23:42
    Don't worry to much about the money. A notional sum but each piece is a shot of alcohol - the more important the piece the stronger the alcohol. When you take it you drink it. Winner takes all.

Great fun as whoever starts out winning finds their play gets worse......
  6. Argentina
    Moves
    16 Oct '06 23:53
    IMHO, to play chess for money is to denigrate the very essence of the game.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree