Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Only Chess Forum

Only Chess Forum

  1. 20 Jul '06 09:26
    so say you are playing a regular game with a 90 minute time control and your opponent has a winning position and he is going to mate you and you have an pawn do you recieve the win because you have sufficant matieral to mate? sorry bad speller.
  2. Standard member Dragon Fire
    Lord of all beasts
    20 Jul '06 09:29 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by kmac27
    so say you are playing a regular game with a 90 minute time control and your opponent has a winning position and he is going to mate you and you have an pawn do you recieve the win because you have sufficant matieral to mate? sorry bad speller.
    On time? If his hand falls then yes as you have mating material!
  3. 20 Jul '06 11:21
    Yup,time's up you win
  4. 20 Jul '06 13:08 / 1 edit
    there are provisions to make sure you can't win on time. If a player is winning (or for that matter if he feels the game is a dead draw.) but is running out of time he can ask the arbiter to declare the game drawn (he may not ask for a win). The arbiter may either
    A. declare the game drawn if it is clearly a draw or a win for the requesting player.
    e.g. black may request a draw

    B. add a delay to the time controls. (a delay is a set amount of time that is renewed each move but anything left does not carry over. A players clock only starts to run down after the delay has expired. usually 2-5 seconds.)
    C.give the requesting player a set amount of time per move in which he must prove he has a draw. (i.e. 10 sec per move)
    D.decline the request if he feels the position does not merit intervention

    method C is usually the most popular among players for obvious reasons.
  5. Standard member Dragon Fire
    Lord of all beasts
    20 Jul '06 13:16
    Originally posted by aginis
    there are provisions to make sure you can't win on time. If a player is winning (or for that matter if he feels the game is a dead draw.) but is running out of time he can ask the arbiter to declare the game drawn (he may not ask for a win). The arbiter may either
    A. declare the game drawn if it is clearly a draw or a win for the requesting player.
    e.g. bl ...[text shortened]... t merit intervention

    method C is usually the most popular among players for obvious reasons.
    Maybe but black can win this on time

  6. 20 Jul '06 13:20 / 1 edit
    Referring to Agonis board...

    In this position white can win. Black cannot win other than on time out.
    White hopes for a win and black hopes for a draw.
    Time is soon out for white.
    What will black do?
  7. 21 Jul '06 02:31
    Don't forget that one side can claim "insufficent losing chances" if he has less than 2 minutes. Insufficent losing chances states that in the current position, if the player claiming insufficient losing chances were a Class C player and the other player were a master, the class c player would be able to draw it or win it. The game then ends in a draw.

    In essence, if the position is easily won or drawn, and you have less than 2 minutes left, you can claim insufficient losing chances.
  8. 21 Jul '06 11:36
    Originally posted by FabianFnas
    Referring to Agonis board...

    In this position white can win. Black cannot win other than on time out.
    White hopes for a win and black hopes for a draw.
    Time is soon out for white.
    What will black do?
    I'm sorry, but this is a very well known drawn position. Black can just move his King to and fro between g7 and h8, and because the White Bishop can never cover either of these squares, he cannot drive the Black King out of the corner, and so cannot force a win. The best he can achieve is a stalemate.