1. Happy village
    Moves
    13 Jun '07 11:03
    Here I play very seriously from last four or five games, with strong opponents, to learn from my mistakes.

It is always advisable to play against strong opponents which is doing good for your improvement. But playing against weaker opponents (200-300 points below your own) is maybe good too, because positions which you reach in that way can be similar to those in tactics puzzle book, with lot of space and possibilites for beautifull combination attacks.

So what I want to say, for example, if I play here 1600-1700 tough opponents here to improve, I could do an extra account on other chess site like gameknot to play against somewhat weaker opponents and exploiting their tactical and positionals mistakes for sharping my combination sight.

What do you think, can this be helpfull?
  2. Hainesport, NJ, USA
    Moves
    13 Jun '07 12:33
    Become a subscriber, then you won't have to switch back and forth.
  3. Standard memberwormwood
    If Theres Hell Below
    We're All Gonna Go!
    Moves
    13 Jun '07 12:50
    Originally posted by wakchessdragon
    Here I play very seriously from last four or five games, with strong opponents, to learn from my mistakes.

It is always advisable to play against strong opponents which is doing good for your improvement. But playing against weaker opponents (200-300 points below your own) is maybe good too, because positions which you reach in that way can be sim ...[text shortened]... tionals mistakes for sharping my combination sight.

What do you think, can this be helpfull?
    if you want tactics, do tactical puzzles. games are just too inefficient way to train them.

I don't really see how you benefit from playing against low rated opponents. if you can't stommach getting beaten by the higher rated, then okay, I see the point. but firstly, you don't learn much from winning a game. and secondly, you learn even less playing against lower rated opponents.

the way I see it, it's a lose-lose situation improvement wise. but for casual playing it's fine of course.
  4. Standard memberWulebgr
    Angler
    River City
    Moves
    13 Jun '07 13:23
    Post your idea in the GK forums, too. Then you'll learn something by observing the response.
  5. Joined
    30 Oct '05
    Moves
    13 Jun '07 19:32
    Originally posted by Wulebgr
    Post your idea in the GK forums, too. Then you'll learn something by observing the response.
    Damn the cryptic nature of this post!

*Sigh* What will he learn?
  6. Standard memberivan2908
    SelfProclaimedTitler
    Moves
    13 Jun '07 20:191 edit
    Originally posted by Ramiri15

Yep. It should be in posers and puzzles 🙂
  7. Happy village
    Moves
    13 Jun '07 20:231 edit
    Originally posted by wormwood
    if you want tactics, do tactical puzzles. games are just too inefficient way to train them.

I don't really see how you benefit from playing against low rated opponents. if you can't stommach getting beaten by the higher rated, then okay, I see the point. but firstly, you don't learn much from winning a game. and secondly, you learn even less playing agai ...[text shortened]... t, it's a lose-lose situation improvement wise. but for casual playing it's fine of course.
    I wanted to say, if I play at, for example 1650 level and my opponent at 1350 he is obviouslly weaker and very, very often position and moves he makes can lead to nice 3, 4, 5 move combinations, exploiting of pins, smothered mates, etc.

OF COURSE it is obvious that accent has to be on playing stronger opponents. Personally I like to play with opponents 100-200 points stronger than me.

But maybe would be nice to play that kind of games to exploit every single mistake that weaker opponents makes...
  8. Standard memberwormwood
    If Theres Hell Below
    We're All Gonna Go!
    Moves
    13 Jun '07 20:51
    I wanted to say, if I play at, for example 1650 level and my opponent at 1350 he is obviouslly weaker and very, very often position and moves he makes can lead to nice 3, 4, 5 move combinations, exploiting of pins, smothered mates, etc.

OF COURSE it is obvious that accent has to be on playing stronger opponents. Personally I like to play with oppon ...[text shortened]... e nice to play that kind of games to exploit every single mistake that weaker opponents makes...
    1350's don't make 3-move blunders, they make 1-move blunders multiple times in every game. catching those is like shooting fish in a barrel, it's not tactical training. the 1-move blunders decide the games up to 1500-1600. in my experience, the deciding 3-move blunders seem to come at 1800+, and even then they're rare. the 1350's practically never look 6 half-moves ahead.

you can easily do 200 tactical puzzles every day. think about how many games you need to play to get 200 3-movers that are not masked by the existence of 1-move blunders. it's taken me 2 years to play 250 games. it would be a mindnumbingly inefficient way to train tactics.
  9. Standard memberwormwood
    If Theres Hell Below
    We're All Gonna Go!
    Moves
    13 Jun '07 20:54

that he'd probably be banned immediately for discussing rhp on gk.
  10. Happy village
    Moves
    13 Jun '07 21:01
    Really? They're that severe? I never liked this site anyway.
  11. Happy village
    Moves
    13 Jun '07 21:06
    1350's don't make 3-move blunders, they make 1-move blunders multiple times in every game. catching those is like shooting fish in a barrel, it's not tactical training. the 1-move blunders decide the games up to 1500-1600. in my experience, the deciding 3-move blunders seem to come at 1800+, and even then they're rare. the 1350's practically never look 6 ha ...[text shortened]... e 2 years to play 250 games. it would be a mindnumbingly inefficient way to train tactics.
    I don't know if it's because you expressed your thought very eloquently and with good arguments or what but you convinced me almost 100 percent... I will stick to my puzzles then 🙂
  12. Standard memberwormwood
    If Theres Hell Below
    We're All Gonna Go!
    Moves
    13 Jun '07 21:36
    I don't know if it's because you expressed your thought very eloquently and with good arguments or what but you convinced me almost 100 percent... I will stick to my puzzles then 🙂
    it was probably the fish. they are very persuasive.
  13. Joined
    30 Oct '05
    Moves
    14 Jun '07 02:17
    Really?
  14. Standard memberWulebgr
    Angler
    River City
    Moves
    14 Jun '07 12:42
    Really?
    There was another thread nearly two years back documenting such things. I'd dig it up for you except that I've grown weary of forum archeology.
  15. Joined
    30 Oct '05
    Moves
    14 Jun '07 23:14
    Originally posted by Wulebgr
    There was another thread nearly two years back documenting such things. I'd dig it up for you except that I've grown weary of forum archeology.
    I'll take you at your word, though I must admit that is pretty ridiculous.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree