1. Joined
    22 Jun '08
    Moves
    25 Jun '08 02:36
    I recently joined the Red Hot Pawn community and started playing a few games (including accepting some challenges). Since that time 3 of 5 games have been deleted by the opponent.

I receive an email with the message:
    "Any standard game that has not started, or has only just begun, may be deleted in this way."

This seems to be a bad practice. I would like the opinion of others on this subject as I am considering leaving the site and playing elsewhere. Thanks.

Brian
  2. Standard memberyosiman
    Genius
    playing chess
    Moves
    25 Jun '08 02:46
    If you join a tournament you won't have that problem.
  3. Joined
    22 Jun '08
    Moves
    25 Jun '08 02:48
    I would, but I need 20 completed games even though I am a paying customer.
  4. Joined
    07 Jan '08
    Moves
    25 Jun '08 02:49
    When I was provisionally rated I had some games deleted by the opponent. I didn't put much stock in it, just moved on to the next game. There may be any number of players looking to play against an exact opening or what-have-you, but I think the ability to delete a game within the first couple of moves is an important safeguard against mistakenly starting a game, for whatever reason.

You've only had five moves so it's probably just one of those things. You'll have very little problem getting games going, and sometimes you run into deletions, timeouts, and players who will squeeze every last drop of the timebank when they're losing. I've found that is outnumbered by the nice players I've run into, the nail-biting games, and the overall enjoyment I've had in playing here.
  5. Joined
    17 Feb '08
    Moves
    25 Jun '08 03:20
    Aye, personally I've deleted some games because my opponent was playing too slowly for my liking, and rather than tying up a game spot for me and the inevitable timeout I decided to delete. As a member you won't run into at least one of those problems, but it is a valid thing to do.
  6. Joined
    26 Jun '06
    Moves
    25 Jun '08 05:00
    Originally posted by albin1e4
    that should be only for rated tournaments, join a non-rated one, or join my club and ill hook you up with 3 tournaments
  7. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    25 Jun '08 05:28
    I recently joined the Red Hot Pawn community and started playing a few games (including accepting some challenges). Since that time 3 of 5 games have been deleted by the opponent.

I receive an email with the message:
    "Any standard game that has not started, or has only just begun, may be deleted in this way."

This seems to be a bad practice. I would ...[text shortened]... s on this subject as I am considering leaving the site and playing elsewhere. Thanks.

Brian
    Blitz out the first 3 moves, then go back to moving like a snail.

Most sites allow game deletion in the first move or two, and most players don't like playing provisionals. It's something you're going to have to live with until your rating gets established.
  8. Standard memberDragon Fire
    Lord of all beasts
    searching for truth
    Moves
    25 Jun '08 07:17
    Lots of players don't like playing p1200s as they could be 2000+ or 800- and you don't know what you are setting ourself up for.

Join a club and a clan, OTB Chess Players is a great one to consider, and get some clan challenges set up for you as these can't be deleted once accepted although there may still be a problem with clan leaders not wanting to accept games against p players.

I got over this problem by selecting fast moving players (generally unfotubnately weak) from the Player Table, starting 30-40 games and blitzing them out - got rid of the p rating in no time although I played a few @$#! games.
  9. Joined
    17 Apr '08
    Moves
    25 Jun '08 08:56
    Hi
    I think this option (deleting games) should be available, cause you may start a game by mistake or want to end because of a slow player or for any other reason.
  10. Standard membervaroadstter
    woodpusher
    Raleigh, NC USA
    Moves
    25 Jun '08 20:57
    According to your profile you are not a subscriber.

Even so, challenge me and we'll play a game.
  11. Joined
    22 Jun '08
    Moves
    25 Jun '08 22:21
    I was a subscriber, but I canceled the membership due to being annoyed with my initial experience on the site. The response from a number of players has been great and I intend to re-subscribe.

... although I still don't like the idea of deleting games

Brian
  12. Standard memberDragon Fire
    Lord of all beasts
    searching for truth
    Moves
    26 Jun '08 07:33
    I was a subscriber, but I canceled the membership due to being annoyed with my initial experience on the site. The response from a number of players has been great and I intend to re-subscribe.

Brian
    You cannot delete tournament games, clan games seige games and league games and once you subscribe these are all you will generally tend to play.

Also (as stated earlier) people don't like playing p1200s as they have no idea of your strength. Once your rating settles down, however, you will find this happens less but it is perhaps always polite to ask people 1st if they would like a game.
  13. Standard membervaroadstter
    woodpusher
    Raleigh, NC USA
    Moves
    26 Jun '08 14:071 edit

Brian
    I thought that might be the case (you unsubbed).

Honestly, let's get a game going. I'm sure there are plenty of people on these forums who would be happy to play.

Oh, I just remembered my threshold is on. Do you want me to challenge you? That will get you one game, anyway. Maybe we should do a white/black combo. That's 2 games for ya.
  14. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    26 Jun '08 14:39
    If someone challenge me and make the first move - I would really like to delete the game. Or else, I might find myself with numerous games I don't have time with.

Perhaps the conditions are wrong. I rarely want to play a 1/0 or 0/1 time game, neither a 21/21 game. I rarely want to play an unrated game. I rarely want to play with a person with 1000 rating points under his actual skill. etc etc.

So I'm quite happy that I have the opportunity to delete a game I don't want.
  15. Joined
    22 Jun '08
    Moves
    26 Jun '08 14:49
    Two things

1. I resubscribed due to the great response from other players on the site. Thanks again.

2. Challenges should have a button which says ACCEPT or DECLINE before the game begins. I understand that automatic acceptance of challenges could lead to an enormous game load. Nevertheless, I can live with the deleted games now that I know more background information.

Brian

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree