1. Joined
    05 Aug '06
    Moves
    24 Sep '07 07:19
    Has anyone else noticed what happens when you play this line in Games explorer?

1. e4 e5 2. Nf3 Nf6 3. d4 exd4 4. e5 Ne4

The white and black pawns in the center of the board have been switched over somehow.

I thought i was going crazy for a second.
  2. Joined
    13 Apr '06
    Moves
    24 Sep '07 09:191 edit
    Try moving the peices on an actual board, with that variation, and if the peices do the same thing there then you have just discovered a new rule in chess. That or you're a true nut job.

Edit. actually in all seroiusness iv heard someone say something similar about the games explorer, either its another bug or it hasn't been fixed yet. Send site feedback.
  3. Standard memberDragon Fire
    Lord of all beasts
    searching for truth
    Moves
    24 Sep '07 18:20
    Originally posted by Kiwi kid

The white and black pawns in the center of the board have been switched over somehow.

Certainly its true.

Copy this link into your browser and then play Ne4.

http://www.redhotpawn.com/gamesexplorer/index.php?movelist=e2e4e7e5g1f3g8f6d2d4e5d4e4e5&flip=0&co=-&u=-1&c=1400
  4. 127.0.0.1
    Moves
    24 Sep '07 18:22
    Originally posted by mazziewag
    Try moving the peices on an actual board, with that variation, and if the peices do the same thing there then you have just discovered a new rule in chess. That or you're a true nut job.

Edit. actually in all seroiusness iv heard someone say something similar about the games explorer, either its another bug or it hasn't been fixed yet. Send site feedback.
    I saw the problem along one line of the King's Gambit. I reported it quite awhile back and seem to recall that it got fixed. The explorer seems to be very low on the programmers priority list but it's probably worth reporting using the send feedback link at the bottom of every page.
  5. Standard memberHandyAndy
    Read a book!
    Moves
    24 Sep '07 18:591 edit
    Originally posted by Kiwi kid

Edit: I thought it would work by moving Ne4 manually.. but it's the same problem.
  6. Dublin
    Moves
    25 Sep '07 13:16
    I seem to remember this coming up before and problem was that whatever was reading the FEN wasn't case sensitive (so 'p' looks the same as 'P', etc.). I don't know if anything was ever done about it.
  7. Standard memberwittywonka
    Chocolate Expert
    Cocoa Mountains
    Moves
    26 Sep '07 13:12
    I sent feedback on this issue and got a "Yeah, we know about it. What's your point?" response.

Conditional moves are nice, but they don't improve your game... 😕

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree