1. Standard memberSteve45
    Mozart
    liverpool
    Moves
    25 Jul '12 10:27
    Hi friends. Just wondering if anyone knows what gary kasparov up to these days. Is he still active in his russian politics. And does he still play any competitive chess.
  2. Joined
    18 Jul '12
    Moves
    25 Jul '12 12:39
    According to Wikipedia, Kasparov played two blitz exhibition matches in the Fall of 2011. The first, in September against French grandmaster Maxime Vachier-Lagrave, in Clichy (France), which Kasparov won 1½-½. The second was a longer match consisting of eight blitz games played on 9 October, against English grandmaster Nigel Short. Kasparov won again by a score of 4½-3½.

On 31 January 2012 he hosted a meeting of opposition leaders planning a mass march on 4 February 2012, the third major opposition rally held since the disputed State Duma elections of December 2011.
  3. Standard memberSteve45
    Mozart
    liverpool
    Moves
    25 Jul '12 13:18
    Thanks. Would love to see a kasparov verses anand world championship match for old time sake. My money would still be on the old champ.
  4. Account suspended
    Moves
    25 Jul '12 14:32
    Originally posted by steve45
    Thanks. Would love to see a kasparov verses anand world championship match for old time sake. My money would still be on the old champ.
    no way, the only reason he won the last encounter was because of his ill tempered
    behaviour, Vishy and Boris was an exemplary world championship as far as the spirit of
    chess was concerned, Kaspers is a megalomaniac.
  5. Joined
    17 Jan '06
    Moves
    25 Jul '12 16:59
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    no way, the only reason he won the last encounter was because of his ill tempered
    behaviour, Vishy and Boris was an exemplary world championship as far as the spirit of
    chess was concerned, Kaspers is a megalomaniac.
    I agree, but "mad, bad and dangerous to know" characters really bring out the spectators. An outspoken world-class GM with a fiery attitude generates controversy and hence more interest from the media. We like our bad boys since they add spice to the game. Watching their antics can be a guilty pleasure.

I am nonetheless very pleased with the wonderful sportsmanship of Vishy Anand and Boris Gelfand, especially in an increasingly uncivil world where such virtues are not prized, but perhaps if they had a tiny whiff of scandal about them, it might have made the match more interesting. Like, for example, if a disgruntled former girlfriend of Vishy claimed that he was a terrible kisser.
  6. Standard memberSteve45
    Mozart
    liverpool
    Moves
    25 Jul '12 17:10
    I take it kasparov isnt on your christmas card list then robbie. Like him or not, he was an still is one of the best players ever to have played our game.
  7. Account suspended
    Moves
    25 Jul '12 17:22
    I take it kasparov isnt on your christmas card list then robbie. Like him or not, he was an still is one of the best players ever to have played our game.
    Hi steve, he is simply not a chess player with whom i can identify, i dont understand his
    chess and i dont understand his behaviour, perhaps if I understood it would make
    things easier. I do like his facial expressions though when he plays a game of chess,
    he's quite expressive.
  8. Standard memberSteve45
    Mozart
    liverpool
    Moves
    25 Jul '12 17:39
    Hey robbie, the great thing about any sport, is the diffrent era,s and diffrent champions. Then its down to the likes of us to compare, debate an sometimes argue, who was the best. But your right, he did look moody didnt he, but i think that was just mega concentration.
  9. Joined
    31 Oct '05
    Moves
    25 Jul '12 17:44
    Hi steve, he is simply not a chess player with whom i can identify, i dont understand his
    chess and i dont understand his behaviour, perhaps if I understood it would make
    things easier. I do like his facial expressions though when he plays a game of chess,
    he's quite expressive.
    I'd bet you don't like Bobby Fischer either, but I'm not much of a gambler.
  10. Account suspended
    Moves
    25 Jul '12 18:37
    Originally posted by hamworld
    I'd bet you don't like Bobby Fischer either, but I'm not much of a gambler.
    are you joking? Fischer da man! I have on my little chess computer 100 Fischer games,
    100 Karpov games, 100 Kasparov games and some deep blue games. When you play
    through the Fischer games, they are easily the most accessible and easy to
    understand, this is not the case with either Karpov or Kasparov.
  11. Account suspended
    Moves
    25 Jul '12 18:37
    Hey robbie, the great thing about any sport, is the diffrent era,s and diffrent champions. Then its down to the likes of us to compare, debate an sometimes argue, who was the best. But your right, he did look moody didnt he, but i think that was just mega concentration.
    not just moody, he was very expressive 🙂
  12. Standard memberThabtos
    I am become Death
    Moves
    26 Jul '12 03:17
    A really interesting take on Kasparov's foray into politics is contained in Masha Gessen's biography of Putin, "The man without a face."

I wondered why Kasparov was uncannily silent during the last Russian election. As it turns out, when he was most visibly involved in Russian politics, people would cancel the venues for his speaking engagements, deter people from hearing him speak, and he was even pelted with tomatoes when visiting the graves of victims of a terrorist attack gone wrong.

The state-controlled Russian media refers to Kasparov as a "former grandmaster."
  13. Standard memberThabtos
    I am become Death
    Moves
    26 Jul '12 03:18
    he's quite expressive.
    Who do you understand, then? To me Kasparov's play is crystal-clear.

I've always wanted to play like Karpov, but his style is something I don't understand.
  14. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    26 Jul '12 04:45
    Originally posted by homedepotov
    I agree, but "mad, bad and dangerous to know" characters really bring out the spectators. An outspoken world-class GM with a fiery attitude generates controversy and hence more interest from the media. We like our bad boys since they add spice to the game. Watching their antics can be a guilty pleasure.

I am nonetheless very pleased with the wonderful ...[text shortened]... r example, if a disgruntled former girlfriend of Vishy claimed that he was a terrible kisser.
    To promote boxing matches in the USA to bring in more money the boxers always seem to hate the other guy for some reason or another. It seems to make for a more interesting fight, like Mike Tyson biting a chunck out of Holyfield's ear.
  15. Donationketchuplover
    Isolated Pawn
    Wisconsin USA
    Moves
    26 Jul '12 08:59
    Kasparov's play/style is clear? I can only conclude that you are indeed.....

GAR(R)Y KASPAROV!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ps. Nice to meet you 🙂

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree