1. Account suspended
    Moves
    23 Jan '09 19:422 edits
    yes most excellent, enjoyed the notes, for those who are interested i reproduce some of the main thoughts from the illustrious streetfighters own notes - regards robbie.

1.Nf3

Having successfully dabbled in this move recently - see 'Chess Psychology 101' - I decided it was a good way to get my mind working from early on, rather than playing some theoretical lines where only the memory plays a part for the first 15 or 20 moves!

...Nf6

2.c4 g6

Since I had no idea which opening my opponent favoured, I was trying to pick up on any nuances from his body language/facial expressions etc. Here he paused for some 30 seconds, as though there might be some other response he was considering. This gave me the idea that perhaps he wasn't an 'expert' in any specific opening here!? By this I mean that, for example, someone who plays the King's Indian Defence all the time would push ...g6 immediately, without thought. My opponent, however, paused. We will see how this tiny nugget of information was to come in useful on move 6.

3.Nc3 Bg7
    4.e4 d6
    5.d4 0-0

So we do indeed have the King's Indian Defence. The most common move now is 6.Be2, but there is a lot of theory on it. With the inkling I had that this opening wasn't totally familiar territory for my opponent, I decided to play a less-well regarded move, but one which often leads to sharp, less-theoretical positions. I could recall the general strategies for both sides and wanted to see if my opponent could do the same.

6.h3 e5
    7.d5 Na6
    8.Bg5 h6

(..h6)This move is playable, but black must remember that it is also a weakening of his king-side and could become a target for white to attack.

9.Be3 b6

Striking gold! This move is simply bad and a sure sign that black doesn't know how to play this line properly, vindicating my opening choice completely. He was worried about me winning a pawn if he played the immediate 9...Nc5 (the correct move) by 10.Bxc5 dxc5 11.Nxe5, but after 11...Re8 (or even the immediate 11...Nxe4) black would have a fine game. What is so bad about the text move ...b6? Well, white's strategy is very simple here - to play g4, Be2, Qc2, 0-0-0,Rdg1 and then push h4 with an attack! Black must counter this, and the best way to do so is to play Nc5, a5, Bd7, c6, cxd5 then a4 and Qa5. This strategy would ensure black equal chances as white's king would be equally vulnerable. It is obvious now that black's chosen move 9...b6? does not aid this strategy in any way, and in fact only serves to make it more difficult.

so it seems, that if i understand streetfighter correctly, a correct tactical evaluation would have lead to good play and the formulation of the correct plan, is it not so?
  2. Joined
    02 Jul '08
    Moves
    23 Jan '09 20:13
    so it seems, that if i understand streetfighter correctly, a correct tactical evaluation would have lead to good play and the formulation of the correct plan, is it not so?

Pretty much correct Robbie. My opponent had a fair idea what his plan should be, but his incorrect tactical calculations (or rather, a superficial tactical analysis of the position) led to him wasting time with moves which don't fit into the grand scheme.

What has to be remembered though, is that these decisions have to be made many, many times during a game. Plans have to be adaptable and flexible to allow for deviations from the 'grand strategy' (the plan you would play if you could make your opponent's moves for him!).

For example, you may be planning to launch an attack and mate your opponent (my plan in the game above), but if he defends against it (...Ng8 & ...f6), you have to look for a new target, something which his defence perhaps weakened (in this instance the g6-pawn).

At every stage you have to be calculating the tactics/combinations/move orders which will allow you to exploit these weaknesses.

Chess isn't easy, but when it all comes together it feels good! I was extremely pleased with my play in this game-it felt like I was playing 'proper' chess at a high level (which isn't always the case with me! : )
  3. Account suspended
    Moves
    23 Jan '09 20:231 edit
    Originally posted by streetfighter
    [b] so it seems, that if i understand streetfighter correctly, a correct tactical evaluation would have lead to good play and the formulation of the correct plan, is it not so?

Pretty much correct Robbie. My opponent had a fair idea what his plan should be, but his incorrect tactical calculations (or rather, a superficial tactical analysis of t e I was playing 'proper' chess at a high level (which isn't always the case with me! : )[/b]
    my goodness! what about us guys way down here, were happy to make ice cubes while you guys are producing ice sculptures. but this point is really important that you make, it was a superficial tactical analysis of the position that led to his downfall, how very very instructive my friend. the question is, how are noobs like me able to acquire this level of decision making? we continue to practice little sets of tactical exercises, yet deeper and more profound elements exist and yet evade us! if i had any money i would pay you to make me into a chess legend, but as it is im skint, anyhow thanks you so much for input and help in clarifying this matter, very helpful and most instructive - kind regards robbie.
  4. Account suspended
    Moves
    23 Jan '09 20:47
    anymore of you guys willing to contribute some games where thematic ideas prevailed, what about beetle? mr buchmanfromfics, greenpawn dude?
  5. Joined
    12 May '07
    Moves
    24 Jan '09 15:39
    If you want general principles just read fundamentals by capablanca.

Remember, Strategy is the what? Tactics are the how!

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree