Get to 2000 at speed chess

Get to 2000 at speed chess

Only Chess

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

T

London

Moves
29 Mar 07

Originally posted by vipiu
I believe you...because I know that 1967 on fics is preatty strong, most of FMs are around 2000 (+/-100). What it is still provisional for you it is your RHP rating, that needs more games to get where you should be (and procedure, getting used with long games, databases use, etc)
Someone reasonable! Thanks.

I'm currently 1990 Blitz FICS in fact, and 2115 FICS Standard. Although the 'best' column for my standard says 2068. My best blitz FICS is 2019. Just to be clear.

I have a friend trying to get me to go to the Berlin Bug, btw. Maybe, maybe not...

v

Moves
29 Mar 07

Originally posted by TommyC
Someone reasonable! Thanks.

I'm currently 1990 Blitz FICS in fact, and 2115 FICS Standard. Although the 'best' column for my standard says 2068. My best blitz FICS is 2019. Just to be clear.

I have a friend trying to get me to go to the Berlin Bug, btw. Maybe, maybe not...
do you play bughouse ? what is your bughouse rating ?

T

London

Moves
29 Mar 07

No I don't play - or not yet. I have a good buddy from the London chess scene who is very into Bug. He offered to train me up via FICS if I commit to going in advance... I'm thinking about it...

w
If Theres Hell Below

We're All Gonna Go!

Moves
29 Mar 07

I know you're a bughouse freak, so what exactly is the big deal with it? I've seen quite a lot of people who have gotten almost exclusively to bug from regular chess. haven't tried it, but even the idea of a partner messing up my game feels just so bad to me. (in reality it would be me messing up my partner's game of course...)

and what's with the ratings? isn't it totally depended on your partner?

v

Moves
29 Mar 07

Originally posted by wormwood
I know you're a bughouse freak, so what exactly is the big deal with it? I've seen quite a lot of people who have gotten almost exclusively to bug from regular chess. haven't tried it, but even the idea of a partner messing up my game feels just so bad to me. (in reality it would be me messing up my partner's game of course...)

and what's with the ratings? isn't it totally depended on your partner?
it is nice because it is a nice way to transform chess in a team game...
yes, the game depends of the team, but the rating is the rating: better players have higher ratings...
The strength of the team will be somehow around the average rating of the players.
Anyway, the nicest part is the comunity...it is sooo funny to see them fighting and shouting after a game that they lost, blaming the partner...
It is fun to share the happyness when you win, and the hate when you loose.

w
If Theres Hell Below

We're All Gonna Go!

Moves
29 Mar 07

it is nice because it is a nice way to transform chess in a team game...
yes, the game depends of the team, but the rating is the rating: better players have higher ratings...
The strength of the team will be somehow around the average rating of the players.
Anyway, the nicest part is the comunity...it is sooo funny to see them fighting and shouting after a ...[text shortened]... ming the partner...
It is fun to share the happyness when you win, and the hate when you loose.
okay, that's sort of what I thought. I've never been a 'team player', so I guess that's why all that doesn't really work for me.

z

Moves
29 Mar 07

I guessed all along that Tommy C would pull a stunt like using a provisional rating or play his buddy many times to get an inflated provisional rating.

*muhaha*

b

Hainesport, NJ, USA

Moves
29 Mar 07

What is the point of practicing with Gnu when you could play on playchess as a guest, analyze the game later if you want. Wouldn't that be more realistic. My experience is that you get an opponent in seconds as a guest. Just a thought.

T

London

Moves
29 Mar 07

Originally posted by z00t
I guessed all along that Tommy C would pull a stunt like using a provisional rating or play his buddy many times to get an inflated provisional rating.

*muhaha*
I've met some internet morons in my time, but you take the biscuit. Congratulations on a new low!

I was thinking of adding a note to FICS profile proving I am who I am and then letting you know my handle. Or typing out the handles of my playchess opponents, so everyone else can see that you are wrong - which I'm sure you already have realised but are unwilling to say.

But frankly, I'm done being trolled by patzers like you and FL. I'm just going to ignore you both from now on.

FL

over there

Moves
30 Mar 07

I've met some internet morons in my time, but you take the biscuit. Congratulations on a new low!

I was thinking of adding a note to FICS profile proving I am who I am and then letting you know my handle. Or typing out the handles of my playchess opponents, so everyone else can see that you are wrong - which I'm sure you already have realised but are unwil ...[text shortened]... one being trolled by patzers like you and FL. I'm just going to ignore you both from now on.
Hey, all I asked is for you to back up your claims. You've only played 12 games at Playchess, therefore the rating isn't official yet.

z

Moves
30 Mar 07
2 edits

I was thinking of adding a note to FICS profile proving I am who I am and then letting you know my handle. Or typing out the handles of my playchess opponents, so everyone else can see that you are wrong - which I'm sure you already have realised but are unwil one being trolled by patzers like you and FL. I'm just going to ignore you both from now on.
Your a sissy TommyC, you play 12 games and 5 of those are against the same player do you think we are kids or what not to know what a provisional rating is? Is that why you have played a handful of games on this site too? Finish playing 50-100 games here and on PlayChess and we will see you aint no sissy.

I hate seeing men chickening out like sissies. Next time tell your sister to play at least she won't chicken out.

Z8

Moves
30 Mar 07

Uh Oh, Do I see another grudge match happenin? 🙂

c

Moves
30 Mar 07

Originally posted by z00t

*muhaha*
Z00t, thanks for the tips - following your limited games approach per day and soem other tips helped my rating peak at 1525 - over 100 points higher than where I had ever been able to get it.

z

Moves
30 Mar 07

Originally posted by buddy2
What is the point of practicing with Gnu when you could play on playchess as a guest, analyze the game later if you want. Wouldn't that be more realistic. My experience is that you get an opponent in seconds as a guest. Just a thought.
The reason for playing with GNUChess or another human being outside of Playchess is that you are using that as a preparation. Guest games are too informal and in some cases the guys don't know openings. Certainly GNUChess is better than weakening Fritz as a weak Fritz plays like a GM in some situations and then makes non-human blunders.

b

Hainesport, NJ, USA

Moves
31 Mar 07

I do agree that some guests on playchess don't know openings., compared to members. I also agree that fritz has difficulty playing "human" chess, as it plays superbly in opening, gets advantage, then plays stupid moves to even out the game right down to the ending. However I don't see point in playing a machine that plays human like when you have humans who do the same. The only advantage i can see to use Gnu is the opportunity to select openings played beforehand and the speed in which you can get the opponent. I may be crazy but it seems logical to me that if you want to prepare to play humans, playing humans is the best way. I guess restricting yourself to a few games to keep yourself fresh for your games is a good idea, but it counters the idea that blitz should be fun. If you are a 1500 player playing twenty games a day and an 1800 player at, say, three games a day, what does that mean? Should you average the two to get your true rating, or always pick the highest to reflect your ability? My rating here is lots higher than playing blitz (i think) because i sometimes use databases when i get into a line i don't recognize. Also, i have lots more time to consider a move which helps. When i play blitz i will sometimes get crushed in opening. I'll go back over the game to see what was reccomended by Fritz. That way i learn while i play, slowly, ever so slowly plugging up gaps in my knowledge of the game. By the way, when playing "guests" in playchess, you do get some clunkers, but you also get people who really know what they're doing. And you have no idea who you're playing, sort of like walking into a chess club and playing all these strangers you don't know anything about. When playing as a member you can see who you're playing and adjust your play accordingly.