1. Joined
    12 Aug '06
    Moves
    25 Jan '07 22:13
    This is not one of the "why don't you resgin you @½#½$#>$½{ patzers!!" threads, believe me. I am asking this out of pure curiosity.

Imagine you are playing a game where everything went wrong. You've just lost a pawn for no compensation, every single enemy piece is pointing at your shieldless King, and deep inside you know all is over.

Would you resign?

I mean, I believe it is completely pointless to continue a game which is clearly lost. Even 1000 players don't blunder the game away in such situations. OTB, I usually resign when there is a gross material disadvantage. I am depressed in such situations, and I just do not want to see my opponet shoot a "ha, I beat you!" look to me all the time.

I enjoy people who do not give up though. OTB, they do it just beacuse they want to irritate the opponent, a weak attempt to save their ego. They think of chess as a way to convince others that they are smarter than all. I find it disrespectful, and punish them by glaring incessantly at them and checkmating them slooooowly.

QandK vs K situations are fine with me if my opponent has 30 seconds in his clock, though. I am sure everybody will agree me on this. Feel free to post if you don't, though 😛

The question is not "shouldn't they resign?" but "should we resign?"
  2. Joined
    20 Jan '07
    Moves
    25 Jan '07 22:321 edit
    Originally posted by anthias
    This is not one of the "why don't you resgin you @½#½$#>$½{ patzers!!" threads, believe me. I am asking this out of pure curiosity.

Imagine you are playing a game where everything went wrong. You've just lost a pawn for no compensation, every single enemy piece is pointing at your shieldless King, and deep inside you know all is over.

Would you resign , though 😛

Get a life.
  3. Account suspended
    Moves
    25 Jan '07 22:36

Would you resign ...[text shortened]... , though 😛

simple... the possibility of a stalemate...
    i managed a draw against my best friend who had a king and queen to a king and pawn for me...
    he stalemated, and the feeling of getting a stalemate in such positions is comparable to beating someone rated 300 higher than urself...
    or at least it is for me...
    also, i have found that continuing to play through an obviously lost position will tick off the winning side... which makes me laugh...
  4. Joined
    12 Aug '06
    Moves
    25 Jan '07 22:39
    Originally posted by rubberjaw30

...i have found that continuing to play through an obviously lost position will tick off the winning side... which makes me laugh...
    You've read the whole post, right?
  5. Joined
    20 Jan '07
    Moves
    25 Jan '07 22:403 edits

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

6. Joined
    21 Apr '06
    Moves
    25 Jan '07 23:02
    Originally posted by GinoJ
    Get a life.
    It took you one edit to write this and three to write your other short message? 😛
  7. Joined
    20 Jan '07
    Moves
    25 Jan '07 23:11
    Originally posted by Bedlam
    It took you one edit to write this and three to write your other short message? 😛
    Who cares?
  8. Joined
    21 Apr '06
    Moves
    25 Jan '07 23:21
    Originally posted by GinoJ
    Who cares?
    I just find it ironic that you are telling someone to get a life for writing a chess based message on a chess forum when both your messages have no point at all.
  9. Joined
    21 Apr '06
    Moves
    25 Jan '07 23:25

Would you resign ...[text shortened]... , though 😛

Id resign when theres no good winning or drawing chances, I wouldnt resign just because they have an unclear attack. When its clearly lost I'll resign quickly I dont like having my king pimped around the board 😛
  10. Joined
    20 Jan '07
    Moves
    25 Jan '07 23:37

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

11. Standard memberDragon Fire
    Lord of all beasts
    searching for truth
    Moves
    25 Jan '07 23:4510 edits
    The post that was quoted here has been removed
    ? 😉
  12. Joined
    21 Apr '06
    Moves
    25 Jan '07 23:46
    The post that was quoted here has been removed
    Theres something called private messages, this is an open forum if you hadnt noticed. 😛
  13. Joined
    26 Nov '03
    Moves
    26 Jan '07 12:492 edits

Would you resign , though 😛

I was playing on in a lost position last night because we were playing at home, and as the away team arrived together they would have to wait for the last person in any case, so I did not feel as if I was wasting his time. He had 2 passed connected pawns on the 5th and 6th rows, otherwise we both had a queen, same colour bishop and 2 connected and one isolated pawns each. But he was really struggling to finish me off as I threw caution to the wind and started to look for a pepetual check, he did enough to avoid it but kept missing opportunities to win (at one stage I actually thought I might get back into the game). But it was lost because I had opted for adjudication, as soon as the penultimate game (apart from ours) finished with them taking a 3.5 to 0.5 lead I resigned. But I think it's childish to consider factors such as 'disrespectful' and glaring at them. By the way did you mean if you only had a king left with 30 seconds on your opponents clock, as I understand it, you cannot win on time if you don't have mating material. therefore if your opponent runs out of time it's a draw, not a win to you.
    Edit 1: added connected to passed pawns
    Edit 2 deleted the 's' after bishop
    No wonder I got beat if it takes me 2 edits to get this simple post correct
  14. NYC
    Moves
    26 Jan '07 14:13
    Being new to the game, resigning a hopeless situatuation seems to be the right thing to do. But if there is any glimmer of hope(OTB), like an opponenent who may make an error , then I would try for the stalemate. If its internet the _uck it! resign and play another! I mean why waste the most valuable resource I have...My Time ...tick tick tick!

😀

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree