1. Edmonton, Alberta
    Moves
    23 Apr '07 20:34
    GM Yermolinsky was in Edmonton for his second visit. As usual, he gave a simul. and lectures. There was a seat available so I got to play him. My friend and I were the last 2 remaining and I resigned got his autograph and then Yermolinsky walked over to my friend and said, Okay just you and me, and he resigned also. I almost had him in a fork. He moved his queen, said fork laughed and moved his queen somewhere else.

Learnt lots of good tips from his lecture and he went over an amazing game. He had fun in Edmonton again and said we had one of the best chess clubs he had ever been too.

RK
  2. Joined
    30 Oct '05
    Moves
    23 Apr '07 20:38
    Originally posted by RahimK
    GM Yermolinsky was in Edmonton for his second visit. As usual, he gave a simul. and lectures. There was a seat available so I got to play him. My friend and I were the last 2 remaining and I resigned got his autograph and then Yermolinsky walked over to my friend and said, Okay just you and me, and he resigned also. I almost had him in a fork. He moved his qu ...[text shortened]... ad fun in Edmonton again and said we had one of the best chess clubs he had ever been too.

RK
    So no one scored a win? How many did he face?
  3. 127.0.0.1
    Moves
    23 Apr '07 20:47
    Care to share the pgn?
  4. Joined
    29 Jul '06
    Moves
    23 Apr '07 23:291 edit
    I've heard Yermolinsky lecture before (it was on bishop endgames) and though it was very informative, his accent was quite thick, making it really difficult to understand him at times.

and like zebano, I'd also like to see the pgn
  5. London
    Moves
    24 Apr '07 04:08
    GM Yermolinsky was in Edmonton for his second visit. As usual, he gave a simul. and lectures. There was a seat available so I got to play him. My friend and I were the last 2 remaining and I resigned got his autograph and then Yermolinsky walked over to my friend and said, Okay just you and me, and he resigned also. I almost had him in a fork. He moved his qu ...[text shortened]... ad fun in Edmonton again and said we had one of the best chess clubs he had ever been too.

RK
    Great opportunity...I have his excellent book: "The Road To Chess Improvement"..do post the pgn if you can find the time.
  6. Joined
    30 Aug '06
    Moves
    24 Apr '07 04:122 edits
    I almost had him in a fork. He moved his queen, said fork laughed and moved his queen somewhere else.
    I'm surprised you didn't say, "You touched it!" 😕
  7. Joined
    19 Nov '05
    Moves
    24 Apr '07 07:15
    He probably moved the same piece, just to a different square.
  8. Joined
    19 Nov '05
    Moves
    24 Apr '07 08:04
    This is really cool! GM Yermo lectures almost every week at the Mechanics Institute Chess Club, 40 minutes away from where I live. 🙂 Please post the game.
  9. London
    Moves
    24 Apr '07 11:50
    He moved his queen, said fork laughed and moved his queen somewhere else.
    Maybe he noticed the pupils of your eyes dilating or some other minuscule signal!
  10. Joined
    28 Nov '06
    Moves
    24 Apr '07 13:46
    Yeah, post the game, if you would.
  11. Standard memberRaven69
    Different
    Moves
    24 Apr '07 16:28
    He had fun in Edmonton again and said we had one of the best chess clubs he had ever been too.
    Nice. 🙂

Were there any wins/draws?
  12. Joined
    25 Sep '04
    Moves
    24 Apr '07 19:221 edit
    Originally posted by RahimKLearnt lots of good tips from his lecture and he went over an amazing game. He had fun in Edmonton again and said we had one of the best chess clubs he had ever been too.RK
    You may want to check out his book Road To Chess Improvement. It’s based on the lectures he and Boris Men gave when they lived in Cleveland. Be advised unlike most authors, he does not advocate any shortcuts or reveal any “once secret Russian training methods” that’ll help you win more games. His “road” is based on a lot of hard work. That’s why I haven’t done any more than skim through it, but if I was really serious about improving, I’d dig into it.
  13. Joined
    28 Nov '06
    Moves
    24 Apr '07 21:07
    Originally posted by masscat
    You may want to check out his book Road To Chess Improvement. It’s based on the lectures he and Boris Men gave when they lived in Cleveland. Be advised unlike most authors, he does not advocate any shortcuts or reveal any “once secret Russian training methods” that’ll help you win more games. His “road” is based on a lot of hard work. That’s why I haven’t done any more than skim through it, but if I was really serious about improving, I’d dig into it.
    Speaking of the Russian training method, have any of you used Lev Alburt's Comprehensive Chess Course? I am thinking about buying it.
  14. Joined
    30 Aug '06
    Moves
    24 Apr '07 21:311 edit
    Originally posted by exigentsky
    He probably moved the same piece, just to a different square.
    The Conductor is not bound by the touch move rules, and may retract a move, but only before making a move on the next board; however, a player is bound by touch move rules.

http://www.thaistudents.com/chessclub/tim_05.html
  15. Joined
    19 Jun '06
    Moves
    24 Apr '07 22:061 edit
    Originally posted by Ice Cold
    The Conductor is not bound by the touch move rules, and may retract a move, but only before making a move on the next board; however, a player is bound by touch move rules.

http://www.thaistudents.com/chessclub/tim_05.html
    At one time I tried to find some kind of official rules for chess simuls, but I couldn't find anything. As far as I can tell, the people hosting the simul are free to make any new or modified rules that they care to make, as long as they state the different rules in advance. So Yermolinsky may or may not have been bound by the touch move rule, depending on the specific rules for that simul.

However, in small, informal simuls, I suspect that there may not even be any formal published rules for the simul, and the GM can pretty much make up the rules as things develop, and nobody will care very much, as long as his rules are reasonable.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree