1. Joined
    23 Jul '05
    Moves
    18 Mar '07 12:00
    Game 3083557

I've just completed this game against a smith-morra gambit.

Personally felt the game was very cramp, and I struggled not to lose any pieces, but luckily I didn't; I was able to trade down my pieces, and to a winnable endgame.

What are your thoughts on it?
  2. Standard memberDutch Defense
    Stealer of Souls
    Account suspended
    Moves
    18 Mar '07 12:02
    Originally posted by Bad wolf
    Game 3083557

Personally felt the game was very cramp, and I struggled not to lose any pieces, but luckily I didn't; I was able to trade down my pieces, and to a winnable endgame.

Nice win. 😀
  3. Joined
    23 Jul '05
    Moves
    18 Mar '07 12:04
    Originally posted by Dutch Defense
    Nice win. 😀
    Thanks. 🙂
  4. Standard memberRagnorak
    For RHP addons...
    tinyurl.com/yssp6g
    Moves
    18 Mar '07 12:08
    Game 3083557

Your opponent didn't really know what he was doing. He needed to get his queen off the d file and get the rooks dominating the c and d files (which only started at move 20). 8 Bg5 was also a poor move, and a waste of tempo.

D
  5. Joined
    23 Jul '05
    Moves
    18 Mar '07 12:17
    Originally posted by Ragnorak
    Your opponent didn't really know what he was doing. He needed to get his queen off the d file and get the rooks dominating the c and d files (which only started at move 20). 8 Bg5 was also a poor move, and a waste of tempo.

D
    What about the moves I played?
  6. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Quarantined World
    Moves
    18 Mar '07 12:45

D
    According to my database 8. Bg5 is the most popular move in that position played 71% of the time. The highest rated game it occured in was Konstantin Landa (2597) vs Garry Kasparov in 1988 which ended in a draw, so I don't think you should be so quick to dismiss it. The game left precedent with 10 Qd2, and I think you're right that the queen should leave the d-file, as Qe2 has been played instead.

According to Crafty 15. Ba2 is the first move that costs white initiative, at least the score becomes negative for the first time. After that white slowly loses compensation for the pawn and misses some tricks like 16. Nd5. The losing mistake from white is to miss 45. Bd8+ which forfeits the a pawn.

Bad Wolf: You played fine. I like 43. ... Nd7 and 44. ... Nf8 to keep the king out of g6.
  7. Standard memberDragon Fire
    Lord of all beasts
    searching for truth
    Moves
    18 Mar '07 14:14
    Game 3083557

White lost his way about move 10. Qe2 with the intention of playing Rac1 and Rfd1 would have been better than the lines played and caused black greater difficulty.

This game proves that when you play a gambit it only takes a few small inaccuracies to end up a pawn down in a "lost" position and you capitalised on those inaccuracies well.
  8. Standard memberDragon Fire
    Lord of all beasts
    searching for truth
    Moves
    18 Mar '07 14:16

D
    Bg5 and its retreat to e3 is not at all bad as it creates weaknesses in the black pawn structure, although I generally prefer f4 trying to force e5 (before retreating to e3) as this cements the weakness on d6 and with Rooks on d1 and e1 white has excellent attacking chances.
  9. Joined
    05 Feb '07
    Moves
    18 Mar '07 14:55
    Game 3083557

The classic adopt plan B and the guy might be lost.
  10. Joined
    14 Jul '06
    Moves
    18 Mar '07 15:523 edits
    Originally posted by Dragon Fire
    White lost his way about move 10. Qe2 with the intention of playing Rac1 and Rfd1 would have been better than the lines played and caused black greater difficulty.

This game proves that when you play a gambit it only takes a few small inaccuracies to end up a pawn down in a "lost" position and you capitalised on those inaccuracies well.
    What he said.

The Simth-Morra is only any good if you understand the signature moves & the reason behind them.
    Moves such as Qe2, Rd1 then develop the dark-squared bishop, all of which pressures the center - especially black's weak d6 pawn.
    The timing of the e4-e5 pawn thrust, the invasive knight move to b5, or sometimes d5 - it all has to come together in a sequence that allows for a flowing, logical development for an early attack.

In the game shown here, a basic lack of understanding of the SMG was shown.
    Instead of 8.Bg5, 8.Qe2 then Rd1 was the right way to continue.
    Well played by black though.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree