1. Standard memberwanderm
    Detached Obsessive
    Melbourne
    Moves
    23 Aug '23 02:27
    Where are the rating points going? Have there been that many rapid improvers?

I'm not playing enough, but my playing strength would be pretty constant. My RHP rating, though, is not: it was over the 1200-entry point for a fair while, and now is consistently under (probably a 150-point swing). I don't think it's just me: my known guys have had similar declines.

Maybe I'm / we're getting too old for this hobby? That, or 150 isn't significant in the scheme of things.

End rant.
  2. Standard membermchill
    Cryptic
    Behind the scenes
    Moves
    26 Aug '23 13:55
    @wanderm said

I'm not playing enough, but my playing strength would be pretty constant. My RHP rating, though, is not: it was over the 1200-entry point for a fair while, and now is consistently under (probably a 150-point swing). I don't think it's just me: my known guys have had similar declines.

Maybe I'm ...[text shortened]... getting too old for this hobby? That, or 150 isn't significant in the scheme of things.

End rant.
    You may have a legitimate complainant here. Your rating has remained constant for a very long time, this despite completing many games. You might contact Russ about this.
  3. Subscribervenda
    Dave
    S.Yorks.England
    Moves
    26 Aug '23 14:16
    @wanderm said

Maybe I'm ...[text shortened]... getting too old for this hobby? That, or 150 isn't significant in the scheme of things.

End rant.
    I don't think the calculations have changed or we would've been told about it.
    Maybe you've lost games against low rated players?
    I'm sure if the formula had a bug or something there would have been a lot of complaints on here.
  4. Joined
    28 Aug '23
    Moves
    29 Aug '23 18:411 edit
    @wanderm

From late June to late August you have quite a few losses by timeout.
  5. Standard memberwanderm
    Detached Obsessive
    Melbourne
    Moves
    02 Sep '23 22:14
    @OldChessGuy

Thanks for the responses: I really wasn't seeking anything more than putting online a first-world-problem! Maybe I should keep it discreet.

That said, I get that I've thrown a few (losing positions) through resigning or (horrors) abandoning a game. But I'm not sure whether this would actually affect things in the long run?

I could accept that I'm getting rather worse as a chess player: at least in the relative sense.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree